Apple Releases tvOS 9.2.2 Update for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released a new update for tvOS, the operating system designed to run on the fourth-generation Apple TV. tvOS 9.2.2 comes two months after the release of tvOS 9.2.1, a small bug fix update, and almost four months after the launch of tvOS 9.2, a significant update that introduced features like Bluetooth keyboard support and dictation.

The new tvOS 9.2.1 update can be downloaded over the air through the Settings app on the Apple TV by going to System --> Software Update. Those who have automatic software updates turned on will be upgraded to the new 9.2.2 operating system automatically.

As another minor 9.x.x update, tvOS 9.2.2 focuses on performance improvements and bug fixes to address issues discovered since the release of tvOS 9.2.1. No major outward-facing changes or obvious bug fixes were discovered during the beta testing process.

Apple is already working on the next-generation update to tvOS, tvOS 10. tvOS 10 brings features like improved Siri capabilities, single sign-on cable authentication, games that can require a controller, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases tvOS 9.2.2 Update for Fourth-Generation Apple TV

2. slapppy macrumors 65816

Probably won't fix the random stuttering. Infuse plays everything smoothly. Hilarious a third party app plays better than the native versions. lol

3. Dan-- macrumors regular

Sorry I haven't followed the Apple TV in a while... is there yet a way to listen to your music library in lossless without having a computer running and hogging iTunes?

(Like there was with a V1 ATV?)

4. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Apple will need to update the hardware again before the holiday season, maybe sometime around the iphone launch to keep the Apple TV ball rolling, getting back to annual updates.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You still need iTunes serving up your media. Just like other services that require an application running on your host computer/nas box i.e. plex and streamtome.

That is a good question about lossless. I don't know if it does this or not. It has been a while since I actually used iTunes for music.

6. ProVideo macrumors 6502

Great. Now update gen 3 so I can use the Apple Music account on it. If they are still selling Gen 3, it should be able to support their service.

7. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

In most businesses, "support" does not imply "product will spontaneously sprout amazing new capabilities in the future". Unfortunately, you are aware that certain features are implemented via software. It is your own inference that somehow your product should sprout new features because of that; and you are disappointed because of that. But consumer devices are not general-purpose computers-- there's no implied promise that the device you buy today will get all future features.

8. ProVideo macrumors 6502

Then they shouldn't continue selling the 3rd generation on/in their own store if it's so out of date that it can't even support their own major music service. With how much they want to push Apple Music, a simple update to support it would probably make people more willing to sign up.

I'm also pissed that my 3rd generation used to support Apple radio stations when it was included in iTunes Match, but now it won't support them even though I am paying for Apple Music. This is bad form on their part and makes me question continuing to invest in their ecosystem if a product is going to lose major functionality less than a month after purchasing it.

I've been using my Roku much more over the past few months and am considering ditching the Apple TV and Apple Music because of stuff like this.

9. R.T. macrumors member

R.T.

I use my Apple TV every day and I've not seen any stuttering anywhere.

10. mollie319, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

mollie319 macrumors newbie

mollie319

Can't say my AppleTV 4th gen stutters anywhere. Living in The Netherlands (for regional purpose! We use 1080p 50Hz, although my AppleTV is set to AUTO and decided to use 1080P 60Hz).
    But nonetheless, no stuttering at all over here!
    I use it quite often with Netflix, Plex and Infuse. All playing content perfectly.
    Youtube or some news apps also play without stuttering.

11. slapppy macrumors 65816

You need 60" - 80" screen. You'll see it.

12. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

So Toyota should stop selling gasoline powered cars entirely, now that they have some electric and hybrid models?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2016 ---
    I am always amused, when I update my Apple TV, that it admonishes me "don't unplug Apple TV while it's updating". Always end up thinking, "Aww! But I wanted to take my Apple TV off the charger and go outside and play with it!"

13. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

You sure it's not some bogus image enhancement that's turned on?

Some of the big TVs have really terrible specs...

14. AZMecha macrumors member

AZMecha

I totally understand disappointment, however this is how "tech" continuously evolves. Apple TV 3rd-Gen has been avaiable since 2012. It's time for you to upgrade.. the new remote touch interface and siri should have done it for you. If cost is pain point then keep an on Bestbuy they had Apple TV discount $20 bucks off last week or wait until the black friday or cyber monday deals in coming months..

15. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

They're also available in Apple's refurb store

16. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Remote firmware is still 0x0245 so don't bother trying to update the remote.

17. aquadevil2002 macrumors newbie

If it is Hisense, TCL or any of those cheap chinese crap then the screen stutters and flickers. Not on my 75" Sony.

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I have one that does it every once in a while and two that don't. It's not annoying enough to me to have done any serious troubleshooting though such as swapping their locations or running separate cable to it.
    The one I have that exhibits this is smaller. 55"
    I always briefly think, "I should get whole home backup power."
    The television mine is connected to is higher end as well (Sony something or another, can't remember the model number but second from top product line they produce) and it does this. The other two are also Sony (similar higher to high end models) and they do not.

19. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Have they fixed the issue where your purchased music album says can not be downloaded or playback because it is not available in the United States when actually it is available and was purchased in the U.S. Same issue happening for some Apple Music or CDs I ripped which is getting old and annoying this same plaque returning.

20. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I don't see any stuttering on my 65" Mitsubishi

21. 6836838 Suspended

Left and right scrolling is still the wrong way around and not consistent with other devices. Damn confusing.

22. theheadguy macrumors 65816

What's wrong with him or her wanting their Gen 3 to support Apple Music? Why put the effort into defending the lack of such a major feature in a product a single generation back? How bizarre.

23. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

24. Lappen71 macrumors 6502

Lappen71

Infuse plays smoothly?
    What a joke

25. Munimula macrumors newbie

Nothing wrong with them wanting it, but no reason to expect it. It is a commodity device with no guarantee of any future feature. What I find bizarre is people considering Apple Music to be a major feature. It is not a feature at all. It is a for-pay, optional service. While direct support may be a mild convenience, nothing has stopped me from using AirPlay to stream my Apple Music from my phone or iPad to any of my 4 3rd-Gen Apple TV's or my one 4th-Gen. I realize this approach may not be what others expect, it's just the way I like mine to work