Apple Releases tvOS 12.4 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple today released tvOS 12.4, the eighth update to the tvOS 12 operating system that runs on the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 12.4 comes more than a month after the release of tvOS 12.3, which brought an updated TV app.

tvOS 12.4 is a free update that can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System > Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.4 automatically.

There were no new features discovered during the beta testing period for tvOS 12.4, making it unclear what's included in the update.

Apple does not provide release notes for tvOS updates, making it difficult to determine what might be new or improved in the operating system.

The update likely focuses on introducing performance improvements and bug fixes, and there could be some refinements to the TV app that was introduced in tvOS 12.3.

Apple has also released new 7.3.1 Apple TV software that's designed for the third-generation Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 12.4 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Definitely an Apple product that I will no longer invest in.

I had to replace two 3rd gen units because viewing activities on some streaming services don't sync between older AppleTV models and newer ones. Sure, it's ultimately the fault of the app developer (looking at you Hulu) but I can understand their dilemma. The 3rd gen AppleTV has an A5 processor. The 4th gen unit has an A8 processor. Yet the 3rd gen unit wasn't discontinued until one year after the 4th gen was introduced. Apple continued to sell its older unit knowing the product was essentially obsoleted.

Btw, I replaced my units with Amazon Firesticks. Got two for less than the price of one AppleTV. The UI is as thoughtful as Apple's. And the remote is worlds better. Will probably sell the 4th gen units we have and replace those with Firesticks too just to spite Apple for pretending their TV aspirations were just "a hobby".

Reactions: CaTOAGU

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

I had to replace two 3rd gen units because viewing activities on some streaming services don't sync between older AppleTV models and newer ones. Sure, it's ultimately the fault of the app developer (looking at you Hulu) but I can understand their dilemma. The 3rd gen AppleTV has an A5 processor. The 4th gen unit has an A8 processor. Yet the 3rd gen unit wasn't discontinued until one year after the 4th gen was introduced. Apple continued to sell its older unit knowing the product was essentially obsoleted.

Btw, I replaced my units with Amazon Firesticks. Got two for less than the price of one AppleTV. The UI is as thoughtful as Apple's. And the remote is worlds better. Will probably sell the 4th gen units we have and replace those with Firesticks too just to spite Apple for pretending their TV aspirations were just "a hobby".
Let's see how long your Amazon Firesticks last!
In all fairness, the ATV3 delivered amazing results in 2012 and 2013. By 2014, it's price was £59. Try and find something as beautifully made as that for £59!
For £59 the ATV3 was an incredible box for the Apple Eco-system. To this day, it still plays movies from iTunes in HD and has Apple HomeSharing and Airplay. All for £59. Not Apple's fault if third party apps decide not to go with it. To this day, Apple STILL updates the ATV3 - Amazon Prime, ATV+ etc. Name another company that will update a cheap £59 product dating back from 2012? I can't think of any.

Good luck if you think that you are getting a decent product with Amazon. Knowing that company and it's disgraceful components used in their mainstream thrash tells me that it'll end up in the landfill far quicker than any Apple product will.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
Let's see how long your Amazon Firesticks last!
In all fairness, the ATV3 delivered amazing results in 2012 and 2013. By 2014, it's price was £59. Try and find something as beautifully made as that for £59!
For £59 the ATV3 was an incredible box for the Apple Eco-system. To this day, it still plays movies from iTunes in HD and has Apple HomeSharing and Airplay. All for £59. Not Apple's fault if third party apps decide not to go with it. To this day, Apple STILL updates the ATV3 - Amazon Prime, ATV+ etc. Name another company that will update a cheap £59 product dating back from 2012? I can't think of any.

Good luck if you think that you are getting a decent product with Amazon. Knowing that company and it's disgraceful components used in their mainstream thrash tells me that it'll end up in the landfill far quicker than any Apple product will.
I have two Apple TV 4k's and three Roku's. And love them all. I like the ATV's a little better though. I would NEVER get Chromecast/Amazon anything, that's for sure.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
To this day, Apple STILL updates the ATV3 - Amazon Prime, ATV+ etc. Name another company that will update a cheap £59 product dating back from 2012? I can't think of any.
In pre-4 gen units, there's not even a proper app catalog to choose apps from. And the fact that some streaming services neglect the earlier product is still a user concern. $99 U.S. is hardly cheap if you have to equip a half dozen TV's and upgrade them to preserve the user experience. In seven years, there has been three evolutions of the product in order to address deficiencies with the prior unit and to keep up with improvements to the media itself. That's a turnover every 2 years. If the trend continues, a Firestick makes it affordable to upgrade at that rate.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Every time a tvOS update is released, it's "Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.4 automatically". I have had that option enabled for years and never, not once, has any of my two Apple TV 4 units (or the Apple TV 3s that I used before) upgraded automatically. Does this work for anybody?
Nope. Never worked on mine either.

