Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Man 10.11.6 is running fine on my 12" rMB do I want to rattle the bee's nest ?

Guessing you are talking about upgrading to 10.2.x from 10.1.x? After backing up (and preferably taking an image of your drive for quick restoration), feel free, the water in 10.2 is fine....

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Installed this on my 2015 rMBP - I walked away while it was installing, came back about 15 minutes later to a black screen, hit the trackpad and got the colored pinwheel. Waited 10 minutes and nothing but the colored wheel. Powered off and on, login screen appeared, and I entered my password. Then the "spoked" wheel appeared and stayed. I left it for 15 minutes with no change. Powered off, booted in safe mode, tried to login and got the spoked wheel again.

Started some Googling and eventually followed the procedure here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7428876?tstart=0 (thank goodness I had an Administrator account set up). Used Terminal to delete the 4 files and then restarted. After that my login went fine.

Reactions: Tollilf

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
Not anymore. The oldest one still supported as such is yosemite, which will probably cease when macOS 10.13 is released.

But this El Capitan one updates the build number from 15G1212 to 15G1217.
Once again Mac users are being dealt the short hand. OS X Mavericks is not old and only second to Snow Leopard in later releases for stability.
There are those who choose to remain on OS X Mavericks and Apple should respect that decision by continuing to offer support.

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
El Capitan 10.11.6 on my rMBP is so stable I may not update to Sierra until its 10.12.6 is out. This security update will keep me content in the meanwhile.

Reactions: arefbe

Whitfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Holy crap, this was APPLE'S fault?? I've been banging my head against this problem for weeks now, trying to figure out what "kernel task" could possibly be demanding 95% of my 2012 rMBP's resources. :mad:

Reactions: jscooper22

Whitfield

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
Holy crap, this was APPLE'S fault?? I've been banging my head against this problem for weeks now, trying to figure out what "kernel task" could possibly be demanding 95% of my 2012 rMBP's resources. :mad:

Not sure about others' experience here, but not only has this not fixed my kernel_task errors, but now I'm experiencing even more memory/CPU headaches. Every hour or so almost all of my apps will become unresponsive, they can't be brought to the front or quit normally. If I force quit them then I can easily open them again, so it's not an issue with total load on the system (2012 rMBP/16GB/750GB with 120GB free). I've already run fsck and other housecleaning tasks and restarted multiple times. I'm about to throw this *&$% computer out the window.

Reactions: Tollilf

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I was only seeing the problem every other day or so, but haven't seen it (or any of the problems you're encountering) since I installed the update. Also have not seen as many kernel complaints in the system log since the update.

Tollilf

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Bothell, WA, USA
Not sure about others' experience here, but not only has this not fixed my kernel_task errors, but now I'm experiencing even more memory/CPU headaches. Every hour or so almost all of my apps will become unresponsive, they can't be brought to the front or quit normally. If I force quit them then I can easily open them again, so it's not an issue with total load on the system (2012 rMBP/16GB/750GB with 120GB free). I've already run fsck and other housecleaning tasks and restarted multiple times. I'm about to throw this *&$% computer out the window.

It killed my 2012 MBPro. After install got slow logon, apps hung, got kernel and log taking up major CPU, did that twice and now after reboot got the gray folder and question mark. Disk not found in recovery. Put a known good disk in, not found! Tried pram and smc reset - no luck! This patch killed my system!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It killed my 2012 MBPro. After install got slow logon, apps hung, got kernel and log taking up major CPU, did that twice and now after reboot got the gray folder and question mark. Disk not found in recovery. Put a known good disk in, not found! Tried pram and smc reset - no luck! This patch killed my system!
These computers are very prone to failure of the cable that connects the disk to the computer. It seems likely that's the problem you're having, not related to this update.

Tollilf

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Bothell, WA, USA
These computers are very prone to failure of the cable that connects the disk to the computer. It seems likely that's the problem you're having, not related to this update.

It seems crazy that a cable would just fail - it's not being flexed, not moved - why would it fail? I hope that is it - because otherwise this patch is a real killer!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It seems crazy that a cable would just fail - it's not being flexed, not moved - why would it fail? I hope that is it - because otherwise this patch is a real killer!
The cable is flat and rubs against the bottom of the computer. As the computer flexes during use or when being transported, the metal can damage the plastic insulation on the cable.

Tollilf

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Bothell, WA, USA
The cable is flat and rubs against the bottom of the computer. As the computer flexes during use or when being transported, the metal can damage the plastic insulation on the cable.

Replaced the SATA cable - works fine again. Wow - never had a SATA cable fail before. It looked perfect condition - must have been invisible damage.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Replaced the SATA cable - works fine again. Wow - never had a SATA cable fail before. It looked perfect condition - must have been invisible damage.
Glad to hear it's fixed. Unfortunately this is a pretty common problem on these computers.

normang

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
Maple Grove, MN
Does the supplemental update merely fix something in the original update and leave the build # alone or does it change the build # again?

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
It had a new build # (15G1217). As to whether it "merely fixed something in the original update" who knows - Apple rarely tells all. It fixed the problem the original update caused (at least on my machine), but it might have included other tweaks/fixes as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.