Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released the Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update for the Thunderbolt Display released earlier this year.
This update addresses a fan noise issue affecting a small number of Apple Thunderbolt Displays and improves stability.

The updater application will be installed in the Utilities folder inside the Application folder and will be launched automatically when you close this installer.

Please follow the instructions in the updater application to complete the update process.
The update totals 942KB and can be downloaded direct from Apple, or from Software Update for eligible users.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why does Apple constantly say that updates for problems are for a "small number of users "… These are electronics! the products should be very similar if not exactly the same. Is the variance in their products that wide?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why does Apple constantly say that updates for problems are for a "small number of users "… These are electronics! the products should be very similar if not exactly the same. Is the variance in their products that wide?
Different factories sometimes source parts from different places, who source their parts from different places, who source their parts from different places, who sometimes.... They're designed to be functionally equivalent, but... stuff happens.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
For the longest time iTunes to my TV via Thunderbolt/HDMI wouldn't work with HD TV show purchases. I got that error: This movie cannot be played because a display that is not authorized to play protected movies is connected. However, for the last few months I've been getting away with it. iTunes to TV via Thunderbolt/HDMI is so sweet. I'd hate to lose that functionality by updating. I don't know what happened, but I'll stick to the adage if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Nah, there's something goofy with the link or maybe site cookies. The first time you click you get a 404 page. If you click on the link again, you'll get the actual page.

I witnessed the same issue, it's goofy I tell ya.

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
Who would've thought a 27 inch, LED backlit display encased in metal would generate heat? :rolleyes:
In fact LED backlit displays don't generate much heat + metal is good for heat exchanging, so it shouldn't need a fan if it was only a normal display. Other 27" LED displays, eventhough they're plastic, dont have fans. But, the Thunderbolt display has a lot of other hardware in there, its almost like an iMac inside.
See http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/ifixit-busts-apples-thunderbolt-display-wide-open-no-creamy-ce/

gjwfoasfsaevg

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
You can dissipate many Watts with a metal surface that large without needing a fan. But I guess the Thunderbolt stuff is not really mature yet, and the display was built in quite a hurry (see also the way the cable is fixed to the board). I would be very surprised if the next version had a fan as well.

iKanit

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand

At least my Thunderbolt Display was not affected. Both software update and direct download said, I have no need to update.

You see, not every machine is the same like "larrylaffer" said.

GekkePrutser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2005
Barcelona, Spain
In fact LED backlit displays don't generate much heat + metal is good for heat exchanging, so it shouldn't need a fan if it was only a normal display. Other 27" LED displays, eventhough they're plastic, dont have fans. But, the Thunderbolt display has a lot of other hardware in there, its almost like an iMac inside.
See http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/ifixit-busts-apples-thunderbolt-display-wide-open-no-creamy-ce/
Thanks I hadn't seen that teardown yet. But yuck, that thing is a mess on the inside. All the loose-hanging wires, the way the thunderbolt input cable is taped into a connector on the motherboard. I still think it's very un-Apple :)

I bet this was rushed out the door. I'd say the next one will be of a much cleaner design and shouldn't need a fan, I don't see any chip in there that should really need significant cooling (otherwise they would have stuck a cooler on it).

But anyway, if it works... :)

therealdblack

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
Sort of on topic with the 21.5 iMac display issues....

just got my iMac about 2 weeks ago and I love it...I also purchased the mini-display to hdmi from the apple store to use my 47le5400(47 inch lg led) as an external display...When my computer is sleeping more often than not when I wake up the iMac it doesn't send the signal to my tv so theres no display on the the external monitor...Now "sometimes" if I turn on and off or change inputs or unplug then replug it works but as I mentioned sometimes...Please someone this is killing me...

I'm currently using
21.5 imac os 10.7.2(lion)
2.5 Ghz Intel core i5
4 gb 1333 Mhz ddr3
external display 47inch lg ledtv

Lucas Godfrey

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
just got my iMac about 2 weeks ago and I love it...I also purchased the mini-display to hdmi from the apple store to use my 47le5400(47 inch lg led) as an external display...When my computer is sleeping more often than not when I wake up the iMac it doesn't send the signal to my tv so theres no display on the the external monitor...Now "sometimes" if I turn on and off or change inputs or unplug then replug it works but as I mentioned sometimes...Please someone this is killing me...

I'm currently using
2.5 Ghz Intel core i5
4 gb 1333 Mhz ddr3
It's probably the adapter.

Also not the place to ask for help.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

I'm currently using
2.5 Ghz Intel core i5
4 gb 1333 Mhz ddr3

It's probably the adapter.

Also not the place to ask for help.
You just replied to him after almost three years.