Apple Releases tvOS 11.4.1 for 4th and 5th Generation Apple TV Models

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 11.4.1, a minor update to the tvOS operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 11.4.1 comes more than a month after the release of tvOS 11.4, an update that introduced support for AirPlay 2.

tvOS 11.4.1 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to the tvOS 11.4.1 automatically.

[​IMG]

As a minor 11.x.x update tvOS 11.4.1 focuses on performance improvements and bug fixes to address issues that were discovered following the release of tvOS 11.4. Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, so we may not know exactly what's included in the new software.

tvOS 11.4.1 is likely to be one of the last updates to the tvOS 11 operating system, as Apple in June introduced tvOS 12, which will be released to the public this fall and is currently available to developers and public beta testers.

tvOS 12 introduces support for Dolby Atmos, a new zero sign-on feature, Password AutoFill from the iPhone, and new aerial screensavers created in collaboration with the International Space Station. More information on tvOS 12 can be found in our tvOS 12 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 11.4.1 for 4th and 5th Generation Apple TV Models

2. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

Yeah they probably changed something in that update, but well, who knows. Even their big releases (such as tvOS 12) does not contain many new features, and very few bugs to fix in upcoming minor versions.

3. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I have auto updates turned on, but it seems to take days to happen.

Hopefully this update fixes the bug that causes Netflix and Amazon to randomly play audio only and report unsupported cables or other issues restricting video playback.

4. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Cool. This probably means I'll have to sign into every single app again, as I do every time an app gets an update.

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I’ve never had to do that. Just updated and didn’t have to do it this time either.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Excited to see if they fixed dismal performance and laggy response on 4K version. Almost unusable and this is my second one. Apple knows of issue per Genius Bar guy who helped me.

7. Pitsy1971 macrumors newbie

Is it just me or does it seem that are little or no new real features in the releases, I am really struggling to remain loyal to Apple, if my entire ecosystem wasn't apple I would be considering leaving -the cost, limited features and irregular updates aren't good!!

8. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

In the area of TV OS from my perspective the biggest added values were presented the last couple of years. OS 12 will continue to do so, especially in the audio area. In combination with some HomePods this currently is my biggest playground.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

These are point releases, meant to fix bugs only. It's unusual to see anything beyond minor tweaks in point releases.

10. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Don’t you love the old “we’re aware of the issue, and we’re working on it” line....:confused: o_O
    Awesome avatar, btw.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2018 ---
    The Apple TV is the most un-Apple like product that Apple makes. It’s a joke...not the funny kind. :(

11. HDFan macrumors 6502a

Are you sure this is a bug? HDCP is very cable sensitive.

12. txmade macrumors member

13. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

That must be nice. I end up signing back into every cable-authenticated app once a month or so. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

What new features are you expecting? Just in the last year or so we got highly useful things like automatic framerate switching, home screen syncing, Airplay 2, and HEVC decoding (even on the old ATV4). Soon we'll get Dolby Atmos support and "zero sign on" for cable authentication. My impression is that the ATV receives more updates than ever before, especially compared to the years when it was just a "hobby" for Apple. ;)

15. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

It’s well documented

I can’t speak to cable-authenticated apps. You didn’t mention which. I only use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBSAA, VUDU, YouTube, MA, and have never had this problem.

16. ignatius345 macrumors 65816

Yeah, those are the ones I mean. Netflix and Hulu behave fine (I mean, their interfaces are raging dumpster fires, but they at least stay signed in), as do HBO and Showtime, Vimeo, etc. But things like FX and VH1, I find myself signing in way more frequently than I'd like.

One of them, can't remember which, at least had the decency to throw up a scannable QR code to take me directly to the authentication page on my phone.

17. HDFan macrumors 6502a

Where?

18. HDFan macrumors 6502a

Those posts are all speculative. Nothing definitively points to an Apple TV bug. The problems could be due to cables, other devices in the HDMI chain, or the Apple TV.

See this article, now outdated, about how even highly regarded HDMI cables fail when pushed to the limit with 4K:

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...–-pt-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin-page-2

The weakest link in an HDMI chain is the cable. I was using Best Buy cables and suddenly started getting HDCP errors from my DirectTV box. After finding an Audioquest carbon cable at a decent price I replaced the Best Buy cables with the Audioquest and my problems went away. But I have a relatively long HDMI chain with several components involved.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

19 pages on one Apple Support page is a little more than speculation in my book. You presume from the standpoint that no one else with this problem tried other cables over the last 6 months.

It’s not the cable. The evidence is that the problems have since gone away with the latest update.

So yeah ... this was an Apple issue, and they finally got around to addressing it.

20. praetorian909 macrumors regular

Cool, looks like 11.4.1 fixed the AirPlay bug I was having—I use speakers via AirPlay with Apple TV (over AirPort Express).

I was on tvOS 11.4 every time I wake up the Apple TV to play something, a message appears “unable to connect to [airplay speaker name]”. I would have to go back to Home, Settings->audio settings, select the AirPlay [speaker name] again. (speaker name is in the list)

There was a previous version where every time wake from sleep it would forget my AirPlay speaker and reveal back to hdmi audio by default.

Non-4K tv with Siri Remote
    Airport Express
    Speakers connected via stereo minijack