Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases tvOS 10.2.1 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 10.2.1 over one month after the release of tvOS 10.2, an update that introduced scrolling improvements.

The tvOS 10.2.1 update can be downloaded on the fourth-generation Apple TV using the Settings app. Go to System --> Software Update to install. For those who have automatic software updates turned on, the Apple TV will be upgraded to tvOS 10.2.1 automatically.

No new features or design changes were discovered during the tvOS 10.2.1 beta testing period, but as a 10.2.x update, it's likely to focus on bug fixes and other under-the-hood performance improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 10.2.1 for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Hopefully this fixes the ghosted app icons that requires a restart to resolve.

I've actually expierienced a ghosted static screensaver behind the home screen app icons a couple of times now.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

I have an issue where the entire screen goes shades of green at infrequent, random intervals. Correcting this requires a restart. Is this the same issue?

Comment

gdd9000

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2017
I get the sort of greyed out app boxes too - I thought this was when they updated, when they have a little blue dot below them. But it's not consistent. Sometimes they just seem to be like that for no reason. ( I mean, they dont update them that often, do they?)

My bigger gripe is that my watchlist on HBO Now doesnt work. First, Id add things via the + button under the episode, and it would turn blue, showing it is added to the list. But then when I would go to the watchlist, the added episodes dont appear. Once in a while it works and they do, but mostly it fails to follow through.

But the worst thing is, the other day, I went to my watchlist (which I was able to build from my computer plus the occasional working apple TV confirmation) and sure enough...gone. Nothing. The entire list deleted as if nothing was ever there. And this is NOT because the shows were removed from HBO, which could theoretically happen to every single thing I watch, sure. But that isnt what happened.

Not too thrilled with this experience so far. And soon I have to add Showtime to watch Twin Peaks! (Woot!) Im sure that will go all squirrelly as well...

Comment

It appears to fix that. What was a ghosted Netflix app icon is no longer ghosted on mine.

Of course, I think every :apple:TV reboots after a software update, and some have said restarts fixed the problem (for a while). So this is really a "time will tell" observation instead of a conclusive (it's definitely fixed) one.

Update: many hours later and icons are all still good (no ghosting).

Last edited:
Comment

Jason_G

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
London, UK
Has this tvOS 10.2.1 update broken the BBC iPlayer app for anyone else? Mine doesn't do anything since updating (can't launch it)..

Last edited:
Comment

ceeekay

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Hopefully this fixes the remote acting like it's using a cup & string to communicate on occasion.

Comment

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Has this tvOS 10.2.1 update broken the BBC iPlayer app for anyone else? Mine doesn't do anything since updating (can't launch it)..

I have an issue with the BBC iPlayer on iOS, is says "no network or connection" while everything is fine. On the ATV4 it works fine for me.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I had a similar issue once and replacing the HDMI cable fixed it.

Thank you for that advice. I'll look into it. It isn't a huge issue, just a minor occasional annoyance. Maybe it's time to invest in some good HDMI cables. Cheers!

Comment

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2015
near Boston, MA
check out monoprice.com

I was the biggest fan of Monoprice for years but lately their cables have been really low quality like they would rather deal with free replacements than just up the price a bit for a better quality.

I've had end piece bend, lightning cables not recognized by apple devices or in and out charging etc..

Anker has been good so far, IMHO

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.