Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
At least it’s been confirmed that these components actually will be sold separately. Up until this the naysayers have just been drumming to the “I have to buy another one for my wife?!”-type beat, but it turns out, you might just need a different light seal. Same cushion, same bands. Maybe Rx lenses if one of you need glasses. But the modular design is actually a great thing, so now the haters are just going to settle on “but the price!” “It looks like a bra!”… just bad faith, disingenuous critics who get their kicks farming drama. 🥱

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
It’s obviously overpriced; but then again if you can afford to spend that much money on a headset, $200 for a case will probably be change.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I would imagine the old apple would have included this after spending almost four thousand dollars!

Alas they don’t even give you a charging brick these days. Cable to go away too

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Sorry Apple, gtfo with these prices. 512GB, case, cover, AppleCare + tax are close to $5K. I don't think mass adoption is in the cards if these prices stay.

Just for a frame of reference, when the iPhone was first released it cost $599. Then Apple adjusted its marketing quickly and dropped the price. To calm the angry masses it gave $100 back to the very first buyers. Then as the iPhone grew its features and matured as a product, Apple naturally hiked prices. That's just good marketing. At $399, it was slightly over 1% of take home pay for an average American at the time. Accessories and warranty would set you back another ~$200-$300.

With the AVP, Apple is literally pushing a first gen product that's closer to 9% of the average annual take home pay at launch, and that's before you spend another grand on extras.
Ever take a look at the price of the original Mac adjusted for inflation?

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
$200 for a case. Or wait 1 week and Amazon will have one for $29. This product all in just screams frivolous spending.
Not to mention if the material degrades itsself in few months to become one with nature like the FineWoven material. Forcing people to buy a new one.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Crazy that this is not included. Buy any nice pair of over the ear headphones (except the AirPod Max) and you'll get a nice case that completely holds them and the necessary accessories. This should be no different.

Reactions: Timpetus

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
It wouldn't be Apple without an overpriced accessory. Haven't we learned how the game is played? They release it, we laugh, people buy it, then comes another. 😂

Reactions: rbramseyjr

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
But wages do not increase with inflation. So that is not a good argument.
So wages haven't increased at all since 1984? But wages aren't the only factor here. Are you telling me the prices of computers haven't come down since then? The original mac sold for $2495. Sounds totally reasonable in today's money. But adjusted for inflation that's over $7500 today! Imagine paying $7500 for the BASE M3 iMac (the closest equivalent Apple sells today). You're telling me that has zero bearing on this conversation? The price of technology goes down over time,

• Love
Reactions: Timpetus and SFjohn

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
So wages haven't increased at all since 1984? But wages aren't the only factor here. Are you telling me the [rices of computers haven't come down since then? The original mac sold for $2495. Sounds totally reasonable in today's money. But adjusted for inflation that's over $7500 today! Imagine paying $7500 for the BASE M3 iMac (the closest equivalent Apple sells today). You're telling me that has zero bearing on this conversation? The price of technology goes down over time

These machines are not even made in the USA. You cannot apply USA inflation on these things. And if a country where these machines are produced becomes too expensive, it is being outsourced to an other cheap country.

• Disagree
Reactions: parseckadet

CPark98

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2016
It turns out I have a ton of travel cases in my house!
s-l1200.jpg

rbramseyjr

macrumors member
May 23, 2017
atlanta
But it's good to flex on people with their MacBook Airs in Starbucks when you show off your $3500 Apple Vision Pro and your $199 Apple Case.

barrista: i have a cold brew with a splash of coconut milk for zach.

zach: *reaches for coffee and accidentally deletes a folder*

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
At least it’s been confirmed that these components actually will be sold separately. Up until this the naysayers have just been drumming to the “I have to buy another one for my wife?!”-type beat, but it turns out, you might just need a different light seal. Same cushion, same bands. Maybe Rx lenses if one of you need glasses. But the modular design is actually a great thing, so now the haters are just going to settle on “but the price!” “It looks like a bra!”… just bad faith, disingenuous critics who get their kicks farming drama. 🥱
Sharing a Vision Pro sounds as easy as handing your iPad to a family member. Except you first have to change the light seal, the cushion, the band and the lenses 😂😂 “oh and here… grab this dangling battery”

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
$199 for a traveling case? I think I'll just wrap it in a $9.99 SpongeBob towel and drop it into a paper bag or something, jeez. 😫

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
$199 for a traveling case? I think I'll just wrap it in a $9.99 SpongeBob towel and drop it into a paper bag or something, jeez. 😫
Don’t worry, 3rd part will soon release something that cost a fraction, if you are interested.

I never buy that kinds of stuff at Apple, they are usually not very good either, they just have an half-eaten Apple on it. 3rd part seller usually don’t take a bite before they deliver.
It’s only Apple who can get away with that 😂

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
These machines are not even made in the USA. You cannot apply USA inflation on these things. And if a country where these machines are produced becomes too expensive, it is being outsourced to an other cheap country.
What's your point? The post I was replying to was discussing US wages. He specifically mentioned the average take home pay of Americans. Further, this device is priced in US dollars and only sold in the US right now. And that all ignores the fact that the US dollar has been the world's reserve currency since WWII.

Reactions: Timpetus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.