Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 9.5.2, a minor bug fix update for the Apple Watch. watchOS 9.5.1 is a free software update that comes three weeks after the launch of watchOS 9.5.1, another bug fix update.

watchOS-9-header.jpg

watchOS 9.5.2 can be downloaded for free through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone by opening it up and going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌.

According to Apple's release notes for the update, it includes important security fixes and it is recommended that all users download the software. Apple has also released watchOS 8.8.1 for those unable to upgrade to watchOS 9.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 9.5.2 With Security Fixes

Last edited:

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
Once i allowed my watch to receive the beta update ( by selecting General->Software Update), right now i cannot unselect it. It asked to update the phone to ios17 beta, and if i cancel it, it returned back to software update, there is no option to unselect beta update. As a result i cannot update to 9.5.2

Reactions: puffnit

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I updated to iOS 16.6 Beta on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. When I try to update my Series 7, I get a message to update my iPhone first. When I try to update directly from my watch it says unable to check for update. I restarted my iPhone and watch and get the same message on iPhone and the same message on watch. Restarted watch again, tried to update through watch and it just keeps checking for update and hangs there.

Attachments

• incoming-585EBF3F-3473-496B-8512-F8BC67715019.PNG
    incoming-585EBF3F-3473-496B-8512-F8BC67715019.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_34CBCAC46969-1.jpeg
    IMG_34CBCAC46969-1.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 38
  • incoming-43D9ACB5-AEB1-466B-B336-9ECCDE9360A1.PNG
    incoming-43D9ACB5-AEB1-466B-B336-9ECCDE9360A1.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Valen1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018

Apple today released watchOS 9.5.2, a minor bug fix update for the Apple Watch. watchOS 9.5.1 is a free software update that comes three weeks after the launch of watchOS 9.5.1, another bug fix update.

watchOS-9-header.jpg

watchOS 9.5.2 can be downloaded for free through the Apple Watch app on the iPhone by opening it up and going to General > Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery, it needs to be placed on a charger, and it needs to be in range of the ‌‌‌‌‌‌iPhone‌‌‌‌‌‌.

According to Apple's release notes for the update, it includes important security fixes and it is recommended that all users download the software. Apple has also released watchOS 8.8.1 for those unable to upgrade to watchOS 9.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 9.5.2 With Security Fixes
IS anyone else having an issue updating a Series 6 to 9.5.2? I've checked storage on both the iPhone and Watch with 50% available on each. I've rebooted and keep getting the "Software Update Failed - An Error occurred downloading the latest version of watchOS on your Apple Watch." I've tried five times so far and yes, both are plugged in for charging and the battery is now at 100% on the Watch.

Reactions: Jimmie Geddes

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I'm having a similar issue on my series 7 running watchOS 9.5.1. Trying to update via iPhone I get a message to update iPhone in order to install (I'm running iOS 16.6). Trying to update from the watch, it says unable to check for update. iPhone battery is 90%, watch is 85%. Multiple reboots of iPhone and watch and still get the same messages.

puffnit

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Once i allowed my watch to receive the beta update ( by selecting General->Software Update), right now i cannot unselect it. It asked to update the phone to ios17 beta, and if i cancel it, it returned back to software update, there is no option to unselect beta update. As a result i cannot update to 9.5.2
Same here :/

welshman75

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I updated to iOS 16.6 Beta on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. When I try to update my Series 7, I get a message to update my iPhone first. When I try to update directly from my watch it says unable to check for update. I restarted my iPhone and watch and get the same message on iPhone and the same message on watch. Restarted watch again, tried to update through watch and it just keeps checking for update and hangs there.
same on my series 7 :-(

Reactions: Jimmie Geddes

SantaFeNM

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
Here's a weird one. I updated my Series 7 last evening, turned on the usual Theater Mode & Sleep monitoring near the top of Control Center on the watch, with the watch near or at 100% battery. Woke up this morning to find my watch so discharged that it would only show the time in the corner, with a red lightning bolt.

I put the watch on the fast charger this morning and once it got above 20% battery, I checked the watch. Sleep and Theater modes were still on, but the Walkie Talkie feature was showing as being on as well. That is in my watch's Control Center, but way down at the bottom (through scrolling), as I've rarely used it.

I have no idea how it became activated, or if was somehow trigged to be on from the OS update, which would be really weird. Anyhow, just putting this out there, in case anyone else experiences similar behavior.

welshman75

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
anyone find out a way around this - same for me, quite odd - never had this before

Valen1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
anyone find out a way around this - same for me, quite odd - never had this before
two things I did unfortunately at the same time, so I don't know which worked but I used a different charger and deleted some apps from the Watch. Another member of the family used the original charged for their Series 4 and it worked for them without issue.

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
We'll have to wait for v9.6, if we are lucky; otherwise I'm afraid all internal efforts atm are on v10.0

Baselrunner

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2023
Ok. I resolved the issue where the 9.5.2 update wouldn’t load
You need to impair you watch and pair it again, then you’re able to update your Watch!
Worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.