Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InauguralHobbit

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
Apple’s own native podcast app’s audio gets horribly out of sync if you ever pause a video podcast. The only way to fix the desync is by unplugging the ATV altogether.

Reactions: zapmymac

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I'm not sure when it was released, but the Tungnaa Iceland Highlands aereal screensaver is horrible. I did a quick search and it appears that this screensaver was added back in December, but my AppleTV must've just downloaded. For the past week, this is the first aerial that pops up and I HATE IT.

According to Apple, you cannot delete a specific screensaver, you can only disable a theme which in my opinion is not helpful. For this one, I have to disable earth scenery, which also disables the aerials of Hawaii which I really like, but that's the only way to get rid of this hideous one.
View attachment 2005656
I think it is absolutely beautiful and captivating.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I'm not getting my hopes up that this will fix the subtitles (captions) issue with the BBC app. Due to an obscure interaction between the way Apple defines subtitles and the way the BBC handles subtitles, the BBC app has no subtitles. So BBC is inaccessible to half of my family. Slightly starting to regret buying this Apple TV.

I had a question regarding subtitles. If you turn on subtitles in one app, why would that impact other apps. For example, I turn on Subtitles when I watch something on Paramount Plus, yet if I turn to ESPN+, the subtitles are on. There isn't a way to dictate which apps I want subtitles for and which apps I don't?

Reactions: zapmymac

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
The weirdest thing has developed recently with my 4th Gen ATV. I have to do a restore from my Mac to update the OS. If I do it from the device it will download the update, start the update and eventually the power LED will just flash continuously which indicates the update failed. It will happen over and over again until I move the box and do a restore from my Mac.

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
tvOS really feels like the forgotten OS at Apple. Seems like the only reason it gets updates is because it shares components with iOS.
I don't buy that. Over the the Apple TV OS has gotten significantly better at handling spatial audio. Now feeding Dolby Atmos through a pair of HomePods produces rather spectacular results. If you want to knock Apple for anything, you should be complaining about its failure to capitalize on the Home Pod technology by making it four-way rather than two-way and adding a subwoofer to create a match to the Sony HT-A9 (which really does eat the HomePod's lunch). For this reason Apple does indeed deserve criticism, but the TV OS at least lays the foundation for such a home theater system if Apple ever does decide to get aboard that particular train.

Reactions: George Dawes

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
If there isn't anything major, shouldn't it be 15.4.1?
No, because the underlying core code, that's common between iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS, etc., presumably got an update that Apple thought warranted a .x version number increment. Just because there aren't a lot of user-visible features doesn't mean there aren't substantive changes.

It is annoying that they don't release proper release notes for all the platforms. A long time ago, I subscribed to security-announce@lists.apple.com, where they announce the security content of new OS releases (and sometimes I find out that new OS versions are out because of those posts before I see the articles here on MacRumors), and the security changes made in, say, iOS, to fix potential (or actual) exploits are often repeated across their other OS's.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Can't you just swipe to the next one?
You can, if you feel like doing a manual step every time the ATV goes to screensaver. But it's supposed to work the other way around - computers are supposed to do the things that we want them to, for us, not us having to continually nudge them back into the lane we want them in.

It annoys me too, that they can't have a screen somewhere that lists all the scenes, with a checkbox next to each one, so you can opt out of any you don't care for - there's a number of them I find boring and would like to take out of the rotation.

Or, you know, add an API on tvOS to control these and let me write code to make it do what I want. At this point, the only course available right now would be to... hmm, set up a Raspberry Pi with a camera, watching the TV screen constantliy, armed with a library of the start of each screensaver scene I don't care for, and then if it recognizes one of those scenes on the screen, have it control a servo to do the "finger swipe" on a second dedicated remote (or work out what codes can be sent via IR or BT to control it, and then implement hardware to send those). Which would be a ridiculous amount of work to created a workaround for a fairly obvious missing feature. Again, computers should be helping, not causing extra work - and the ATV is essentially an entertainment computer - if it's not making the user happy, it's failing at its main job.

"Just swipe to the next one" is a mediocre and needlessly repetitive solution to the problem.

Reactions: Gator5000e

stoneagem

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2021
Germany
I just tested it - the laggy Volume Control via hdmi still exists- since September Last year nothing changed.

But i think the Problem is with the remote. It all started with the remote Firmware Update

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I had a question regarding subtitles. If you turn on subtitles in one app, why would that impact other apps. For example, I turn on Subtitles when I watch something on Paramount Plus, yet if I turn to ESPN+, the subtitles are on. There isn't a way to dictate which apps I want subtitles for and which apps I don't?
I've not really got to grips with my Apple TV yet, so this is more of a general answer:

On any device (PC, smartphone, smart TV, media streamer hardware) there's two ways of activating subtitles: System settings, and per-app settings.

System settings are available to all apps. Many apps will follow system settings (language, subtitle preferences etc).

Some apps may ignore system settings and have their own toggles for subtitles.

On Apple TV it might be that the apps you are complaining about handoff their subtitle toggles to System settings. This means altering subtitle settings in one app actually toggles System settings. So when you open another app you find the subtitle settings are the same as you just set in the previous app.

There are valid accessibility reasons for doing it like this - as a general principle, System accessibility settings should flow through all apps on the device. Sorry it doesn't suit your particular use-case.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I just tested it - the laggy Volume Control via hdmi still exists- since September Last year nothing changed.

But i think the Problem is with the remote. It all started with the remote Firmware Update
I'm running ATV4k (2nd gen w/Siri Remote) to an LG C1 TV to a Sonos Arc soundbar -- so that's BT from remote to ATV4K then HDMI-CEC to the TV then HDMI-eARC to the Arc, with the Sonos App on the iPad monitoring the Arc's volume level over WiFi -- and I can hit the volume up/down buttons on the Siri Remote and see the volume display in the Sonos app on my iPad jump up/down nearly simultaneously.

Macrumors suggests the Siri Remote firmware changed last August from 9M6336 (0x0060 in the ATV menus) to 9M6772 (0x0061 in the ATV menus). My ATV says the remote has 0x0061, indicating the latest version.

If you're having a volume lag problem, it would appear to be something more subtle/complex than a blanket/general problem with all volume control going over HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.