Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2016
I did. I see downtown LA and a snowcapped mountains. I don't recall ever seeing these. It also shows a short caption at the beginning.

EDIT: I just saw a space station video flying over China.

Did you do a fresh install of TvOS12 or an update from 11?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Did you do a fresh install of TvOS12 or an update from 11?

I updated normally. I was on tvOS 11 and found the update available. It might take time to download new screensavers though. Each one is 650MB. I have a 350mbps connection. Maybe they all downloaded quickly after the update.

Last edited:

ayyak

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
I got the NASA over LA and Mexico, I just had to go to settings and change the frequency of the download to daily and it appeared.

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2016
I got the NASA over LA and Mexico, I just had to go to settings and change the frequency of the download to daily and it appeared.

Mine was already on daily. But for giggles, i tried switching it to weekly and then back to daily, and still nothing.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I turned off beta updates and I'm trying to do a Reset and Update, but it's saying there's no update available. Should this work later today or do I need to go out and buy a USB-C cable.

I don't even have any USB 3.0 devices.
If you are on the beta, then you should of got this build last week already. In that case, there is no newer build to update to.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I actually called an Apple Rep today regarding this issue and she said that it might be due to the just released update and will need hours if not days for the screensavers to download. In any case, since I was using all the betas I'm doing a clean install to test if it shows up.
Careful. If you do a clean install you will lose all the screensavers that you have already downloaded. When you do a reset you basically start off with about 5-6 screensavers and then a new one downloads each day. So, it will take a week or so to end up with all the screensavers. They don't just all download when you first install.

Reactions: 02275629

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2016
Careful. If you do a clean install you will lose all the screensavers that you have already downloaded. When you do a reset you basically start off with about 5-6 screensavers and then a new one downloads each day. So, it will take a week or so to end up with all the screensavers. They don't just all download when you first install.

Thanks --! That's a good reminder.

First new screensaver just popped up -- From Space flying over the Pacific Ocean Towards the U.S. Wahoo!

Muramasa

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
How does the passwords feature work? My Apple TV shuts off with a power cut off by an Eve Power as part of my Goodnight HomeKit scene and every morning, all the passwords are reset.

I of course do this because AppleTV is inexplicably not in HomeKit automations even though it's a HomeKit device. But it's getting annoying because all of my apps then need to be logged in again.

I genuinely have no idea why you'd want to do this. You do realize that the AppleTV isn't meant to be suddenly cut off from the power supply, right? It's designed to go into standby as its way of being "turned off". What you're doing is the AppleTV equivalent of ripping out a MacBook Pro battery mid-operation, because you're "done using it for the moment."

The simple way of turning your AppleTV off is to hold the Home Button on the AppleTV remote or the Remote app on iOS, and pressing Sleep. OR you can just enable CEC and the AppleTV will auto sleep once you turn off your TV. OR you can just set a short sleep timer on the AppleTV and it'll go to sleep after the time you set.

I get wanting to have voice control over everything, but the way you're doing is it not only inconveniencing yourself, but also a total wasting a HomeKit automation device.

RyanMTS

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Only a handful of movies play in Atmos, while others just have the metatag and don't play in Atmos. Very strange. Anyone else experiencing this too? Any idea when the other movies will play in Atmos?

Movies that work: The Greatest Showman, The Hunger Games Pt. 1
Movies don't: Baby Driver, Jumanji, Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom

steeevo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2018
My bloody screensavers are still looping the same 5 over and over and over and over. I thought this update was going to fix this screensaver problem.

If you change your video settings to sdr and hdr you get different screensavers showing up.

I have only ever seen about 7 different screensavers all looping over and over and over again.

So annoying

Reactions: liberte1776

Front_242

Suspended
Jun 19, 2018
I got the new space aerials! I was trying to do a reset and reinstall but for some reason it got stuck not downloading the firmware... so I just did a reset and voilà! Got them! Tedious since had to re-sign in to all my apps with my TV provider even with "One Home Screen" feature
[doublepost=1537216549][/doublepost]
Only a handful of movies play in Atmos, while others just have the metatag and don't play in Atmos. Very strange. Anyone else experiencing this too? Any idea when the other movies will play in Atmos?

Movies that work: The Greatest Showman, The Hunger Games Pt. 1
Movies don't: Baby Driver, Jumanji, Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom
The Martian shows "Atmos" on iTunes but my LG TV does not pops the Atmos logo unlike with Blade Runner 2049

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
All installed but the Atmos is not working for me. I have the LG c8 and Sk10y soundbar both are Atmos. The setting says Atmos is available but std 5.1 soundtrack. The film (Baby Driver) has the atmos icon. It’s as if the atmos soundtrack is not there at their end. Tried Alien Covenant too.
I know this sounds silly since you just updated, but, try:

Settings>System>Restart.

