Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Why not just /Applications/Developer folder?

The real question I have here is how / where to install the additional downloads? I've downloaded them all fine and ended up just creating a symlink `ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer /` and then `ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications /Developer/` to keep things back to some semblance of how they used to be so as to be able to access and find them easily... But seriously, it's pretty crazy to drop those all into /Applications if you've got a lot of other apps and you simply want to know where your development apps all live. I wonder if there are any ramifications of Xcode and all sub apps living in a /Applications/Developer folder?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
That is the problem. The other tools downloads (graphics, IO, audio, dashcode, auxiliary and accessibility) are just apps inside the DMG and I have no idea where one is supposed to place them.

They appear to be all self contained apps, so looks like you can put them anywhere.

But I agree, it is a bit odd for Apple to just give you a dmg with apps. They should at least give a read me saying you can put them anywhere.

monamimani

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2012
XCode 4.4 will be the big jump from Clang 3.0 -> Clang 3.1 where C++11 is fully implemented and all the Macroscalar patented hints are implemented within libc++ [a drop in replacement to libstdc++ from GNU].

http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

Tons of info over at LLVM/Clang:

http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2011-11/

Release notes for 3.1 are not any where close to current:

http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

But it's safe to say XCode 4.4 will be a big hit for the Tools and maturity of LLVM/Clang.

Clang 3.1 also ends cuts off backward compatibility of bitcodes at 3.0 and forward.

Really all of c++11? From the clang status page alot still have to be done, especially for all the concurency lib. I wouldn't expect llvm 3.1 to come out before fall then. Am-I wrong? Do you know a target release date for llvm 3.1 the llvm page just state TBD.

A new developper preview of xcode, xcode 4.4 developper preview came out. What are the new c++11 feature implemented in it? The release note doesn't say anything.

thanks

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Things of note :

- It seems Apple has reinstated downloads for Free ADC registered members (no need to pay 99$) so you don't need to actually go the Mac App Store route :

Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 9.17.38 PM.png

- It also seems Apple lets you downloader older versions, just in case you don't like how XCode 4.3 works :

Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 9.18.03 PM.png

- Finally, it seems to me one could download the command-line tools seperately from XCode, saving a lot of diskspace if all you need is a compiler, make and a linker for stuff like Macports or simple autoconf based projects, using something like VIM as an editor :

Screen Shot 2012-02-18 at 9.18.17 PM.png

These are all little things that are quite an improvement and frankly, I applaud Apple for doing this. I had criticized them in the past over these few points.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
It seems Apple has reinstated downloads for Free ADC registered members (no need to pay 99$) so you don't need to actually go the Mac App Store route

It was always that way. The only difference is, the availability of the direct download usually followed the app store version by about two to three weeks. Now, it's simultaneous. People just weren't paying attention.

It also seems Apple lets you download older versions, just in case you don't like how XCode 4.3 works.

Once again, older versions of Xcode and other components have always been available. The App Store was a marketing sleight of hand that had folks distracted for awhile, so they didn't notice that nothing had really changed.

Finally, it seems to me one could download the command-line tools seperately from XCode, saving a lot of diskspace if all you need is a compiler, make and a linker for stuff like Macports or simple autoconf based projects, using something like VIM as an editor.

Actually, you still need to download at least Xcode itself in addition to the command-line tools in order for package managers to work properly. The other components however, are no longer needed.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It was always that way. The only difference is, the availability of the direct download usually followed the app store version by about two to three weeks. Now, it's simultaneous. People just weren't paying attention.

Followed it quite closely following the Lion release and everytime I would click the link to download XCode 4 for Lion, it would redirect me to the App Store before today. After 2 months, I caved and finally upgraded my 3.2.6 version from the App Store.

Actually, you still need to download at least Xcode itself in addition to the command-line tools in order for package managers to work properly. The other components however, are no longer needed.

The site lets me just download the command line tools. Now since I have Xcode, I can't actually try it out to see if one can build Macports, but I also don't really see what autoconf packages require Xcode for. I don't know where you were going in the ADC to get a direct download, but I know 99$/year paid developers had such a link, us free acount cheapos didn't.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
I'm about to install Xcode 4.3 and have one question. I'm one of those people who likes to keep backups of all installer packages, so in case I need to reinstall something I don't need to redownload it again. Since Xcode 4.3 now needs to be installed from the Mac App Store, is there any way for me to save the installer package for it?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm about to install Xcode 4.3 and have one question. I'm one of those people who likes to keep backups of all installer packages, so in case I need to reinstall something I don't need to redownload it again. Since Xcode 4.3 now needs to be installed from the Mac App Store, is there any way for me to save the installer package for it?

I think you're misreading this news if anything. It's not that Xcode 4.3 now needs to be installed from the Mac App Store (it's been this way since Xcode 4 shipped), it's that it is now a single .app bundle instead of an installer package.

That alone should tell you how to "back it up". The same you would for any other .app bundle in your /Applications folder.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Exactly those links that always redirected me to the App Store prior to this release. Are you sure you're not a paid 99$ Developer? Those accounts got to download it directly from there.

Nope, not a paid developer and was never redirected to the app store. They were always direct links. The app store has nothing to do with that section of downloads, at least from what I've seen.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you're in Canada and I'm in the U.S., who knows.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I left Xcode 4.2 where it was and installed 4.3 from the AppStore, once I launched the AppStore version I got this screen to help with the migration...

I deleted the previous versions first and got a similar window prompting me to install other necessary components, both are very helpful in the migration process ...

gajdar

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
So where is Rez (and the rest of Tools)?

I installed 4.3 and the command line apps on my Lion machine and then tried to compile. Get a message:
/Developer-3.2.6/Tools/Rez: No such file or directory
Which is true, Tools doesn't exist. I looked over on my Snow Leopard machine and it's there. I searched my Lion disk and Rez is not there, so the installer didn't just put it someplace else. I don't find it mentioned on the "Downloads for Apple Developers". I could just copy it off my Snow Leopard machine but that seems a bit kudgy. Seems like Apple would give us C++ developers access to the tools Makefile needs. What's cleverness am I missing?

gajdar

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Found Rez

Solved it myself, but I don't understand why Apple made things so difficult. Rez is there in the usr/bin directory. What is missing is Apple no longer downloads the Tools directory into Developer-3.2.6 so all the links are missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.