Apple Releases tvOS 13.4 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 13.4, the third major update to the tvOS operating system that runs on the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models. tvOS 13.4 comes a couple of months after the release of tvOS 13.3.1.

tvOS 13.4, a free update, can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System > Software Update. Apple TV owners who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to tvOS 13.4 automatically.

tvOS updates are typically minor in scale, focusing on under-the-hood bug fixes and improvements rather than major outward-facing changes.

tvOS 13.4 introduces some small design changes to streamline the look of the TV app and it adds Family Sharing integration so users can access iTunes content purchased by family members without having to leave the app.

Additional details on the tvOS 13.4 update will be available in Apple's tvOS support document.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 13.4 for Fourth and Fifth-Generation Apple TV Models

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Sarcasm. Noun. “the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.”
Oh, thank you ever so much for explaining this wondrous new word, the like of which I've never heard uttered before. Pray tell, is it common amongst the folk where you live?

The line between sarcasm and just plain unreasonable, unthinking, requests here is rather thin and fuzzy. If you venture too close to it, it's easy to get misinterpreted.

Slubgub

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Why oh why can't you access your library through the TV app instead of the separate computers app? Not to mention the computers app still uses the narrow art format instead of the wide.

Reactions: albebaubles

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I like the Apple TV remote.

I am only compelled to mention this at all because of the constant need for some to rag about it. It is like they get pleasure from doing so. Even in articles about software updates.

In fact I just got a new TV on the weekend and gave Mrs Entropy the unasked for pleasure of my rant about the clunky remote’s button proliferation, random location of functions and indeed, it reminded me of Jobs’ intro of the iPhone and the problems of keyboards. It is inelegant compared with the Apple TV remote.

And here is a tip. Use a decent modern HDMI port and you can even control the Apple TV with that badly thought out remote that comes with your TV. And then you clowns can forget about whinging.

Joniz

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
Still doesn’t fix the issue on two ATV4s since I updated both to TVOS of the remote volume control not working more than half the time when I start a movie/show/video playing after switching AirPods over. Still have to take them out, allow to disconnect, and then put them back in again.

Never was a problem before tvOS 13 ever.

ArmPol

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
UK
This update seems to have fixed the jerkiness of both horizontal and vertical scrolling through Netflix programmes for me, touch wood.

iDento

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Why oh why can't you access your library through the TV app instead of the separate computers app? Not to mention the computers app still uses the narrow art format instead of the wide.
This is why I use Infuse app, unfortunately the Apple TV is broken out of the box unless you rent movies from iTunes.

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
NETFLIX app for Apple TV is the WORSE POS App ever. It bogs down, it crashes, you can't turn off auto preview that just hangs and crashes the App. Hope this update help fix some of these issues.

Joniz

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
Breaks Unwatched list of movies on local computer app. Makes movie images unviewable.

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York
This updated bricked my Apple TV HD and iTunes won’t allow it to restore saying “ software for this apple TV is not currently available"

Reactions: ferretex

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
AppleTv app still doesn’t load large libraries.

Way to punish your best customers, Apple.

femike

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I don't think there are many people working on tvOS, not even a dedicated team. I've had the latest type of Apple TV since its release almost 4 years and there has been hardly any changes (controller addition was good), despite there being so much room for improvement across the board. There is no need for the remote to function as a controller anymore, so I hope the abysmal remote is totally redesigned, and also tvOS needs a major overhaul.

jhollington

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
5th gen = 4K according to recently updated naming. While 4th gen = HD.
Not unlike how the iPhone 3G was actually the second-generation iPhone 😏

Apple's going to have to find something else to name the next Apple TV if the rumours are true and there's another one coming out this year.
- - Post merged: - -

Am I the only one here who actually likes the Apple TV remote? It’s small, thin, light, makes for smooth and quick scrolling / scrubbing, and isn’t crowded with tons of useless buttons I will never use.
No, I personally like the Siri Remote too. Since I do all of my TV viewing through my Apple TV and have HDMI-CEC setup for power and volume control, it's actually the only remote I use 99% of the time (I have a Harmony One sitting by the TV that hasn't been picked up in years).

Really, wireless charging and a sort of "Find My" feature are the only things on my wish list for the Siri Remote, although I do have to admit it's a bit unintuitive and tricky to explain when friends and family come over to visit and want to use it.

Reactions: orbital~debris

NewHorizon75

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
I have been unable to update my Apple TV 3rd Gen as well. Is there a direct way to notify apple that the update is failing for many people? I have tried every solution I can think of, reset, re-store, rebooting the device, wifi, ethernet, and nothing has worked. Seems the update file is likely corrupted.

Reactions: ferretex

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
No, I personally like the Siri Remote too. Since I do all of my TV viewing through my Apple TV and have HDMI-CEC setup for power and volume control, it's actually the only remote I use 99% of the time (I have a Harmony One sitting by the TV that hasn't been picked up in years).

Really, wireless charging and a sort of "Find My" feature are the only things on my wish list for the Siri Remote, although I do have to admit it's a bit unintuitive and tricky to explain when friends and family come over to visit and want to use it.
I find the control layout nearly ideal (and, like you, use it 99% of the time), but the chassis needs to be more ergonomic - it's so flat, thin, and smooth that it's difficult to pick up off a table without focusing on the task, and human hands weren't built for rigidly rectangular objects. And it's difficult to orient in the hand without looking to see which end is which.

I have mine in an old (sadly long discontinued) Griffin Survivor Play case, which makes it more grippy, more rounded/ergonomic, and so it sits a little higher up off the table so it's easier to pick up (the cheap, thin, loose-fitting knockoffs currently listed on Amazon are not nearly as good). And I have Apple's Remote Loop attached - not to use as a wrist strap, just as a "tail", to make orientation in the hand, without looking, easier (it also makes finding it if it ends up under a pillow a bit easier). Keep the same control layout/operation, but make the ATV remote a little more ergonomic and grippy, and it'd be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.