Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a number of updates for Xsan, the company's enterprise-class storage area network (SAN) solution. Xsan 2.2 brings support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, as well as a number of other changes.

- Xsan 2.2 Admin Update for 10.6 (35 MB)
The 2.2 update is recommended for all systems running Xsan 2. This update includes general administration fixes for remotely administering, configuring and maintaining Xsan deployments, and includes specific fixes for:

- using SAN Setup Assistant to configure volumes, LUNs and affinities
- changing a computer between client and metadata controller roles
- listing computers connected to the SAN
- visually displaying when LUNs have been truncated

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3172
- Xsan 2.2 FileSystem Update for 10.6 (39 MB)
The Xsan 2.2 FileSystem update is recommended for all systems running Xsan 2. This update includes general file system fixes, as well as specific fixes for:

- 64-bit support on Snow Leopard versions of Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server
- using native extended attributes
- file system performance and reliability
- volume reliability during metadata controller failover scenarios

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3172
- Xsan 2.2 Admin Update for 10.5 (34 MB)
- Xsan 2.2 FileSystem Update for 10.5 (35 MB)
- Xsan 2.2 Install Disc (246 MB)
- Xsan Uninstaller (544 KB)

Article Link: Apple Releases Xsan 2.2 Updates

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
volume reliability during metadata controller failover scenarios
I actually did laugh out loud reading this. Xsan needs waaay more hands on maintenance than it should, considering the investment made. Luckily, I've not had to deal with ours lately. :)

Man, I'd love to get my hands on some Xsan goodness. If only it didn't cost $999.

And if it didn't cost thousands more to build a proper Xsan setup and license and maintain it. ;)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
And if it didn't cost thousands more to build a proper Xsan setup and license and maintain it. ;)

Fo' reals. One aspect of my job as Sales Manager for an Apple VAR is selling Xsans, and it is a LOT more than the $999 price tag of a single copy of the software:

• At least two, often three dedicated servers (metadata, Open Directory, Failover), each with their own Xsan license

• Fibre channel and Gigabit ethernet switches ($5000+, often in the tens of thousands)

• Storage -- kind of useless without that! ~$15K for one Promise RAID, most Xsans are made up of at least three of those (well, two E-Class and one J-Class would be typical as a starting point)

• Host Bus Adapters, optical transceiver modules, fiber optic and ethernet cabling -- figure $800+ per client server/workstation

• Consulting -- not typically the kind of thing you're going to put together yourself, successfully, unless you are already a high-level Mac admin -- figure another $7500 to $15K or so

Yeah... Most Apple users don't have any use for Xsan, and the ones that do often misunderstand the costs associated with the solution. Keep in mind, Xsan is very much one of the CHEAPER file-locked SAN systems out there (a file-locked Storage Area Network is one in which multiple clients can have simultaneous read-write access over the entire volume).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Fo' reals. One aspect of my job as Sales Manager for an Apple VAR is selling Xsans, and it is a LOT more than the $999 price tag of a single copy of the software:

• At least two, often three dedicated servers (metadata, Open Directory, Failover), each with their own Xsan license

• Fibre channel and Gigabit ethernet switches ($5000+, often in the tens of thousands)

• Storage -- kind of useless without that! ~$15K for one Promise RAID, most Xsans are made up of at least three of those (well, two E-Class and one J-Class would be typical as a starting point)

• Host Bus Adapters, optical transceiver modules, fiber optic and ethernet cabling -- figure $800+ per client server/workstation

• Consulting -- not typically the kind of thing you're going to put together yourself, successfully, unless you are already a high-level Mac admin -- figure another $7500 to $15K or so

Yeah... Most Apple users don't have any use for Xsan, and the ones that do often misunderstand the costs associated with the solution. Keep in mind, Xsan is very much one of the CHEAPER file-locked SAN systems out there (a file-locked Storage Area Network is one in which multiple clients can have simultaneous read-write access over the entire volume).

wow. hey thanks for that post. there are a lot of us who doesn't know what all goes into a SAN system.

HFS-

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Most Apple users don't have any use for Xsan, and the ones that do often misunderstand the costs associated with the solution.

Nicky G, what about other licenses? Are there extra costs involved with adding more clients to the Xsan? Additionally, how does this relate to the StorNext client licenses that can be purchased? I read this on Peachpit and wondered how this added to other 'unknown' costs.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
What is it

Someone gave me a box of unopened, shrinkwrapped Xsan 2.2......I havent opened it for i cant figure out really what it is for?

I am just a lone MacBook Pro user at home.
Why would i need this?
Will I ever be able to use it?
Or do I even want to?

I have read the posts above and understand is is some sort of SAN file system
but still not REALLY clear on its need

I am assuming this is for a film studio, am I correct?

I guess that is all I trying to figure out, whether it would only be used by a film studio or someone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.