Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10.1.1 comes five weeks after the release of tvOS 10.1, the first major update to the tvOS 10 operating system. Apple only seeded two betas of tvOS 10.1.1 to developers before releasing it to the public.

The tvOS 10.1.1 update can be downloaded on the fourth-generation Apple TV using the Settings app. Go to System --> Software Update to install. For those who have automatic software updates turned on, the Apple TV will be upgraded to tvOS 10.1.1 automatically.

tvOS-10.1.1.jpg

No new features or changes were discovered in the tvOS 10.1.1 beta, but as a 10.1.x update, it's likely to be minor in scale, primarily focusing on introducing bug fixes and performance optimizations.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 10.1.1 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I hope to see some bug fixes. For some reason on multiple of my 4th generation Apple TVs I get a lot of freezing and crashing when going into the Settings app on 10.1.

rfahey79

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
I hope to see some bug fixes. For some reason on multiple of my 4th generation Apple TVs I get a lot of freezing and crashing when going into the Settings app on 10.1.

I'm hoping this fixes some intermittent issues with the TV app. Sometimes I get the TV app launching a network app while it starts to play a show and I wind up with echoing because the two are playing over each other.

Or where certain network apps say you don't have a subscription when you launch through the TV app but when you go directly through their app they have no issue playing content.

peejay1229

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2017
Hopefully it will fix this....

"Has anyone had an issue when clicking apps such as netflix, hbogo (non-apple apps) and they do not open?

I hear the appletv sound and it is almost like the icon "pops" but does not open the app.

I have tried resetting the unit and unplugging it for 15 - 20 seconds and it does not fix the problem."

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10.1.1 comes five weeks after the release of tvOS 10.1, the first major update to the tvOS 10 operating system. Apple only seeded two betas of tvOS 10.1.1 to developers before releasing it to the public.

The tvOS 10.1.1 update can be downloaded on the fourth-generation Apple TV using the Settings app. Go to System --> Software Update to install. For those who have automatic software updates turned on, the Apple TV will be upgraded to tvOS 10.1.1 automatically.

tvOS-10.1.1.jpg

No new features or changes were discovered in the tvOS 10.1.1 beta, but as a 10.1.x update, it's likely to be minor in scale, primarily focusing on introducing bug fixes and performance optimizations.

Having problems downloading it starts then comes up unsuccessful then goes back to home screen. All in a few seconds

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
What Apple TV desperately needs is better diagnostics to show why videos can randomly stop playing and you get the spinner. Happens all too often and it's hard to know if there is a need to reboot ATV, or internet provider issue, or streaming server provider issue...

Reactions: tennisproha and EdT

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
What Apple TV desperately needs is better diagnostics to show why videos can randomly stop playing and you get the spinner. Happens all too often and it's hard to know if there is a need to reboot ATV, or internet provider issue, or streaming server provider issue...

That used to happen to me all the time. Then I upgraded my home wifi--problem solved. I'm not sure AppleTV could have figured that out.

sharbeen

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
United Arab Emirates

I had this issue. The day I changed my router the issue completely disappeared. I used to think it was apple tv issue.

Reactions: CarlJ

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Buy yourself a quality router from Asus and be done with bad networking problems. The day I did this for myself, my mother and for my sister in laws household, was the last day of poor connectivity problems and spinning wheels.

Reactions: prankster506

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That used to happen to me all the time. Then I upgraded my home wifi--problem solved. I'm not sure AppleTV could have figured that out.

Well, the quality of wireless signals can be measured, so the OS could be a bit more graceful in reporting that particular problem.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Well, the quality of wireless signals can be measured, so the OS could be a bit more graceful in reporting that particular problem.

Oh people. Apple should really tell the users that we have crappy WIFI devices. It's totally their fault!
[doublepost=1485204785][/doublepost]
There's a setting to download new screen savers Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc.

Is this setting also available for shared photos from my iMac? My ATV only shows the same 10-15 pictures over and over. I have over 100 photos on the album I chose for the screensaver.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Oh people. Apple should really tell the users that we have crappy WIFI devices. It's totally their fault!

I didn't say it was Apple's "fault." It would help non-technical users diagnose the problem. That would help them erroneously coming to the wrong conclusion, returning the Apple TV, wasting Apple's time with support, etc. At the very least, I'd put a wireless indicator on the home screen.

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
The "Audio Description" keeps coming back on Netflix shows, even when I turn it off. I hope this fixes the bug.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Hopefully it will fix this....

"Has anyone had an issue when clicking apps such as netflix, hbogo (non-apple apps) and they do not open?

I hear the appletv sound and it is almost like the icon "pops" but does not open the app.

I have tried resetting the unit and unplugging it for 15 - 20 seconds and it does not fix the problem."

I had a similar issue (heard the clicks but then nothing would happen) and it ended up being my remote. Once I got a new one everything worked like normal.
[doublepost=1485209085][/doublepost]
Why am I still not seeing the new aerials? I use my ATV almost daily.

I had to completely reset my Apple TV. Not restart but reset. Changing the settings and all other things didn't work. Also, now I get the new arerials but I feel like it doesn't truly cycle through them all randomly. Even, with it set to download new ones every day.

Reactions: tennisproha

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

tvOS-10.1.1.jpg

Finally got the new screensavers , tried to update and it just returned to the main screen after a few mins , then tried reset and update that failed after 10 mins so eventually reset and once it was up and running I updated and all is well pity I had to go through ea h password fir ea h app I use Netflix Now tv etc pain but it's done

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Why am I still not seeing the new aerials? I use my ATV almost daily.
I finally got a couple of the new aerials this weekend. Dubai and HK.
[doublepost=1485219780][/doublepost]
There's a setting to download new screen savers Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc.
That is not the issue. Mine was set to Daily and didn't get new ones until now.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE

My Apple TV is plugged directly into the router which is plugged into and right next to the DSL modem. I also get the spinning wheel and I have no idea why, except that it isn't a wifi issue.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I have intermittent video freeze issues as well except it's with some apps more than others. This leads me to believe it's the app itself. Although, it did improve slightly when I switched modems.

BlazePhyre

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2014
The update includes compatibility with HBO GO and the tv app which was oddly excluded from earlier versions besides HBO NOW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.