Apple Releases tvOS 12.0.1 Update for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 12.0.1, a minor update for the tvOS operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.0.1 comes just one week after Apple released tvOS 12, the latest version of tvOS.

tvOS 12.0.1 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System -> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.0.1 automatically.

[​IMG]

It is not clear what features or bug fixes are included in tvOS 12.0.1, but given that it's a minor 12.x.x update, it has likely been released to address issues discovered in the tvOS 12 update.

If we discover what's new in tvOS 12.0.1, we'll update this post with info, but Apple often provides little detail on tvOS updates.

tvOS 12.0.1 follows tvOS 12, an update that introduced support for higher-quality Dolby Atmos sound, zero sign-on, and new aerial screensavers created in collaboration with the International Space Station.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.0.1 Update for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I wonder if this means iOS 12.0.1 is about to drop? There have been a few small bugs I've seen with inline video not wanting to go PIP on my iPad and glitching out the whole browser, but one that has been really annoying is since upgrading to iOS 12 my Apple Watch keeps having trouble with the temperature complication which I use a lot. I have a Series 0 which is a version behind until my Series 4 arrives in a couple weeks, but my wife's Series 4 is also not getting the temperature a lot of the time and her SE is on iOS 12 too.

3. jrhop macrumors newbie

My Apple TV in iOS 12 kept asking for 4 digit code to use built in or remote app to control ATV hopefully this fixes it.

4. liberte1776, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

liberte1776 macrumors regular

Update: It finally enables me to see the new space screen savers!

Where is the Mojave aerial? Seems like an obvious miss, Apple...

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

These have been working this weekend for me. There are 3 or 4 of them already and they are AMAZING!

Make sure you have the settings to download screensavers daily. Maybe your ATV hasn't picked up the newest yet.

6. richie510 macrumors newbie

richie510

Anyone know if this fixes the battery issues from tvOS 12.0?

7. J.Dillinger macrumors member

Nice, I hope this fixes the issue of the constant iOS Remote Keyboard notifications when a text input screen isn't being shown.

8. wbrat macrumors regular

9. chrfr macrumors 604

Your Apple TV runs on battery?

10. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I've been getting those pesky keyboard notifications on my phone all the time, hopefully this update addresses that. Or would that be an iOS problem?

Other than that it's been smooth sailing, but I definately could do without those notifications all the time.

11. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

Hold up...

12. PilotC150 macrumors member

Hopefully it does something fix the screensavers. I finally got one of the NASA ones to download a couple days ago, but otherwise I'm missing tons of them. I haven't seen any of the Hawaii ones on any of my three AppleTVs in a long time. Don't know if I've ever seen the San Francisco ones (although I probably have). None of the China ones recently, either. As I scroll through my screensavers it only shows me about 10 different ones.

I wish there was a way to force it to download the screen savers, or even choose which ones you want.

13. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

Here ya go. An accurate depiction of Mojave.

Attached Files:

14. MR-LIZARD macrumors member

Have you upgraded all your Apple TV’s to the 5th Generation models?

The 5th generation only shows the screensavers that have been recorded in 4K.

I miss the London, Hawaii, New Zealand, and Great Wall of China ones on my 5th gen. I have the 4th gen in a spare room and this still displays them.

15. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I’m going to keep it on 12.0 in case a jailbreak comes out sometime.

16. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Jailbreak? What do you want it to do that isn't adequately handled by the App Store, these days?

17. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Just one thing. Kodi. I don’t want to pay $99/yr without selling apps and I don’t want to resign it every week either.

Also maybe some NES/SNES/Genesis emulators.

18. chinito77 macrumors member

chinito77

I've been wondering why my Mac Mini displays China and Hawaii and my Apple TV 4K does not. Thanks for the tip!

19. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

You may have overpaid if you only need Kodi. You can get that from a cheap Raspberry Pi and you'll be golden. You can even run Kodi on your Mac nowadays if you don't want to shell out extra money.

20. jakeowens macrumors member

Im experiencing a lot of glitches from this update. Every few seconds parts of the video glitch. Audio isn’t effected.

21. kegan forbes macrumors newbie

kegan forbes

random blackout for a sec with audio drop for 3-5 sec??

22. stillcrazyman macrumors 68000

stillcrazyman

My ATV4K updated to 12.0.1 last night. I don't know what was changed. It seems to boogey right along like it's always done. Hulu, Netflix, PBS, YouTube and iTunes content. Life is good :)

23. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I know. I was running Kodi off of an old 2008 HP dv5 2.1ghz athlon/HD3200/4GB DDR2 but the GPU bit the dust. I can airplay Kodi from my tbMBP but I don’t want to lose battery capacity from leaving the MBP on just to stream movies.

I bought the ATV because it fits the ecosystem really well. Netflix and YT are great on it and I can stream my entire iTunes library from iTunes Match. My receivers inputs are all full as well with cable box, stand-alone Blu Ray player for CDs, PS4 and ATV. Unless I buy a new receiver with more inputs I’m not going to connect and disconnect stuff all the time.

24. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

FWIW, I was faced with a related situation... for the last couple years I've been very successfully using a "Monoprice 4x1 HDMI Switch w/TOSlink & Digital Coaxial Audio Output" (that model is obsolete, but there are many similar ones available). My receiver does surround sound but doesn't have many inputs, and neither does my TV. Now, the Apple TV, BluRay player, a Raspberry Pi (I have half a dozen doing different tasks), and various other devices plug into the HDMI switch, the HDMI output from the switch goes to the TV and the digital coax output goes to the receiver.

My Harmony remote knows how to control it all, so I hit one button to start it all up, which turns on the TV and HDMI switcher, sets the HDMI switcher to the right input, and optionally turns on the receiver (so, I have choices like "Watch AppleTV", for casual use, that just uses the TV's speakers, and "Watch AppleTV 5.1" which fires up the receiver and makes the Harmony remote's volume buttons run the receiver instead of the TV). Works a treat, and more than half the time I use the Harmony remote for one button to start things up, then use the Siri remote for everything else, since it can control the TV's volume. When I'm all done, I pick up the Harmony remote and hit "Off".

Anyway, it's another possibility.

Oh, also, I hear the Raspberry Pi is an excellent platform for Kodi, but if you're not married to Kodi and simply want a user-friendly way to stream movies off a fileserver, there are various other choices on the tvOS App Store - I like Infuse Pro, which is recommended by many, though my streaming-from-fileserver needs are quite modest (most of my collection is on disc, or purchased from iTunes).

25. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

Just in case no one else on this thread passed this along: https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial