Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released fourth beta of an upcoming visionOS 1.1 update for developers, allowing them to test new features ahead of the software seeing a public launch. The new update comes a week after the release of the third beta.

visionOS-Home-Screen.jpg

The visionOS beta can be downloaded by going to the Settings app on the device and toggling on developer betas. A registered developer account is required, and Apple recommends making a backup before installing new software.

visionOS 1.1 brings support for iMessage Contact Key Verification and it adds Apple device management to the Vision Pro. With this functionality, IT departments at companies and educational institutions can manage Vision Pro headsets in the same way they manage iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

According to Apple's beta notes, users can now reposition volumetric scenes closer than before, enabling easier direct interaction with the volumetric scene content. That means objects can be placed closer to you.

Apple has also improved Personas in visionOS 1.1, making them look more natural and lifelike than before.

Article Link: Apple Releases visionOS 1.1 Beta 4

• Haha
Reactions: japanime and SFjohn

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Looking forward to installing this tonight. The last beta was much more stable than the first few. I know betas are always a risk, but 1.1 beta 1 was almost unusable.

Reactions: G5isAlive

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
To be clear you must have a paid dev account to get the vision beta right? I’ve about stopped using my avp till the next release cause it keeps getting hot and is just buggy AF.

• Disagree
Reactions: jole

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

General

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Apps built for visionOS changing scene types or upgrading from a compatible app will crash on launch if previously launched on a device. (121478050)

3rd Party Apps

Known Issues

• Some third-party apps might crash on launch or during use when Accessibility options are enabled. (122506670) (FB13595783)
    Workaround: Disable any Accessibility options before launching impacted apps.

Accessibility

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: The AccessibilityShortcut preference is reset if VoiceOver is toggled via triple-click of the crown immediately after completing setup. (121466353)

App Placement

New Features

• Near-user boundary for volumetric scenes have been modified. Users will now be able to reposition volumetric scenes much closer than before, which will enable easier direct interaction with the volumetric scene content. (120926205)

App Store Submission

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Apps built for visionOS are unable to use the front-facing-camera UI Required Device Capability. (121465787)

Control Center

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Opening Control Center during tracking fail or while transitioning into Travel Mode will lead to the Control Center indicator disappearing. (119676121)

Known Issues

• The Control Center indicator might be missing. (121071017)
    Workaround: Reboot your Apple Vision Pro.

Immersive Space

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Immersive apps might not resume automatically if Apple Vision Pro is taken off and put back in a different location. (122561314)

Lock Screen

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Passcodes containing a character which uses a diacritic can’t be used to unlock Apple Vision Pro. (122551154)

Mac Virtual Display / AirPlay Wireless

Known Issues

• Mac Virtual Display and AirPlay are known to conflict when used concurrently. Concurrent usage might result in performance degradation including connection failure. (110475215)

Markup

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Markup is not available for use in the visionOS Simulator. (122125666)

Passcode

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Passcode UI not obscured in screen recording and sharing. (121482327)

Passkeys

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Registering passkeys might not work on certain websites. (122217903)

Persona Enrollment

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Eye tracking may not be accurate after Persona capture until the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro. (121630768)

RealityKit

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: In multi-scene apps, custom Systems created for each scene are now released when the scene is dismissed. (116190653)
  • Fixed: RealityKit reports incorrect visualBounds for Attachments, which may impact entity placement. Larger attachments may be clipped due to the incorrect visualBounds values. (121887607)
  • Fixed: A scene associated with the RealityRenderer might be incorrectly registered to a non-RealityRenderer system resulting in a crash. (122392672)

Known Issues

• A scene associated with the RealityRenderer using a custom system is not updated every frame. (110476883)
    Workaround: Update your components by subscribing to SceneEvents.Update rather than using a System.
  • Assigning a new VideoPlayerComponent to an Entity that already has one will result in a black video screen. (117087641)
    Workaround: Reuse the existing VideoPlayerComponent or remove the existing one first before assigning the new one.

Settings

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Users might not be able to shut down Apple Vision Pro from Settings. (120555236)

ShaderGraph Materials

Known Issues

• ShaderGraph material node compositions might result in invalid visual output. (122723231)
    Workaround: Avoid using a common asset node for both a surface shader and a geometry modifier within a single material or duplicate the asset node if needed.

Simulator

Known Issues

• Simulator might quit unexpectedly when using Apple Studio Display or other 4-channel systems for audio output. (122506938)
    Workaround: Before launching Simulator, switch the audio output of your Mac to a different device such as headphones.

Siri

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Siri may be unusable. (122361345)
  • Fixed: Unable to invoke Siri in simulator. (122514562)

StoreKit

New Features

• New pricing properties price, currency, and currencyCode are now available on Transaction. If an offer was applied to the transaction, a new property offer is available to see information about it (id, type, payment mode), as well as convenience properties offerID, offerType, and offerPaymentMode. (106650768)
  • productDescriptionHidden(_:) API can be used to configure the visibility of product descriptions in ProductView, StoreView and SubscriptionStoreViewinstances within a view hierarchy. When building with Xcode 15.3, the view modifier can be used even if your app is running on iOS 17.0, iPadOS 17.0, macOS 14.0, tvOS 17.0, watchOS 10.0, visionOS 1.0, or later.
    When implementing a product view style, it can support this new view modifier by checking the descriptionVisibility property on the configuration value. (110414819) (FB12261973)
  • You can use SubscriptionStoreView to present promotional offers by adding the subscriptionPromotionalOffer(offer:signature:) modifier.
    If you’re already using inAppPurchaseOptions(_:)modifier to support promotional offers for StoreKit views, you should adopt the new API instead when your app is running on iOS 17.4, iPadOS 17.4, macOS 14.4, tvOS 17.4, watchOS 10.4, visionOS 1.1 or later. Do not use both APIs to apply a promotional offer for the same view. (115358806)

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: The isEligibleForIntroOffer property and isEligibleForIntroOffer(for:) method now reflect ineligibility in cases where a customer would otherwise be eligible for the offer if they weren’t actively subscribed. This means a customer which is not currently eligible for an introductory offer may become eligible in the future.
    Customers who redeem an introductory offer for a given subscription group will continue to never be eligible for another introductory offer in that subscription group. You can detect this case this by checking if any one transaction with a matching subscriptionGroupID has the type property on offer set to introductory. (103604770) (FB11889732)
  • Fixed an issue causing the refund request “Done” button to not dismiss the sheet when using StoreKit Testing in Xcode. (117482750)
  • Fixed: Apps which configure a SubscriptionStoreView to show terms of service & privacy policy links with automatic or URL destinations will now open the URLs in the default browser. (120985657) (FB13540404)

SwiftUI

New Features

• Immersive Space displacement value added to the Environment, indicating when the system has moved an Immersive Space from its default position for an active SharePlay session. (117694400)
  • Introduced named SwiftUI coordinate space for Immersive Space. Allows cross-window coordinate conversions to an open immersive space. (118422388)

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Volumes using the defaultSize(_: Rect3D, in: UnitLength) modifier to specify size, will now be the specified physical size at all display zooms. (116579319) (FB13240946)
  • Fixed: If the display zoom is changed in settings while a volume with a physical size is open, the content might be clipped. (120554484)

UI Frameworks

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Navigation bar display title modes are now respected and result in a smaller or larger navigation bar title. (114283700)

UIKit

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: UIApplication. setAlternateIconName(_:completionHandler:) is not supported in native visionOS apps. This does not affect compatible apps running on visionOS. (120929653) (FB13535833)

Vibrancy

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: UILabel.preferredVibrancy only supported semantic label colors, but now it supports all colors.
    let label = UILabel()
    label.preferredVibrancy = .automatic // default value
    label.textColor = .red // label will be rendered as vibrant red.

(115106359)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To be clear you must have a paid dev account to get the vision beta right? I’ve about stopped using my avp till the next release cause it keeps getting hot and is just buggy AF.

You haven't indicated if you've been running beta releases, or which aspects/apps you have trouble with. Can you be more specific?

Reactions: G5isAlive

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
You haven't indicated if you've been running beta releases, or which aspects/apps you have trouble with. Can you be more specific?
I have had betas in the past yes. I can enable public beta on my devices but not developer beta even though I have signed up for a developer account but not paid for it. The Id is registered however.

So currently all my devices are on public release like 17.3.1 etc. the Vision Pro does not allow for any other version or drop down except getting updates automatically.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Would appreciate hearing anyone's experience with this beta once you've been able to try it out.
Been using it for a few hours now. Seems as stable as the release version (much improved over earlier betas). May be a placebo effect, but responsiveness and eye tracking may be a bit improved. I appreciate the Vision Pro the more I use it. Looking forward to what Apple shows at WWDC this year.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Been using it for a few hours now. Seems as stable as the release version (much improved over earlier betas). May be a placebo effect, but responsiveness and eye tracking may be a bit improved. I appreciate the Vision Pro the more I use it. Looking forward to what Apple shows at WWDC this year.
Good to hear, thanks! I'm super excited for WWDC and visionOS 2.0 as well, it's already a great start and I can see so much potential ahead for future releases.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Ah, you need to sign up for a free apple dev account, I believe here: https://developer.apple.com/programs/enroll/. Once enrolled the developer beta option download will show up under software update, though not sure if it is immediate or not..
Thank you when I went to that link, it’s having me try and purchase developer program license. Is there a way to do that without having to purchase it?

Spoonbender01

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2016
Thank you when I went to that link, it’s having me try and purchase developer program license. Is there a way to do that without having to purchase it?
Hmm, I apologize I don’t. I was a paid developer that let it lapse into free, but know there is a free option to start as well. Anyone else know or perhaps a google rabbit hole?

Reactions: BarrettF77

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
It’s funny I’ve reset the vision already. And I see the developer option for my other devices but Vision Pro just refuses to show.

Really want to get off of 1.0.3. So buggy and keeps ramping up the fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.