Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released Wireless Keyboard Update 2.0, weighing in at 10.95 MB. The update description page provides scant information beyond compatibility with "special features" of the new wireless keyboard released alongside new iMacs last month.
Install this software to take advantage of your 2009 aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard's special features.
The update requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases Wireless Keyboard Update 2.0

pesawyer

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Why wouldn't this have been included in the 6.2 update?

Simply read the update note and you will see that it is.:eek:

Note: For Mac OS X 10.6 users, the 2009 Aluminum Wireless Keyboard is included in the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update.

Comment

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London

Note: For Mac OS X 10.6 users, the 2009 Aluminum Wireless Keyboard is included in the Mac OS X 10.6.2 update.

Yeah I missed that the first time around, just didn't get time to edit the msg before 10.6.2 restarted my machine!

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Which are what exactly?

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
What special features are on the new keyboard which are not on the old one?

Comment

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Clearly they've done something special to make it run on two batteries instead of three :). The old one doesn't do the keyboard backlight adjust keys does it? Only other thing I can think of.

Comment

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Clearly they've done something special to make it run on two batteries instead of three :). The old one doesn't do the keyboard backlight adjust keys does it? Only other thing I can think of.

It does

Comment

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I read here (on MR) that the new keyboards move the BT transmitter to the "center" of the back of the wireless KB, in addition to the 2 batteries (down from 3). Other than that, they appear to be exactly the same.

Ain't one of them new hover keyboards, are they?

Yeah i'm confused too... theres nothing different apart from the batteries it takes?

Comment

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
If I remember correctly (god forbid I google to check), the new keyboard also shuts off when not in use and almost instantly turns on when you begin typing.

The charger for my rechargeable batteries can have only 2 batteries at a time. It's really annoying. Wish there was at least 1 more feature so I can try to justify getting a new one. (such as, I don't know, a numeric keypad? but then I'll need to justify my USB keyboard)

Comment

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If I remember correctly (god forbid I google to check), the new keyboard also shuts off when not in use and almost instantly turns on when you begin typing.

The charger for my rechargeable batteries can have only 2 batteries at a time. It's really annoying. Wish there was at least 1 more feature so I can try to justify getting a new one. (such as, I don't know, a numeric keypad? but then I'll need to justify my USB keyboard)

Does the previous keyboard do that? If not, the auto off/on sounds like the best explanation to me.

Comment

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I have the 3 battery BT keyboard, no update.

Interested in seeing what these "special" features are. If it's auto shutoff, I don't really care. My batteries are at 70% after 3.5 months which is fine with me.

Comment

Feek

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I just wish there was a wireless BT keyboard with numeric keypad, I'd buy one of those straight away. I really like the idea of a good wireless keyboard but I use the keypad too much to be without it.

Comment

c104

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
How about making this keyboard work with the iPhone....
C'mon Apple!

Comment

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
i'm still waiting for my keyboard to get delivered. oddly enough, tracking says it should get here before my magic mouse! weird.

Comment

Jonnyapplenuts

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
How about keypad, black keys and backlighting?

Is backlighting that hard to give us. Apple is so stubborn about the damn keypad, coders cannot use arrow key crammed into a 1 inch area of the keyboard.

Apple is like a dating a really hot chick with attitude. You don't want to dump her because she looks so good but no matter what you ask of her to make her easier to deal with she just refuses. Won't even tell you why she thinks she is right or why it has to be her way, just stands there with a smoken hot ass and sweater meat to die for....ok honey well do it your way.

Comment

MvdM

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005

I am using Mac OS X 10.6, so when I update to Mac OS X 10.6.2 I get a free 2009 Aluminum Wireless Keyboard?

Comment

vidster

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
Unleash 3rd Party Developers

Is backlighting that hard... Apple is like dating a really hot chick with attitude.

:) LOL. As noted, Apple has product gaps like an extended (keypad) keyboard, keyboard 4 iPhone, batteries recharged IN PLACE (via European std (cellphone) USB charging cable), headless Mac, etc. Creative and thoughtfully constrained licensing of 3rd parties could fill many of these voids to the benefit of consumers AND Apple, w/o cannibalizing Apple products.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.