If that doesn't work, it may be a matter of something akin to refresh with a browser, the iTunes server/server connection needs refreshed. I'd even try restarting my router, before doing any kind of reset with the ATV, IMO.
[doublepost=1537217310][/doublepost]Anyone getting Atmos with ATV 4th gen. (not 4K)?

(I don't yet have an Atmos setup).

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Not nice at all. I've had to reset my Apple TV to be able to see the damn ISS/NASA screensavers.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
My apple tv remote also got a firmware update when I installed tv os 12.

Previous firmware was 0x0245

New one is 0x0254

That was for a 4, not a 4K.

Don’t know if the 4K one got updated too.

Anyone else getting the remote firmware update too?

If you didn’t you can force it to update as follows:

Open the Settings app and navigate to the Remotes and Devices > Remote menu. With Remote selected, press the Play/Pause button four times to begin the update, which will take about 10 minutes to complete. The remote battery level must be at 25% or higher for the update to begin.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Updating tvOS does not update the screensavers, it will use the ones already downloaded, new ones are downloaded on the cycle you select here:

Settings>General>Screen Saver>Download New Video>

selections are:

Never
Daily
Weekly (default)
Monthly

Depending on your setting here is when you will get new screensavers.

Doing a reset just deletes the screensavers already downloaded so it has to download new ones upon startup. You could switch it to Daily, then you'll have new ones tomorrow.

But, if you're impatient, go ahead and reset your ATV just so you can have new screen savers now. :rolleyes:

steeevo

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2018
I have tried every setting. I have reinstalled restarted reset contacted apple and the only way i can get different screen savers is change video settings to sdr or hdr but still only ever get 7 screensavers.

It must be a problem with the router not letting apple tv download new ones

Front_242

Suspended
Jun 19, 2018
Updating tvOS does not update the screensavers, it will use the ones already downloaded, new ones are downloaded on the cycle you select here:

Settings>General>Screen Saver>Download New Video>

selections are:

Never
Daily
Weekly (default)
Monthly

Depending on your setting here is when you will get new screensavers.

Doing a reset just deletes the screensavers already downloaded so it has to download new ones upon startup. You could switch it to Daily, then you'll have new ones tomorrow.

But, if you're impatient, go ahead and reset your ATV just so you can have new screen savers now. :rolleyes:
Like I posted before, I just did a reset and got the space aerials.. and MAN! My "impatience" subsided! WOW! They are AMAZING! I popped some corn, invited all my family and neighbors and we are all at AWE watching those spectacular views! [[MAJOR SARCASM]] :rolleyes:;)

RyanMTS

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
More Atmos films have started to work for mine. Perhaps Apple just needed to release the rights from the various studios. Jurassic Park:Fallen Kingdom and Baby Driver are now working and displaying "Dolby Atmos" on my AVR.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I updated to tvOS 12 but didn't see any of the new satellite aerials. I did a restart through “settings” and now they're showing up.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
No need to reset to get the new screensavers, I switched to daily and (edit: starting to get) new screensavers now.

see my post above #42 and change to daily

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
No need to reset to get the new screensavers, I switched to daily and got new screensavers now.

see my post above #42 and change to daily

I was already set at daily but was not getting the new screensavers. A restart seems to have fixed that.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
(never mind)
[doublepost=1537224581][/doublepost]Is anyone getting Dolby Atmos with ATV 4th gen.??? Everything I'm reading says ATV 4K.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I genuinely have no idea why you'd want to do this. You do realize that the AppleTV isn't meant to be suddenly cut off from the power supply, right? It's designed to go into standby as its way of being "turned off". What you're doing is the AppleTV equivalent of ripping out a MacBook Pro battery mid-operation, because you're "done using it for the moment."

The simple way of turning your AppleTV off is to hold the Home Button on the AppleTV remote or the Remote app on iOS, and pressing Sleep. OR you can just enable CEC and the AppleTV will auto sleep once you turn off your TV. OR you can just set a short sleep timer on the AppleTV and it'll go to sleep after the time you set.

I get wanting to have voice control over everything, but the way you're doing is it not only inconveniencing yourself, but also a total wasting a HomeKit automation device.

Because my entire home is automated with HomeKit and AppleTV inexplicably doesn’t allow HomeKit Automation even though it’s a HomeKit device. When I say “Hey Siri goodnight”, my lights turn off, my AC cools my bedroom to 20°C, my doors lock, my security cameras turn on and my TV turns off.

I could manually turn off the tv but I could also manually turn off the lights and manually set the thermostat and manually lock the doors and manually turn on the cameras.

I’m just waiting for Apple to finally bring AppleTV into HomeKit. Meanwhile, settings shouldn’t be reset if the power is cut off. My AppleTV remains logged into my AppleID and settings are supposed to sync via iCloud to all AppleTVs logged into that AppleID. That it does not seems to be a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.