Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS Monterey 12.5 update to its public beta testing group, with the update coming one day after Apple provided the beta to developers.

macOS-Monterey-on-MBP-Feature.jpg

Public beta testers can download the macOS Monterey 12.5 update from the Software Update section of the System Preferences app after installing the proper profile from Apple's beta software website.

There's no word yet on what new features or changes might be included in macOS Monterey 12.5, and nothing new was found in the first developer beta. Apple has provided no details on this time, so we may need to wait for release to find out what bug fixes or minor changes might be included.

macOS Monterey 12.5 is likely to be one of the final updates to the macOS Monterey operating system as Apple begins its transition to the next-generation version of macOS, macOS Ventura. macOS Ventura is set to be released this fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Public Beta of macOS Monterey 12.5

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
nice. bring on the finished product. I'm tired of huge downloads and I need the full installer for backup and restore.

Reactions: Morod

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’m waiting on 12.5.2 before I update from Big Sur 11.6.7. I noticed since upgraded to 11.6.7 on my M1 MacBook Pro, wireless no longer works. It shows that it’s connected, but I had to use my USB C Ethernet adapter.

Usually don’t rush to get these updates, but it’s another reminder of why you wait these out.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I’m waiting on 12.5.2 before I update from Big Sur 11.6.7. I noticed since upgraded to 11.6.7 on my M1 MacBook Pro, wireless no longer works. It shows that it’s connected, but I had to use my USB C Ethernet adapter.

Usually don’t rush to get these updates, but it’s another reminder of why you wait these out.
Oh sure, you said waiting on 12.5 earlier. Maybe 12.5.2 never happens. :D

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm a fairly early adopter, therefore I'll jump on Ventura at the 13.1 release, just to avoid the very initial release.
I like to format my systems often, therefore it's no big deal.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm a fairly early adopter, therefore I'll jump on Ventura at the 13.1 release, just to avoid the very initial release.
I like to format my systems often, therefore it's no big deal.
The way to avoid issues is to beta test a OS to see if it works out for you now, not waiting for the release. As you said you like to format systems often, are you capable of doing a DFU restore if necessary with a 2nd USB-C capable Mac. Just need to have an external ASR backup to use with Migration Assistant as a fall back. As for what next see this comment.

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
All I want is Apple to fix the god damn quick preview bug that prevents Finder from previewing the file, image, video etc. by hitting the space bar. This bug has existed since I installed Monterey and I cannot even tell you how many times each day I have to restart Finder to make it work again.

I have been reporting this bug to Apple on countless occasions but they just don't seem to care. So if I can get just one fix let it be the quick preview fix, please!

Max_G

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
All I want is Apple to fix the god damn quick preview bug that prevents Finder from previewing the file, image, video etc. by hitting the space bar. (...) I cannot even tell you how many times each day I have to restart Finder to make it work again.
Never encountered that on the Macs here. Maybe you could try to trash the Finder's plist and do a restart.

MacFin

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
Never encountered that on the Macs here. Maybe you could try to trash the Finder's plist and do a restart.
I'm using an M1 Mac Mini running Monterey and it's a constant battle for me to keep Quick Previews working. The issue however does not exist on my Intel MacBook Pro (running Monterey too) so I'm getting a feeling this is M1 related bug. Anyway, at this point I'm happy to try anything that could fix this bug so I will give your suggestion a go.

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
All I want is Apple to fix the god damn quick preview bug that prevents Finder from previewing the file, image, video etc. by hitting the space bar. This bug has existed since I installed Monterey and I cannot even tell you how many times each day I have to restart Finder to make it work again.

I have been reporting this bug to Apple on countless occasions but they just don't seem to care. So if I can get just one fix let it be the quick preview fix, please!
Releated

I see its against a M1 Mini for you, for me on a M1 iMac its working,

the workaround instead of killing finder

i figured it out by force killing the quick look task in activity monitor. seems like a bug. and your welcome! its a great feature.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Fix the stupid speaker pop. Fix documents not appearing on desktop unless reloaded. Fix the random freezes. 2021 16" M1 pro has worst performance than my 2014 MBP did
That really sucks.

But did you mean you are having these problems on this new beta, or you haven’t installed the beta and want Apple to have fixed them in this new beta?

txag09

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
That really sucks.

But did you mean you are having these problems on this new beta, or you haven’t installed the beta and want Apple to have fixed them in this new beta?
I want them fixed in the next Monterey release. I haven't been on any of the betas and having these issues continuously

Reactions: roncron

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I want them fixed in the next Monterey release. I haven't been on any of the betas and having these issues continuously
You can't blame the OS all the time. We don't know what added software you are utilizing that might have issues with Monterey creating what you mentioned? While I was using a M1 Max 16" with previous 12.5 beta it was very stable. Why don't you first boot in safe mode and see if some of your issues manifest. You can always use a backup program to create a ASR volume so you can restore your settings/apps/data after an Apple Store does a DFU restore (total wipe/fresh system FW/MacOS) to return the laptop to factory default.

skardvin

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Fix the stupid speaker pop. Fix documents not appearing on desktop unless reloaded. Fix the random freezes. 2021 16" M1 pro has worst performance than my 2014 MBP did
Yes! Speaker pop is driving me crazy!!! Apple fix your stupid core audio drivers!

skardvin

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
That really sucks.

The speaker popping has been happening on my computer since macOS Big Sur 11.3. Apple never fixed it fully even after telling me they did. -_-

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Hoping Apple gets macOS 12.5 stable enough so many who have unsupported Ventura Macs can park on it for some time. Apple cut off many intel's systems (some maybe earlier) like Mac Pro 2013. Yes...old system, but stopped selling them in 2019.

Any idea when 12.5 will come out? End of July or earlier?

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Hoping Apple gets macOS 12.5 stable enough so many who have unsupported Ventura Macs can park on it for some time. Apple cut off many intel's systems (some maybe earlier) like Mac Pro 2013. Yes...old system, but stopped selling them in 2019.

Any idea when 12.5 will come out? End of July or earlier?
Mid July, likely be 5 betas, a RC, then release like how macOS Big Sur 11.5 happened.

Reactions: loby

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes! Speaker pop is driving me crazy!!! Apple fix your stupid core audio drivers!
Reference

One method of fixing it
Here's what worked for me:
  1. (Menu Bar): Go > Computer > Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > Audio
  2. Delete the com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist and com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist files
  3. Empty trash
  4. Shut down the laptop and wait 30 seconds
  5. Turn it back on

Reactions: roncron

Realityck

macrumors G3
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If it fixes the issue with bus powered usb 3 drives being ejected during sleep, that would be very useful!
Until you test your situation with Monterey 12.5 beta 3, someone here isn't likely to reproduce your same issue.

Just make sure to have a ASR backup to an external disk beforehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.