Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.2.1 is a minor update that comes a month after the launch of tvOS 9.2, a more significant update that introduced a range of features from Bluetooth keyboard support and dictation to Siri search for the App Store and app folders.

The new tvOS 9.2.1 update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Those who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to the new 9.2.1 operating system automatically.

apple_tv_4_software_update_720.jpg

As a minor 9.x.x update, tvOS 9.2.1 focuses on bug fixes and performance updates to address issues discovered since the release of tvOS 9.2, and no major outward-facing changes were discovered during the beta testing process.

tvOS 9.2.1 is the fourth update the tvOS operating system has seen since its October 2015 release, following tvOS 9.1, tvOS 9.1.1, and tvOS 9.2.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 9.2.1 Update for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Since the last time updating my Apple TV I can no longer scrub through the video player with the touchpad. I can only jump 10 seconds at a time with the corners. Did anyone else notice this? Was it a bug or intentional?

jimithing1

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Since the last time updating my Apple TV I can no longer scrub through the video player with the touchpad. I can only jump 10 seconds at a time with the corners. Did anyone else notice this? Was it a bug or intentional?
This is intentional due to people accidentally scrubbing and losing their place. Scrubbing is still there, just hit pause and scrub away.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008

It was intentional I think, you now need to pause first in order to scrub. Personally I prefer this because anytime I would touch the remote by accident it would change places.

Reactions: Keane16

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
This is intentional due to people accidentally scrubbing and losing their place. Scrubbing is still there, just hit pause and scrub away.

Hah! I had thought that had changed (I did immediately move on to the new behavior when they changed it)! Thanks for confirming. And indeed, I used to accidentally jump forward on occasion.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
apple_tv_4_software_update_720.jpg

Interesting choices for the buttons, DL and install or update later. MS has similar options for win10 updates and when people on win7 click later, the OS auto installs later, at the OS choice of time, cause the user clicked later and now it is later.

Ben2998

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
Canada
I hope this one won't brick my aTV. Last one updated overnight and I wasn't able to boot it afterward. Had to go in-store because the Genius Bar appointment website didn't list any available time for aTV repairs in the whole country.

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY

I too was confused by the change until I read this. It just goes to show how confusing the whole touchpad remote experience is. The click wheel was brilliant for music, and multitouch is great when you are actually touching the content on the screen. But I wish Apple had gone with Wii style motion tracking for the Apple TV interface, not an interface that causes so much thumb fatigue. Can anyone say anything positive about the Siri Remote?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I too was confused by the change until I read this. It just goes to show how confusing the whole touchpad remote experience is. The click wheel was brilliant for music, and multitouch is great when you are actually touching the content on the screen. But I wish Apple had gone with Wii style motion tracking for the Apple TV interface, not an interface that causes so much thumb fatigue. Can anyone say anything positive about the Siri Remote?
I could say lots of things positive about it, actually. Not that it's perfect, but I've rather enjoyed it overall. Especially compared to my Wii. Motion control is great for the games, but where navigating the interface is concerned (especially where text entry is concerned) I'd much rather have a Siri remote than a Wiimote.

Seems like this might be just another drop in the sea of stuff that's pretty much entirely opinion based.

Reactions: Keane16

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I thought I was going to hate the new remote but I've grown to love it after they changed how the scrubbing is handled. I've now completely stopped using my old Apple TV 3 remote.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
How about remote firmware? Do we have to update that too now? Or is the version still 0x0245? Nothing is mentioned on the updates page at https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT205444 just that 9.2.1 includes general performance and stability improvements. So I presume the remote is still on firmware 0x0245. But maybe this is wrong.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The new tvOS 9.2.1 update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Those who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to the new 9.1.2 operating system automatically.

Errr 9.1.2 typo.

-----
What is the built number, I just updated and it still has another update???
Built number after updating is 9.2.1 (13Y772)

Edit: Strange behaviour here, I just installed the update again, after booting up again it shows the same built number, yet again there is an (the same) update!!

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
So Apple TV supports Kodi right ? Doesn't matter what firmware you are on ?
Yes. If you don't want to go through the trouble of sideloading via Xcode, check out MrMC, which is a TVOS port of Kodi. Doesn't have the full functionality, but is pretty usable. Alternatively, Infuse is a nice app with a more Apple-like UI and has gotten really solid on the playback side too with the recent update.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Yes. If you don't want to go through the trouble of sideloading via Xcode, check out MrMC, which is a TVOS port of Kodi. Doesn't have the full functionality, but is pretty usable. Alternatively, Infuse is a nice app with a more Apple-like UI and has gotten really solid on the playback side too with the recent update.

Thanks ! Just picked one up.

arrow244

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
I hope they fixed the Apple TV slideshow bugs. Testing it later!
[doublepost=1463447545][/doublepost]Seriously. The slide show on the Apple TV 4 is a disaster. I have a shared file with 1000+ pictures in it -- the atv only plays the first 50 over and over. Previous generations handled it fine.

mrhe3t

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015
After reading through the comments, I'm wondering if the missing description issue plagues only me. The ATV4 for some reason does not show the description of any TV shows. Works fine on the ATV3 but not ATV4.

ekko20six

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
After reading through the comments, I'm wondering if the missing description issue plagues only me. The ATV4 for some reason does not show the description of any TV shows. Works fine on the ATV3 but not ATV4.

I've noticed the 3 uses the short description and the 4 uses the long description.
Check your media files with subler

I've also noticed if I load content from my computer or using the remote app on my phone if I swipe up there is no info. If I load from the AppleTV4 and swipe up its there.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think there has to be a better way to see if the remote has to be updated. It is easy to check if the tv os has to be updated but all you can do for the remote is to check the firmware version. It doesn't tell you if it needs to be updated. Currently the only way is to install it manually. If it is a higher firmware number after installing then it had to be updated. If it is the same number then it didn't need updating. But you will only know after installing it.

Surely apple could have some better way of saying if the remote firmware needs updating - just like it tells you if the tv os needs updating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.