Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.1 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 12.1.1, the third update to the tvOS 12 operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.1.1 comes three weeks after the launch of tvOS 12.1 and two months after the September launch of tvOS 12.

tvOS 12.1.1 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System -> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.1.1 automatically.

[​IMG]

As a minor 12.x.x update, tvOS 12.1.1 focuses on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements. No major features were found during the tvOS 12.1.1 beta testing period, and Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, so it's not known what specific bug fixes and improvements are included in the new software.

If any additional information on the content of the tvOS 12.1.1 update becomes available, we'll update this post.

tvOS 12.1.1 follows the tvOS 12 update, which introduced support for higher-quality Dolby Atmos sound, zero sign-on, and new aerial screensavers created in collaboration with the International Space Station.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.1 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

2. Breaktj macrumors newbie

Breaktj

--- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    Will this finally fix the problem many people including me have had for several months being able too see what movies are in your LIBRARY ? mine one day out of no where says I have no movies when I have over 3000, apparently it was a known issue that they had no resolution to because they say it can't handle too many movies

3. bookcase macrumors member

This happened to me the other day. I restarted the Apple TV 4K and they re-appeared and it hasn't happened since.

4. Breaktj macrumors newbie

Breaktj

ya that doesn't work ive tried everything, I have a long standing ticket in with Apple Support, I had to send them all my data from the Apple TV and they said they have no fix for it yet but that they know about it

5. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Have you tried resetting your Apple TV to factory conditions? I did that and it solved the problem for me.

6. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I’ve had that happen and my solution is to force quit the apps and let it reload. So far it’s worked every time.

As far as this update goes, I really don’t expect anything other than underlying base code fixes. Apple seems to only do a couple Apple TV features per major number update. Everything else tends to be just bug fixes piggy-backing into the base iOS code.

7. hick9 macrumors member

hick9

I doubt it. I have Artwork issues with the Library I have been reporting to Apple for close to a year now. It only happens on my AppleTV 4K. I have 3rd and 4th generation AppleTV's as well that don't have the issue my 5th generation does.

8. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

I’m hopeful it fixes the screensaver issue I’ve had. Mine is usually stuck on the Hollywood night screen saver and never cycles to anything else. It has at times worked correctly and showed the desert scene, Greenland, Dubai day and night but is again stuck on Hollywood. Just did a restart and it’s still stuck. I have the screensaver download set to daily.

9. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Still terrible video quality with YTTV. Guess we need to wait for an update to that app....

10. HailstormX macrumors regular

Its been painful. If you go and change the quality settings from auto to 720p that worked well for me. Sadly you have to do it every time you change the channel.

11. jtara macrumors 65832

Heads up if you are using SimpleHome/SimpleControl (originally Roomie Remote) this update has broken IP remote control from at least these two iOS apps, if not all. I had to switch to the Apple remote.

BTW, I refuse to use SimpleControl with it's ridiculous UI, and being forced to buy their proprietary IR controller when I already have a perfectly good iTach - after they promised that existing users could continue to use their iTach and then yanked the football.

But I tried SimpleControl it to test if the IP remote control was broken only in SimpleHome. Nope, they are both broken since this update.

I'm guessing it broke all non-Apple IP remote control.

12. Breaktj macrumors newbie

Breaktj

Yes I did
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 ---
    How do I do this ?

13. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

You can swipe left to cycle to the next screensaver.

14. Breaktj macrumors newbie

Breaktj

How do I do this ?

15. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

1. Navigate to the home screen by tapping the Home button on the Siri Remote.
    2. Double press the Home button to open the app switcher.
    3. Swipe on the Touch surface to select an app.
    4. Swipe up on the Touch surface to quit the selected app.

16. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

You double-click the TV button which puts the apps in the app switcher mode, move to the various apps you want to close and swipe up.

17. frydrych macrumors member

Anyone else experiencing issues with CEC after update? Before this update I was able to turn the TV on and off by activating the Apple TV, this is not the case now. Have tried restarting atv, disabling and enabling cec on tv but still nothing. Samsung tv, 2 years old.

18. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

No issues here on a Samsung TV.

19. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

No issues on my Sony.

20. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, tried that and it just kept repeating LA at night

21. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

From the home screen, press the menu button on the remote to activate the screen savers. The. Swiping either left or right will navigate through the available screen savers. If swiping doesn’t immediately switch you to another screen saver, then you only have one installed.

Go to Settings, General, Screen Saver, and make sure you have download New Video set to Daily, Weekly or Monthly (not never). If it already is, select preview and try swiping left or right. If they still don’t change, then you may need to do a system reset.