Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of visionOS, the software that runs on the Vision Pro headset. The sixth beta came out in November, so it has been a month since Apple last released a visionOS update.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

Only a limited number of developers have access to Vision Pro at this time, with the headsets used for app testing purposes. Most people do not have access to the visionOS beta, and it is not entirely clear what Apple is adding in each visionOS update.

Apple is letting developers attend Vision Pro labs around the world, and developers who visit these locations are able to test the Vision Pro in person and get help from Apple engineers on their visionOS apps.

The Vision Pro headset is not expected until early 2024, so Apple still has time to refine the hardware and software.

Article Link: Apple Releases Seventh Beta of visionOS

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

luigismalucelli

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
I'm super excited for this product, but I know I won't be buying one until 2025/2026 at least.
Prices must come down to me because it would be a toy for me first.
I don't have any real use for this in my life yet.

The same happened to me with the iPad, first it was a toy and now it's my digital notebook

Reactions: AppleFan1998

aibloop

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
We can be pretty sure that Apple Vision is a crucial cog in the wheel for the future of computing.

Does that mean Apple will be successful in being the company that manages to pull off AR for the masses? I think for the foreseable future, yes. Just since Apple announced Apple Vision the temperature on AR is way up… Apple is the company that knows how to break a new paradigm into the world and into the public consciousness.

Apple has the tech to do it aswell, so I wouldn’t be too worried.

I am actually past the hype of AR/VR, an app on Oculus quest 2 convinced me. It’s a painting app, and I am an illustrator irl.

If that app can be done 10x better on Apple Vision, it will be a gamechanger for the artists of the world. Maybe doesn’t even have to be 10x better.

I suspect that is the reality of it, once you see how good doing a thing you know to do in the real world, can be in AR, that will be your killer app…

lm57400

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
I am also surprised the Vision seems not to be hyped, but I can understand it. We are talking about a device which will cost around 4.000 Euro in Europe. It won’t be accessible to million of people.

• Sad
Reactions: AppleFan1998

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
All we need is a sufficient number of trailblazers who purchase a Vision Pro despite the price and despite it being a gen 1 Apple device, to encourage Apple to further develop it and bring prices down over time.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Whilst I will not be a customer for this 1st model of Apple's VR/AR Headset due to both cost and how dramatic changes take place in the 1st few versions of any new Apple product.
I am super keen to see all the Apps/Games/Experiences devs have been working on.
Also what restrictions there will or won't be put into place by Apple.
Will it be allowed to work as a PCVR headset and connect to Steam VR for instance?

I am really not interested whatsoever about things just as a flat screen floating in space running an iPad app.
I'm looking for new experiences and what we can look forward to seeing that's new.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
It astounds me how everyone isn’t hyped for this device.
It is still years from being a tent pole category for Apple. People will be hyped eventually. They need to get the entry level cost down a bit and ergonomics need further iterative improvements. Right now we are seeing developers very hyped since Apple sticks with new platforms they introduce. That is where Apple needs to be at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It is still years from being a tent pole category for Apple. People will be hyped eventually. They need to get the entry level cost down a bit and ergonomics need further iterative improvements. Right now we are seeing developers very hyped since Apple sticks with new platforms they introduce. That is where Apple needs to be at this point.

People are going to be hyped to wear a faceplate?

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
- Not everyone is an Apple fanboy.
- Not everyone is excited about VR in general.

Fair enough. I’m not so surprised that a lot of people aren’t into it, but I am surprised at how little interest there actually is. Regardless of affordability, this is the most technologically advanced product invented by the world’s most popular technology company.

AppleFan1998

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2010
USA
The sweet spot is when these things become slimmer and more affordable, hopefully, they could do it to starting MacBook prices. Those 2nm chips are almost ready, maybe I'll go for the 2nd gen one in 2025.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
this is the most technologically advanced product invented by the world’s most popular technology company.

That’s the problem. Tech for tech’s sake isn’t enough. There has to be a compelling use for it, especially when the price is wearing a headset on your face.

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I think we’ll see some of the VisionPro tech migrate to other devices. iPhones/laptops that track our eyes and watch our hand for signals. I don’t believe anybody thinks that the visionpro will sell like iPhones. I’m an Apple fan boy, but I don’t have an Apple Watch, don’t like things on my wrist. I don’t have the high end Apple headphones, too expensive for all the more I’d use them. But it is tech designed for other project that will filter down to all the other products that I am looking forward to.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I think we’ll see some of the VisionPro tech migrate to other devices. iPhones/laptops that track our eyes and watch our hand for signals. I don’t believe anybody thinks that the visionpro will sell like iPhones. I’m an Apple fan boy, but I don’t have an Apple Watch, don’t like things on my wrist. I don’t have the high end Apple headphones, too expensive for all the more I’d use them. But it is tech designed for other project that will filter down to all the other products that I am looking forward to.

Honestly, it looks to me as if the Vision system is a scaled down version of the tech they were working on for a self driving car.

Reactions: klspahr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.