Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Coming from a 7 Plus with higher resolution and higher DPI, I expected to be slightly disappointed, but unless I stare intently at the screen, it looks just as sharp. I don't watch TV or movies on my iPhone, but movies look really good, particularly those with HDR/DV, and the audio is MUCH better than my 7 Plus.

I'd recommend the XR to anybody.

Thanks. Exactly the sort of opinion I was looking for!

Played with one at the Apple Store and it seems like a gigantic leap forward from the previous "low-end" iPhone. Would recommend to people in the market for a new phone.

Thanks.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
So XR buyers what is the verdict so far? Are you happy? If you switched from a dual lens iPhone, do you miss that?

How is the display? I haven’t had time to stop by an Apple Store recently. I’ve seen YouTube reviews but I prefer hearing from regular people.

I love my XR so far. The screen is amazing in 95% of the situations: crisp, bright, with really accurate and eye pleasing colours. I'm really addicted to the screen. If you're watching a 21:9 movie, you only lose about 13% of the pixels (less the notch) compared to an old Plus phone despite the fact the XR has 28.5% less pixels because of the super wide 39:18 aspect ratio.

Camera is excellent as well. The single lens portrait photos are surprisingly good if you can get past the wide angle subjects. Low light photos are good. I've never had a dual lens iPhone before but I thought I should take that money I save to buy a DSLR. The XR is $330 cheaper than the XS in Canada but I thought 64GB would be too small but didn't think I would need 256GB as I pay for the 2TB of iCloud storage, so I thought 128 GB would be a good size, so really I saved $460. $460 will go towards getting an entry level DSLR and superzoom lens. I want to get into some sports photography and no dual lens camera will do it.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
So XR buyers what is the verdict so far? Are you happy? If you switched from a dual lens iPhone, do you miss that?

How is the display? I haven’t had time to stop by an Apple Store recently. I’ve seen YouTube reviews but I prefer hearing from regular people.

I love everything about the phone except that the wireless charging has not worked on multiple wireless chargers since I updated to 12.1. The chargers work fine on my wife’s XS.

Outside of the charging, I absolutely love it this far.

brammitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018

I switched from an original Pixel XL. This is my first iPhone ever and I couldn't be happier. The camera has been fine so far. I haven't noticed any loss in quality compared to the Pixel, and the portrait mode is excellent.

The display is really nice. My only complaints are some apps, mainly a couple of games that I play, that do not appear to be optimized for the XR's screen resolution. Certain parts that looked fine on my Pixel now have letterboxing or funky aspect ratios.

I really enjoy the convenience of wireless charging, especially for my car mounts, and the battery life blows the Pixel out of the water.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Very happy! I upgraded from an iPhone 7 Plus, and I love the XR. The bigger screen in a smaller size is great. The speed is great, the colors are great, the speakers are great, Face ID is great, etc.

Yes and no. I wish it had the optical zoom, but not a deal breaker for me.

Coming from a 7 Plus with higher resolution and higher DPI, I expected to be slightly disappointed, but unless I stare intently at the screen, it looks just as sharp. I don't watch TV or movies on my iPhone, but movies look really good, particularly those with HDR/DV, and the audio is MUCH better than my 7 Plus.

I'd recommend the XR to anybody.

Thanks. Exactly the sort of opinion I was looking for!

Realized a little bit ago that the bolded part of my post might have seemed like I was referring to the XR's body, and should have clarified better that I was referring to the screen's color accuracy, which I'm sure can't compare to the X, XS, or XS Max, but is more pleasing than the 7 Plus' screen.

Reactions: lec0rsaire

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
I have an XR already updated to 12.1, so my device says it is up-to-date. If there is a fix required for the XR, I am not sure why it is not being offered to me.

Reactions: 5105973

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007

I am very happy. I came from a 7+ which I gave to my daughter. I love the battery life first. I see no difference in screen quality although I do miss the extra width of the 7+ screen. Can’t imagine what a standard X or Xs would be like.

I do not miss the dual lense at all. Only rarely would I use the zoom lens, and I hated portrait mode on the 7+ as the pics were always too grainy. I have also never needed to use portrait mode on a non human so I’m not missing anything.

Reactions: lec0rsaire

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Probably an update to throttle and drain the faster.
Man I hope so. The battery on that thing is crazy long and needs to drain some. geez. :)

I have an XR already updated to 12.1, so my device says it is up-to-date. If there is a fix required for the XR, I am not sure why it is not being offered to me.
Plug into iTunes and it will offer the update (if you want it) No idea what was fixed though.

DFU restore is your only option now.
Nope, Itunes will offer the update if plug it in. No DFU required.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Man I hope so. The battery on that thing is crazy long and needs to drain some. geez. :)

Plug into iTunes and it will offer the update (if you want it) No idea what was fixed though.

Nope, Itunes will offer the update if plug it in. No DFU required.
So any advantage to update?

funwithstuff

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
The update doesn't appear to be showing up on devices that have already installed iOS 12.1, suggesting the new version of the software is designed for customers who have not yet upgraded their iPhone XR devices to the iOS 12.1 update. Why Apple released an updated version of iOS 12.1 for the XR is unknown, but it's likely to include minor bug fixes.
Could be due to this error, which I saw exactly once, shortly after upgrading.

IMG_0702.jpg

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
Since 12.1 my XR would randomly go to a completely unresponsive screen for a couple minutes so I hope this addresses that.

I have had a few times of an unresponsive screen also.

I was already at 12.1 so I didn't get this separate update.

I starting to be concerned that there is a problem with the display. I noticed a few times what seems to be brief unresponsiveness to touch in addition to complete screen freeze.

Also, I definitely have had several instances when the screen image completely distorts; it is pixelated and monochromatic.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
So any advantage to update?
I would guess there is some little something they wanted/needed to fix or wouldn't have released it. So I guess there is some advantage to updating just not sure what it is at this point. Clearly its not major since they are not offering it OTA to all users who already have the previous version.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I would guess there is some little something they wanted/needed to fix or wouldn't have released it. So I guess there is some advantage to updating just not sure what it is at this point. Clearly its not major since they are not offering it OTA to all users who already have the previous version.
Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it and since mine is acting fine, I'll just wait for 12.1.1.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I am very happy. I came from a 7+ which I gave to my daughter. I love the battery life first. I see no difference in screen quality although I do miss the extra width of the 7+ screen. Can’t imagine what a standard X or Xs would be like.

I do not miss the dual lense at all. Only rarely would I use the zoom lens, and I hated portrait mode on the 7+ as the pics were always too grainy. I have also never needed to use portrait mode on a non human so I’m not missing anything.

Yeah, the Portrait mode on the 7 Plus needs lots of light. Very good results outside or indoors in a place that has lots of sunlight and/or bright lights. In low light situations it is grainy and this is true if flash is used outside of Portrait mode. For this reason I usually avoid smartphone flash in favor of getting the right street lighting at night.

I am glad you're enjoying the XR! I still have yet to see it in person. I do like the width of the 7/8 Plus but I guess compromises have to be made and the XR is an overall better phone. Thanks for your comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.