Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to OS X 10.5.6, Apple also released a couple of other updates today.

Security Update 2008-008 brings to Tiger users a number of security enhancements that were delivered to Leopard users in 10.5.6. Full details on the security content of these updates can be found on Apple's support page.
- Security Update 2008-008 (Client PPC) (71.6 MB)
- Security Update 2008-008 (Client Intel) (163.2 MB)
- Security Update 2008-008 (Server PPC) (133 MB)
- Security Update 2008-008 (Server Universal) (133 MB)

Finally, Apple released Bonjour for Windows 1.0.6, which requires Windows 2000/2003, Windows XP or Windows Vista. Apple also released a version for 64-bit versions for XP and Vista, available for direct download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Tiger Security Updates, Bonjour for Windows Update

Deerskin

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Installed it and now apps are crashing

I installed this update and my MacBook 10.4.11 and have since been getting some apps (Mail, Address, iTunes, iCal, etc.) crashing upon launch. Others (Safari, iPhoto, etc.) work fine. This only occurs on my account other accounts work fine.

Any ideas?

:confused::confused::confused:

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I installed this update and my MacBook 10.4.11 and have since been getting some apps (Mail, Address, iTunes, iCal, etc.) crashing upon launch. Others (Safari, iPhoto, etc.) work fine. This only occurs on my account other accounts work fine.

Any ideas?

I'm no expert, but you could try some of the following.
I suppose you could try trashing the plists and restarting. Did you repair permissions using Disk Utility after (and hopefully before) the update? Do you have Disk Warrior? If so, run that. I find it works on a multitude of problems. Did you backup your disk before you updated? If so, you can restore your disk and run Onyx and Disk Utility (and Disk Warrior) before you update again, this time in "safe mode". You could, also, delete the troublesome account and start a new one. Do you have a dodgy/old/PPC 3rd party app running in the background? If so, maybe it's incompatible with the latest edition of the Apple apps. Look for anything like that, especially if the other accounts don't have it. To check this, you might have to boot up in "safe mode", which doesn't allow 3rd party start up items to start on start up, if you follow me. Check your Mac's Help for the procedure.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas

Any ideas?

I have been experiencing the similar problems since updating. Though for me Safari has been crashing a lot.

dylanschafer

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
same issues

having the same problems. anyone figure anything out yet? i can't reinstall the security update because installer is one of the programs that crashes immediately.

and another question: what is a plist and how does one know which ones to trash?

Deerskin

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Problem fixed

This took me quite some time to figure out but here is what the problem was.

I had installed FinderPop in my account. FinderPop runs on top of a system hack (I think it is APE from Unsanity) and is therefore at risk when Apple updates it system software. It seems that it is not compatible with this update. As soon as I disabled it everything went back to normal.

(I had removed my entire Preference file which fixed the problem until I reactivated FinderPop and it all started over again.)

It is a shame because Finderpop was incredibly useful for me.

I hope this helps the rest of you too.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Without derailing this topic - what issues have you had...?

Provide details rather than just moaning it is crap.

In addition to being slower overall than Tiger, especially bootup, we have had lots of issues connecting MacBooks running Leopard to OpenDirectory running on Leopard Server (which has a few annoyances also that I won't go into). Much of the time, the MacBook will encounter an error trying to hook up to OpenDirectory. That doesn't sound too bad, but get this: when it fails to hook up, no user account in the system is accessible. The system has to be reimaged every time this happens, and I have to hope that it works the next time.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Take it you haven't used Leopard since 10.5.0 ;)

That's where my psychological scarring occurred. Haven't been back to Leopard since. If it's been sped up a lot for PPC users like myself, then maybe I'd give it another shot.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
In addition to being slower overall than Tiger, especially bootup, we have had lots of issues connecting MacBooks running Leopard to OpenDirectory running on Leopard Server (which has a few annoyances also that I won't go into). Much of the time, the MacBook will encounter an error trying to hook up to OpenDirectory. That doesn't sound too bad, but get this: when it fails to hook up, no user account in the system is accessible. The system has to be reimaged every time this happens, and I have to hope that it works the next time.

I find it much faster than Tiger - even 10.5.0 was faster than Tiger, just not as stable. 10.5.6 is extremely stable, and more stable and faster than Tiger.

Can't comment on your other issue though - tried to seek help on that here?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I find it much faster than Tiger - even 10.5.0 was faster than Tiger, just not as stable. 10.5.6 is extremely stable, and more stable and faster than Tiger.
10.5.0 crippled my iBook. It may have been faster for Intel machines, but certainly not for my li'l old PPC iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.