BF1M

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2018
Hopefully it fixes the out of sync video freezing while audio continues issue.

Sansawnee

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2019
Does anyone know why my Apple TV updated TvOS 13 without a beta or developer account?

manthe

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Every time a tvOS update is released, it's "Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 12.4 automatically". I have had that option enabled for years and never, not once, has any of my two Apple TV 4 units (or the Apple TV 3s that I used before) upgraded automatically. Does this work for anybody?
For me, yes - on all 4 of my Apple TVs. I have 2 ‘regular’ 4th gen and 2 4K ATVs and all 4 have always auto-updated. Luck of the draw I guess...

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
For me, yes - on all 4 of my Apple TVs. I have 2 ‘regular’ 4th gen and 2 4K ATVs and all 4 have always auto-updated. Luck of the draw I guess...
Can you describe how exactly that works? Does it actually wake up (at what time?) and update itself without any intervention by you?

DavisEngeler

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
davisengeler.com

Bad news: my mom was just recently complaining about the exact same syncing bug with Hulu on Fire Stick. Sometimes it even loses watch progress within the same episode/device if she leaves and comes back.

Edit: I also experience the Hulu syncing bug at about the same rate on my Apple TV 4K and Roku Stick. My guess is that it’s a server side issue since it occasionally happens on all 3 of these platforms.

iAssimilated

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2018
PNW
Can you describe how exactly that works? Does it actually wake up (at what time?) and update itself without any intervention by you?
Good question, I do not know for sure. My AppleTV 4th Gen also auto updates itself, but with that said, it usually does not update on the first day of the new release (it usually takes a couple of days).

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Bad news: my mom was just recently complaining about the exact same syncing bug with Hulu on Fire Stick. Sometimes it even loses watch progress within the same episode/device if she leaves and comes back.

Edit: I also experience the Hulu syncing bug at about the same rate on my Apple TV 4K and Roku Stick. My guess is that it’s a server side issue since it occasionally happens on all 3 of these platforms.
My experience is that the syncing issue occurs between dislike versions of their app. For example, our Watch lists sync properly among the 4th gen TVs and iPad app, which share the same UI constructs. Yet none of our Watch lists sync between those devices and the 3rd gen TVs, which have the original UI design.

George Dawes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I’ve got several atvs and I love them

Replaced my blu ray and DVD players as well as my freeview , Freesat and sky pvrs

Streaming is the future - embrace it

Reactions: orbital~debris

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
New hardware please! I have a 2018 LG OLED that will never be updated with new features because, you know, LG.

SeanZzz

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2019
My AT4 has frozen twice when powering on since this update yesterday. I’m also having color issues with it, occasionally everything looks grayed over, then out of no where it just goes back to normal.

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
After updating, I can no longer stream anything to the AppleTV. All it says is "connecting to Living Room" and then errors out.

nomad411

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
Canada
getgointernetcoaching.com
I am on the fence about this. I just recently got my first Smart TV, and AppleTV app is coming to it. Supposedly AirPlay2 as well. I look forward to seeing what the new Apple TV box will offer, new release in a few months?

Last edited:

Dizbuster

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2013
My AT4 has frozen twice when powering on since this update yesterday. I’m also having color issues with it, occasionally everything looks grayed over, then out of no where it just goes back to normal.
I updated yesterday and today I got the blinking light. Can’t turn it on...unplugged it, no luck. I need to go out and buy a USB-C tomorrow to restore it on my computer. Hopefully it’ll resolve the problem.

Vassily

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2019
Nope. Never worked on mine either.
Well, it does, but you gotta keep your device on at all times. It's won't wake up on its own, I reckon. When you turn it on, it will come and and do the update. It does with me on a 4K appleTV device but it also used to do the same in the past with older devices.