Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released tvOS 12.1.2, the fourth update to the tvOS 12 operating system designed for the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.1.2 comes more than a month after the launch of tvOS 12.1.1.

tvOS 12.1.2 can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.1.2 automatically.

[​IMG]

As a minor 12.x.x update, tvOS 12.1.2 focuses on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements. No major features were found during the tvOS 12.1.2 beta testing period, and Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, so it's not known what specific bug fixes and improvements are included in the new software.

If any additional information on the content of the tvOS 12.1.2 update becomes available, we'll update this post.

tvOS 12.1.2 follows the tvOS 12 update, which introduced support for higher-quality Dolby Atmos sound, zero sign-on, and new aerial screensavers created in collaboration with the International Space Station.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.1.2 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

2. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Sometimes I wonder if these small ATV updates where nobody knows what was changed, is nothing more than a version update.

4. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

5. Twinsbb17 macrumors member

I hope it fixes the bug that constantly signs me out of Netflix, DirecTV Now, and HBO Go.

6. errol macrumors 6502

errol

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I don't think it will since I have seen this bug come and go, then come back again since tvOS launch.

8. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

No more software updates, give me a better controller to navigate and search for content! Better yet, a controller for gaming.

9. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I still fill duped after getting the ATV 4K and not having the ability to have ARC-OUT. I had a spare ATV but got robbed and they stole all my Apple stuff.

I re-bought the 4K but miss the ability to airplay some music and watch a football game on Saturday. That is a Big Blow!

10. upandown macrumors 6502a

If you haven’t tried it, the iPhone is far superior in navigating than the remote. The touch response is much better.

11. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Agree still have issues where it does not remember where I left off in certain apps.

12. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

13. upandown macrumors 6502a

You have that problem?

14. multicore macrumors member

Finally seeing 5.1 dolby with Amazon Prime with the latest update 12.1.2

15. hawaiipoolman macrumors regular

Anyone else have to reauthenticate their iOS remote almost every time with the 4 digit code???

16. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

I’ve been trying to download but it won’t install

17. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I don’t get signed out of Netflix but the CNN Go app constantly signs me out. I spoke with Apple about a month ago and they said they were filing a radar and would be working on it. They think it has to do with my ISP. I’m curious to see if this update fixes that.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    Yes. I found the issue. Do you have an iPad or someone else with another iPhone using the remote app in Control Centre? tvOS can only remember one device at a time. If you use your iPhone and authenticate the PIN, then later use an iPad or another iPhone and authenticate, when you use the first iPhone again, it’ll ask you to authenticate again. This isn’t expected behaviour and Apple was able to reproduce when I called them.

Update: the update doesn’t fix the remote issue.

18. winstars macrumors regular

I found the problem/issue:

Apple can care less about these small but bothersome problems with their increasingly poor...................... everything. (software)

Not a small amount of people real CUSTOMERS can give a damn about a watch band or emojI... My heart rate?

Hardware increasingly has issues; and if anyone thinks the software of any Apple product has gotten any more "it just works" nowadays, well thats just not accurate at all...IMHO...

Great replies from valued posters here continually start with: "when I talked to Apple they said..."

I welcome to opportunity to "talk to Apple" with all my heart but WHY DO I INCREASINGLY HAVE TO FREAKING DO THAT????

The end.

19. SandyNotmyname macrumors newbie

So it's Apple's fault that you got robbed and chose not to replace your lost gadgets?

20. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Yes. The ATV doesn’t auto-match native resolution output. It probably never will. I hate that in order to get 4K output, I have to up-res all programs to 4K.

21. alichoudhry macrumors newbie

How do you up-res programs?

22. upandown macrumors 6502a

And what don’t you like about upscaling content?

23. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

This update seems to have fixed a issue I had which would crash my network after a long period of streaming. Touch wood tonight wasn't just a one off.

24. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

The ATV does it automatically. Takes the 720p content for instance and upscales it to 4K for the TV, rather than feeding the native signal to the TV and letting it do it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2019 ---
    My Sony has a much better upscale algorithm than the ATV. The picture
    is much better from lower res material upscaled on my TV. In addition, I lose certain picture adjustments with native 4K on my Sony, which are otherwise available for 1080p. In some cases, being in 4K forces online content to stream in 4K rather than allowing me to select a lower resolution to conserve bandwidth and reduce buffering.

In general I have a problem with Apple not allowing the native signal to pass through the box, but insists on modifying at least some aspects of it. A minimum standard for any digital box should be to output a 100% native signal as an option such that the customer can chose what outboard signal processing they prefer.

At least it has auto match chroma and frame rate now, which was not the case for the first few months.

25. buzzworm macrumors newbie

buzzworm

This update fixed my CEC error. 12.1.1 would turn off my LG tv when I selected "sleep" and then 1 minute later, the tv would turn back on and the damn OLED tv would be on all night! I just updated to 12.1.2 and it seems to be working correctly again. TG!