Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released tvOS 17.3, the third major update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.3 comes over a month after tvOS 17.2, an update that brought the revamped Apple TV app.

apple-tv-4k-yellow-bg-feature.jpg

tvOS 17.3 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to tvOS 17.3 automatically.

tvOS updates are typically minor in scale compared to other operating system updates, focusing primarily on bug fixes and smaller improvements rather than notable outward-facing changes. No new features were found in the tvOS 17.3 beta testing process.

Apple shares release notes for tvOS in its tvOS support document, which is updated after each new version of tvOS comes out.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 17.3

Reactions: Aves

red elma

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2019
Silicon Valley
They screwed up the iTunes Movies in the new "Store" big time.
Categories are a big mess, they've got 25 year old movies in the "New Releases" section.
Whatever happened to "Movie Reviews" section? It was always my go-to section before renting or buying movies.
There is no separate "Favorites" section for the Movies any longer. Favoriting anything now just adds them to the freaking "Watchlist" timeline.
Not to mention IR volume control...

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
I hope that this version fixes the issues with the IR volume control not working that 17.2 introduced. Will find out in a few hours :)
I restart my remote 1-2x per week bc of this.

Press the button with the TV icon and Vol Down together for five seconds or so, until the light on the Apple TV unit starts flashing. Wait a minute or so and it should work again.

macOSSlawHotelaw

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
Wasn't the wishlist feature coming back with this update? I do not see it.
I see it in mine. Open the old iTunes Movies app, and the regular 17.2 screen telling you to go the TV app will show up, but at the top, there’s a menu item to go to the wish list. I’m glad they listened to all of the complaints over our missing lists, and I took pictures of it for safekeeping in case it goes away again.

Reactions: midkay

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I can't imagine any amount of updates will fix the Apple TV. It is a complete mess from a usability standpoint. Including the remote that tries to make a button a touch pad and gets my intentions wrong 75% of the time. Maybe with hardware so bad I should turn on Siri, that way I only get 60% failures.

Sir Not Cusa

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2017
I see it in mine. Open the old iTunes Movies app, and the regular 17.2 screen telling you to go the TV app will show up, but at the top, there’s a menu item to go to the wish list. I’m glad they listened to all of the complaints over our missing lists, and I took pictures of it for safekeeping in case it goes away again.
That’s just half the wishlist. The ability to add and remove items are still absent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.