Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 12.1.2, the fourth update to the tvOS 12 operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.1.2 comes more than a month after the launch of tvOS 12.1.1.

tvOS 12.1.2 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.1.2 automatically.

As a minor 12.x.x update, tvOS 12.1.2 focuses on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements. No major features were found during the tvOS 12.1.2 beta testing period, and Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, so it's not known what specific bug fixes and improvements are included in the new software.

If any additional information on the content of the tvOS 12.1.2 update becomes available, we'll update this post.

tvOS 12.1.2 follows the tvOS 12 update, which introduced support for higher-quality Dolby Atmos sound, zero sign-on, and new aerial screensavers created in collaboration with the International Space Station.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
No more software updates, give me a better controller to navigate and search for content! Better yet, a controller for gaming.

Comment

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Give us pass-through audio!
I still fill duped after getting the ATV 4K and not having the ability to have ARC-OUT. I had a spare ATV but got robbed and they stole all my Apple stuff.

I re-bought the 4K but miss the ability to airplay some music and watch a football game on Saturday. That is a Big Blow!

Reactions: Braderunner
Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
No more software updates, give me a better controller to navigate and search for content! Better yet, a controller for gaming.
If you haven’t tried it, the iPhone is far superior in navigating than the remote. The touch response is much better.

Reactions: CostaMoses
Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I hope it fixes the bug that constantly signs me out of Netflix, DirecTV Now, and HBO Go.
I don’t get signed out of Netflix but the CNN Go app constantly signs me out. I spoke with Apple about a month ago and they said they were filing a radar and would be working on it. They think it has to do with my ISP. I’m curious to see if this update fixes that.
[doublepost=1548222260][/doublepost]
Anyone else have to reauthenticate their iOS remote almost every time with the 4 digit code???

Yes. I found the issue. Do you have an iPad or someone else with another iPhone using the remote app in Control Centre? tvOS can only remember one device at a time. If you use your iPhone and authenticate the PIN, then later use an iPad or another iPhone and authenticate, when you use the first iPhone again, it’ll ask you to authenticate again. This isn’t expected behaviour and Apple was able to reproduce when I called them.

Update: the update doesn’t fix the remote issue.

Comment

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
I don’t get signed out of Netflix but the CNN Go app constantly signs me out. I spoke with Apple about a month ago and they said they were filing a radar and would be working on it. They think it has to do with my ISP. I’m curious to see if this update fixes that.
[doublepost=1548222260][/doublepost]

Yes. I found the issue. Do you have an iPad or someone else with another iPhone using the remote app in Control Centre? tvOS can only remember one device at a time. If you use your iPhone and authenticate the PIN, then later use an iPad or another iPhone and authenticate, when you use the first iPhone again, it’ll ask you to authenticate again. This isn’t expected behaviour and Apple was able to reproduce when I called them.

Update: the update doesn’t fix the remote issue.

I found the problem/issue:

Apple can care less about these small but bothersome problems with their increasingly poor...................... everything. (software)

Not a small amount of people real CUSTOMERS can give a damn about a watch band or emojI... My heart rate?

Hardware increasingly has issues; and if anyone thinks the software of any Apple product has gotten any more "it just works" nowadays, well thats just not accurate at all...IMHO...

Great replies from valued posters here continually start with: "when I talked to Apple they said..."

I welcome to opportunity to "talk to Apple" with all my heart but WHY DO I INCREASINGLY HAVE TO FREAKING DO THAT????

The end.

Comment

SandyNotmyname

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I still fill duped after getting the ATV 4K and not having the ability to have ARC-OUT. I had a spare ATV but got robbed and they stole all my Apple stuff.

I re-bought the 4K but miss the ability to airplay some music and watch a football game on Saturday. That is a Big Blow!

So it's Apple's fault that you got robbed and chose not to replace your lost gadgets?

Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
Yes. The ATV doesn’t auto-match native resolution output. It probably never will. I hate that in order to get 4K output, I have to up-res all programs to 4K.
And what don’t you like about upscaling content?

Comment

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
How do you up-res programs?
The ATV does it automatically. Takes the 720p content for instance and upscales it to 4K for the TV, rather than feeding the native signal to the TV and letting it do it.
[doublepost=1548346891][/doublepost]
And what don’t you like about upscaling content?

My Sony has a much better upscale algorithm than the ATV. The picture
is much better from lower res material upscaled on my TV. In addition, I lose certain picture adjustments with native 4K on my Sony, which are otherwise available for 1080p. In some cases, being in 4K forces online content to stream in 4K rather than allowing me to select a lower resolution to conserve bandwidth and reduce buffering.

In general I have a problem with Apple not allowing the native signal to pass through the box, but insists on modifying at least some aspects of it. A minimum standard for any digital box should be to output a 100% native signal as an option such that the customer can chose what outboard signal processing they prefer.

At least it has auto match chroma and frame rate now, which was not the case for the first few months.

Comment

buzzworm

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Los Angeles
This update fixed my CEC error. 12.1.1 would turn off my LG tv when I selected "sleep" and then 1 minute later, the tv would turn back on and the damn OLED tv would be on all night! I just updated to 12.1.2 and it seems to be working correctly again. TG!

Reactions: upandown
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.