Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a third beta of visionOS, the software that is designed to run on the Vision Pro headset. The second beta came out in July, so it has been over a month since Apple released a visionOS update.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

A select number of developers have access to Vision Pro headsets at this time, with the headsets used for app testing purposes. Most people will not have access to the visionOS beta outside of Xcode, and it is not yet clear what Apple is adding in each visionOS update.

Apple is also allowing developers to attend Vision Pro labs around the world, and developers who visit these locations are able to test the Vision Pro in person and get help from Apple engineers on their visionOS apps.

The Vision Pro headset is not expected until early 2024, so Apple still has a lot of work to do on both hardware and software. Reports from developers who have been able to test the headset have suggested that there are multiple unfinished features, such as an inability to use the front-facing display.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third visionOS Beta for Developers

fonzy91

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
9to5Mac reported some interesting tidbits about this update, would be nice to read about them here too. I don’t know why people are so negative about the VisionPro, I think it’s such an exciting glimpse into the future, I can’t wait to have one!

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
Nice catch. This means Apple is slowly but surely porting over the native apps.

I was surprised to see how little of Apple's own apps were shown or hinted at in the announcement. For iWork, we only saw Keynote but not Pages or Sheets. Likewise with the apps in the screenshot (reminders, maps etc).

I wonder if Books and Podcasts will feature immersive experiences. I'd love to listen to an Audiobook in a custom environment. Or read a book and have interactive elements involved. The Harry Potter series on Apple Books have some moving art, I believe. So this could be the spatial version of that.

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
Yea no one seems excited for this ( stairs at stack of 3500 $1 bills )
Most people I know--who aren't into tech--didn't even hear about this.

And those who did, mostly thanks to the TikTok meme, either didn't realize it was a real thing and/or didn't even bother looking it up.

I feel like because it was announced at WWDC, it's mostly developers and super techie people who know about it.

And I have a feeling Apple will make a second announcement for more "mainstream" folk either during the iPhone event or sometime early Spring before launch. Though at $3500, I don't think they'll convince anyone besides rich folk, developers, or tech enthusiasts to actually buy it.

That's just a lot of money.

Edit: though to be clear, I still think Vision Pro will sell out and be a status symbol until Apple releases a non-Pro. It should be able to outsell, say, the high end Mac Studio which is priced similarly.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

dante_mr

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2023
Trying to decide between this and Oculus Quest 2.
DON'T. Wait for Quest 3 at the very least.

I have the Quest 2 and you get what you pay for. It's fun for a few games, but that's pretty much it. You can't viably do anything besides play games and maybe watch movies if you can stand the low res display.

And even then, the Quest 3 is right around the corner with color passthrough, higher res display, and even a depth sensor. The depth sensor will allow for auto Guardian and better hand tracking, which is just AWFUL on Quest 2. Like seriously so bad.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Most people I know--who aren't into tech--didn't even hear about this.

And those who did, mostly thanks to the TikTok meme, either didn't realize it was a real thing and/or didn't even bother looking it up.

I feel like because it was announced at WWDC, it's mostly developers and super techie people who know about it.

And I have a feeling Apple will make a second announcement for more "mainstream" folk either during the iPhone event or sometime early Spring before launch. Though at $3500, I don't think they'll convince anyone besides rich folk, developers, or tech enthusiasts to actually buy it.

That's just a lot of money.

Edit: though to be clear, I still think Vision Pro will sell out and be a status symbol until Apple releases a non-Pro. It should be able to outsell, say, the high end Mac Studio which is priced similarly.
I think this thing will flop harder than fish fried socks.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Macrumours is a little bit slow?

Here are some changes from VisionOS Beta 3:

1. More details about Optic ID: Optic ID will always be available if the selected iPhone is nearby and has been unlocked in the past.

2. New system icons
Apple-Vision-Pro-compatible-apps-folder.jpg

3. No Wifi symbol
Apple-Vision-visionOS-no-wifi-icon.jpg

4. Environments
Apple-Vision-Environment.jpg

5. New accessibility options

Both Hands
If tapping your thumb and a finger together isn’t an option for one of your hands, you can adjust input settings.

Eye Input
If navigation with one of your eyes isn’t an option, you can adjust input settings.

6. New system sounds

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Hysterical clip - I earned that... LOL

That said, in a group of 16 folks, if a dozen have asked for something, it's got buzz.
if you all work together and oneor two people are excited for it and share the Info. A few people turn into multiple people. Office gossip spreads. But out of 16 people at launce I bet 3/4 buy it and the rest say. " Neat "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.