MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 7.6, the sixth major update to the watchOS 7 operating system that was released in September 2020. watchOS 7.6 comes two months after the release of watchOS 7.5.

7.6-on-Apple-Watch-feature-2.jpg

‌‌The watchOS 7.6 update‌‌ can be downloaded for free through the dedicated Apple Watch app on the ‌iPhone‌ by going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌.

According to Apple's release notes, the watchOS 7.6 update brings support for the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications to 30 additional regions.

No other new features were discovered during the beta testing process, and it's likely that watchOS 7.6 will be one of the final updates to the watchOS 7 operating system as Apple works to transition to watchOS 8.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 7.6, Bringing ECG and Irregular Heart Rhythm Notifications to 30 New Regions

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Does the update only bring "support for the ECG" in some contries.. No other news ? Bugfixes? Not worth the time to upgrade then
According to their security page, it includes security fixes. So it’s probably safe to classify this as a critical update as you don’t want security holes on a heath device.

Details will be released shortly: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Reactions: SantaFeNM
Comment

valynor

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Just updated my S6 to 7.6 and "Unlock with iPhone" doesn't work anymore. Tried rebooting and switching the feature off/on again, no change. Always worked before the update, now I have to manually unlock on the watch. WTF Apple, do you not even thoroughly test such simple things? :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: Khedron
Comment

Octavius8

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2016
The update bricked my S6 with GPS!. The touch screen does not respond and since my watch has a password I cant use it!. The crown and button still work. A power cycle did not help!. Be aware...
3 hard resets and did not work, but tapping on the "i" in "My watch" section for some reason made the screen responsive again. Go figure... Happy camper now. :)

Last edited:
Comment

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Having battery issues since updating. Won’t charge past 95%
Are you using an Apple charging puck? I noted I've been having trouble with two third party chargers. So I have went back to the Apple cable/puck. Note this was before the update today.

Comment

abhibeckert

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Cairns, Australia
The update bricked my S6 with GPS!. The touch screen does not respond and since my watch has a password I cant use it!. The crown and button still work. A power cycle did not help!. Be aware...
You should be able to use your phone to unlock the watch.

If that doesn't help, use the watch app on your phone to make sure the watch is backed up, then factory reset and restore the backup.

Reactions: Octavius8
Comment

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
Norway
Just updated my S6 to 7.6 and "Unlock with iPhone" doesn't work anymore. Tried rebooting and switching the feature off/on again, no change. Always worked before the update, now I have to manually unlock on the watch. WTF Apple, do you not even thoroughly test such simple things? :-(
I had to reactivate 'unlock with iPhone' in the Watch app on the iPhone. Toggle off and on.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

valynor

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I had to reactivate 'unlock with iPhone' in the Watch app on the iPhone. Toggle off and on.
I did that 2 times so far ... let me try again.

Edit: Nope. Toggled off an on again, confirmed code on the watch. Doesn't unlock with iPhone after taking it off and putting it on again.
Edit 2: Tried switching to "simple passcode" and turning passcode off completely and setting it up again. Still doesn't work via "unlock with iPhone".

Last edited:
Comment

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
Norway
I did that 2 times so far ... let me try again.

Edit: Nope. Toggled off an on again, confirmed code on the watch. Doesn't unlock with iPhone after taking it off and putting it on again.
Edit 2: Tried switching to "simple passcode" and turning passcode off completely and setting it up again. Still doesn't work via "unlock with iPhone".
I must confess that the behavior associated with unlocking the Watch with the iPhone is inconsistent. Works sometimes, in other cases not. Probably a bug.

Comment

Octavius8

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2016
When I saw 30 new counties I immediately thought that had to include Mexico. Disappointed it's still not available here.
Exactly... the list of countries where ECG is supported is huge, Mexico is one of the notable exceptions. In Apple website apparently Apple Pay is also NOT officially supported. VERY dissapointed, it was one of the reasons I bought this S6 last year.
We need a "I will use ECG under my responsibility" disclaimer to circumvent the beaurocratic process.

Comment

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I must confess that the behavior associated with unlocking the Watch with the iPhone is inconsistent. Works sometimes, in other cases not. Probably a bug.
I’ve been running the RCs since last week. They’ve changed the unlocking behavior. You used to be able to just unlock your phone with FaceID without any additional action, but now you have to swipe out of the Lock Screen and then it goes through. You’ll see a notification at the top of the phone showing it is unlocking the watch.

Comment

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
They should add, Asystole detect and have it automatically call your funeral home and schedule a pickup. That way family members dont have to walk in and get traumatized.

So instead the grandkids etc.. would just get a text to go visit the funeral home, and would you like to order some flowers, 10% discount but only before you drive off.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.