Apple Releases watchOS 4.3.1 With watchOS 1 App Warnings, Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 29, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released watchOS 4.3.1, a small update to the watchOS 4 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 4.3.1 comes more than a month after the release of watchOS 4.3, a major update that introduced Portrait Nightstand Mode and re-added iPhone music controls.

watchOS 4.3.1 can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the iPhone by going to General --> Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the iPhone.

[​IMG]

As a 4.x.x update, watchOS 4.3.1 is minor in scale, focusing primarily on bug fixes and other under-the-hood performance improvements, with no major feature changes discovered during the beta testing period.

Prior to the release of watchOS 4.3.1, Apple stopped letting developers update Apple Watch apps built on the original watchOS 1 SDK. Starting with watchOS 4.3.1, you'll see an alert when launching a watchOS 1 app warning you that the app may not be compatible with future versions of watchOS.

This warning suggests Apple will perhaps drop support for watchOS 1 apps entirely in the future, perhaps in the upcoming watchOS 5 update that Apple will unveil at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week.

According to Apple's release notes, the watchOS 4.3.1 update also fixes a bug that could cause the Apple Watch to sometimes remain at the Apple Logo during startup for some users.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 4.3.1 With watchOS 1 App Warnings, Bug Fixes

2. Paesano macrumors newbie

Paesano

3. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Calling it now. WatchOS 5 won't run on the S0, but hoping that means that Apple allows Watch apps to bake in more functionality. No doubt these warnings are a sign of that.

4. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Whats this have to do with this thread, WatchOS 4.3.1 Release?

Back on the topic....imessages do better job syncing now with phone?

5. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Downloading it now hope it doesn't mess anything up.

6. scottct1 macrumors regular

scottct1

I am sure those that spent $10,000 for their original blinged out Apple Watches will be happy to hear they could soon be doorstops.

7. Baerok macrumors member

Baerok

I'm glad they fixed the issue with the watch not booting up properly, I was affected by it.

8. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

Well, seeing as they NEVER synced with the phone before, any syncing would be a better job.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I'm sure that anyone that spent that much views it as purely disposable income and simply doesn't care seeing as they've definitely updated by now anyway.

10. Kognito, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

Read the article or even the title and you’ll see that WatchOS 4.3.1 is warning about old apps. Hence my speculation.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Watch OS 1 was a joke anyway. Why they launched with apps running wirelessly is beyond me.

12. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Maybe, or they might have some more significant features that won't work on S0.

Either way, this will probably be the year I'll upgrade mine.

13. meetajhu macrumors member

meetajhu

They said “WatchOS 1” and not Watch 1?

14. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

The type of people that can drop 10k on a watch probably won’t notice the money missing when they buy a new 1k$ watch.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The First generation Apple Watch is the Apple Watch edition, which was offered in 18 karat gold.

16. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

The Edition also exists in other generations, but meetajhu's point is that this only limits watchOS 1 apps; it doesn't per se limit the series 0's ability to run future watchOS versions. (But it's likely that that, too, will soon be limited.)

17. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Pretty sure they aren't running WatchOS 1 on that watch right now.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is only one 18K _Gold_ Edition, hence why I Referenced this regarding the relation to Watch 1 (Or commonly referred to as the First Gen watch). I’m aware of the Ceramic Edition.

19. themick4u macrumors 6502

themick4u

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Freaking great news. The fact that Apple ever allowed these kind of abomination apps was ridiculous in the first place. Apple should have always just said app store coming soon with WatchOS 2. Can't come soon enough.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

On The subject of the first generation Apple Watch, I actually preferred using the watch stock because of some of the speed inconsistencies, just using the stock apps for fitness, notifications, etc, I thought It did perfectly with this, but it did struggle with third-party apps with performance sometimes and random crashes. Still a great watch for what its worth, likely depends how you’re using and what for.

22. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

At least it no longer requires being on the charger to install.

23. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Why does updating the Watch take sofa king long? Seriously.
    I'd like to add that to the wish list for WatchOS 5!
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    What?

24. dojoman macrumors 65816

So 4.3.1 didn't add iMessage in the cloud for the Watch right? So I still have to delete messages one by one on my watch, it won't get deleted if I delete them on my iPhone?

25. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Nope! But let’s wait and see if we hear anything regarding this on Monday. Here’s hoping!