Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a the release candidate of the Studio Display 17 firmware beta, with the update coming two weeks after the fourth beta.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

All Studio Display models are able to receive over-the-air firmware updates, but this firmware update is limited to Macs that are running the new macOS Sonoma operating system at the current time.

Studio Display owners running macOS Sonoma can go to System Settings > Software Update to install the firmware.

Both macOS Sonoma and the new Studio Display firmware will see a release on September 26.

Article Link: Apple Releases Studio Display 17 Firmware Release Candidate

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think you guys meant Studio Display 27 not 17.

This confused me for a moment. I thought there were some new displays released that I didn’t notice before.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
This update bricked my studio display. I was running with the laptop in clamshell mode and the studio display was stuck on the dreaded "support.apple.com/displays/restore" message. I ended up having to open the laptop, finish all other updates on the laptop screen, disconnect the thunderbolt from the monitor and computer, power cycle the monitor by pulling the power plug, and plugging it all back in. When the monitor powered on it still had the message. After reconnecting the thunderbolt and waiting 5 minutes - and doing nothing - the monitor restarted and tried to update again. This time (the 10th or 11th attempt, but first with the laptop open) it worked and the studio display now behaves like normal. Awesome process :|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.