Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
If you never lose stuff of value and importance, why do you want to tag stuff of value and importance? If you’re getting those things stolen it sounds like you do have a problem taking care of them if they’re not getting stolen, it sounds like you don’t really need to tag them. Not trying to argue, just trying to figure out your use case.

Paranoia mostly.

I never lose stuff but it doesn’t mean things don’t go missing for me. A good example would be sporting equipment, like badminton rackets, etc. They were in my school gym locker, but broken into. My dad also lost a filmography film DV, the type you use for 35mm movie production. It was in the trunk of the car, but was broken into. The entire equipment set was stolen. The cops couldn’t do anything. If only it was tagged with a few AirTags, it could probably be recovered. Since there are only a few of those around, it’s not difficult to prove that it belongs to you. If you can find it.

picard102

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2021
Toronto
The AirTag inside my dog's collar and not viewable unless they remove the collar but I'm worried more about my dog running away than being stolen. Of course my dog is also chipped which isn't good for tracking but is good once somebody finds her lost.

Pet theft has seen a 31% rise in recent years, with 2021 being one of the worst so far, and almost never being resolved.

hacky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2022
So I got the app, I have to manually open it and force it to scan. So the onus is still on the user. I have to THINK I'm being tracked and then search for if I am being tracked or not. I wish it would just prompt you as soon as it detected something just like iOS does.
Recent Android actually does just that. When AirTag is moving it you, you got the notification. And it's baked into the Android core itself. No additional app needed. And it also show the path AirTag was moving with you.

I was actually pretty amazed when I saw it. It's basically the same notification and information like on the iOS - except for the nearby search of course - because Android phones lack U1 chip.

Reactions: SFjohn

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I wonder if any police depts will play along and let you hand them the AirTags and then they toss those into some bait cars? That’d be a good use instead of disabling the trackers. Plus, it keeps the trackers active and wastes the criminals’ time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.