Apple Releases Server Admin Tools 10.5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adding to the flurry of software updates released this week, Apple has released Server Admin Tools 10.5.

Apple's Server Admin Tools software is used to administer (remotely or locally) Apple's Mac OS X Server products. This latest release requires Mac OS 10.5, however it can be installed on either server or client machines.

Article Link

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Our school is waaaaaaay behind on server updates because we haven't even gotten to Tiger yet. I'll be in charge of the technical issues if we ever upgrade, but first the school has to find money to pay for new software. :(

I've never used Workgroup Manager's remote features, only the local control it provides, but we rely on it quite a bit. Some day I hope we'll have Leopard and its more up-to-date Workgroup Manager.

MaliciousDesign

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Our school is waaaaaaay behind on server updates because we haven't even gotten to Tiger yet. I'll be in charge of the technical issues if we ever upgrade, but first the school has to find money to pay for new software. :(

I've never used Workgroup Manager's remote features, only the local control it provides, but we rely on it quite a bit. Some day I hope we'll have Leopard and its more up-to-date Workgroup Manager.
I just ran a software update, and I got this new dl called "Password and login," does anyone know what this is about?

lazereth

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Server Tools does NOT support 10.4 Servers !!!

The Server Tools will not allow you to administer any server other than Leopard - and the Server Tools for 10.4 will not install on Leopard !!! Aghhhh !

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Isn't that fixed by installing Server Admin Tools 10.5?
As of right now, Admin tools 10.5 will only work with 10.5 server. Documents on Apple's website state that it will work with 10.4.11 server but some services will be limited. If I remember correctly they say that DNS services will still need 10.4 admin tools. Which unfortunately won't install on a leopard client system.

At this point I'm using either Remote Desktop 3 or leopard screen sharing on my leopard Macbook to use the Admin tools on my xserve. Or I use my Powermac since it is stuck with tiger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.