Apple Releases Third Public Beta of tvOS 12.3

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 23, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming tvOS 12.3 update to its public beta testing group, one day after providing the beta to developers and two weeks after seeding the second public beta.

The tvOS 12.3 public beta can be obtained by going to the Settings app on the Apple TV and navigating to the Software Updates section under "System." "Get Public Beta Updates" will need to be toggled on, and once it is, the Apple TV will download the beta software.

tvOS 12.3 includes the revamped Apple TV app that Apple debuted at its services-focused event on Monday. The new TV app is a better version of the original TV app, offering up access to TV shows, sports, news, and more in one spot.

There's still a "Watch Now" section with an "Up Next" feature for keeping track of what you're in the middle of watching, but there's a new "For You" feature that recommends new content based on what you've previously watched.

A new "Channels" option lets you subscribe to third-party services like Showtime, Starz, and HBO right within the TV app, and you can even watch all of the content from the services included in Channels right in the TV app without having to open a third-party app.

Channels will include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, and Comedy Central Now, but during the beta, only Showtime, Starz, Smithsonian, and Tastemade are accessible. You can subscribe in the TV app and get a one-week free trial before you're charged.

The TV app is on the Apple TV and iOS devices, and it's even available on the third-generation Apple TV through an upcoming software update that Apple plans to release. Apple has said the new TV app is coming in May, so we can expect tvOS 12.3 to be released then.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third Public Beta of tvOS 12.3

2. benface macrumors regular

On Monday?

3. gruversm macrumors member

gruversm

This is for the Public beta.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I am using this on one of my TV's and have not noticed any problems with apps I use. Are there any known issues that others have found before I add it to another TV? I was really hoping for a better experience with the New TV App but so far it appears to have the same issues as before. I was hopeful when I saw the Movies and Shows tabs but instead of showing what is in my Library it shows only what I can purchase. I would prefer that be in a STORE TAB and use the other Tabs for my content from my purchases and "maybe" include movies from my subscriptions (like HBO and Hulu and Netflix etc.) organized in such a way to help me find content.

Also, the "rows" design for me is not very good. Example is the ON NOW... 1 row of maybe 6 shows and then I have to scroll right (and then left) to search for shows. I would much prefer to click on ON NOW (maybe a top tab) that would give my a full screen of ON NOW SHOWS to search for something to watch.

I.E. How about letting the customer decided how to organize how things are presented. Some may not like this but I use Plex and the new UNO interface allows for a lot of customization which is a strong step in the right direction.

5. SurfMacJpMtb macrumors member

SurfMacJpMtb

6. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

To be clear, that path is apparently for folks already running beta versions of tvOS - the "Get Public Beta Updates" choice does not appear on my ATV4 running tvOS 12.2.1.

7. awp69 macrumors member

Really wish they would add back the counts that used to be in the Library. Was cool to know how many movies you had and number of 4K movies out of those.

8. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

How do we in public sector report bugs? I have been running into minor issues, mainly with the TV app. Programs watched from Hulu do not consistently get marked as watched. When I choose a baseball game I will either get the MLB TV just spinning or it makes me log in every time.

9. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

10. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