Apple Releasing watchOS 6 for Series 3 and Later Sept. 19, Delayed for Older Apple Watches

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple today announced that it will be releasing watchOS 6 on Thursday, September 19 for the Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 models.

watchOS 6 will not be immediately available on Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models, with Apple instead delaying the release until "later this fall."

It is not clear why older Apple Watch models won't be getting the update at launch.

September 19 is just one day before new Apple Watch Series 5 models are expected to begin shipping out. Apple Watch Series 5 pre-orders are available starting today on Apple.com.

Article Link: Apple Releasing watchOS 6 for Series 3 and Later Sept. 19, Delayed for Older Apple Watches

Reactions: Frosties

Wig321

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Probably delaying it for performance reasons or something similar.

Out of interest, did the Series 5 not tempt you to upgrade? Even the series 4 is a massive jump over the 2.
For what I use it for the series 2 is still working great. I’m waiting to upgrade when the battery life is significantly extended. I thought today might have been the day!

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Probably delaying it for performance reasons or something similar.

Out of interest, did the Series 5 not tempt you to upgrade? Even the series 4 is a massive jump over the 2.
Have the say I was stunned they didn't rev the hardware on the Series 5. Have a 3 and was slammed dunk for a update, but with Series 4 internals and a for sure hardware update with Series 6, now I'll have to think about it. I'm okay with raising my 3 to have the display come on (not a draw for me).

Reactions: Peter K.

DaveMcM76

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
UK
The latest beta seems to be working absolutely fine on my series 2 but as I’ve just preordered a series 5 my main concern is now whether a watchOS 6 beta backup will restore ok on the watchOS 6 release version as it looks I won’t be able to update the series 2 before my 5 arrives.

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Blah blah blah
nice comment. Keep at it
[doublepost=1568144633][/doublepost]
Have the say I was stunned they didn't rev the hardware on the Series 5. Have a 3 and was slammed dunk for a update, but with Series 4 internals and a for sure hardware update with Series 6, now I'll have to think about it. I'm okay with raising my 3 to have the display come on (not a draw for me).
Wait one more year. I’m sure next years version will be a “full” upgrade.
Same with the iPhone btw

KillerScoregasm

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
Probably trying to find a way to throttle those older watches but in a way they don’t get caught.. jk. What I think they should do is offer a light software version for their older model. I don’t use half the features of my bloated watch software..

Reactions: Zxxv

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
This is a good thing since my Apple Watch Series 1 only gets just over 12 hours of battery life using the latest beta of watchOS 6.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
A shame that they didn't improve the performance on the Series 5 watch (claimed to be 2x faster than the Series 3, which was the same claim as the Series 4's chip). Thank goodness the Series 1 is still supported. Looks like I'll be upgrading my watch next year where it'll hopefully get a faster chip and (according to rumors I read somewhere) a new design.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
If beta is running fine on series 1 and 2, perhaps Apple is delaying OS on purpose. I'm sure there will be many people who will jump to at least series 3 or 4 just to have latest OS. Remember "later this fall" could mean end of November. As a recent example Apple said their credit card was coming out sometime this summer and it did not actually became available until the very end of August.

1984 Mac Guru

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
nyc
I need the update on my S1 for AppleCard to appear on the watch. Need two-factor for that. The only feature I care about right now.

DaveMcM76

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
UK
A shame that they didn't improve the performance on the Series 5 watch (claimed to be 2x faster than the Series 3, which was the same claim as the Series 4's chip).
I get the impression that most of the changes in the S5 vs S4 chipset are all about power efficiency rather than speed to support the always on display while retaining the same battery life.

JuanGuapo

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For me, I’m ambivalent about the release date so long as it is done right. If they want to take an extra few weeks to tweak/tune it for S1/S2 owners, I’m all for it.

Seeing as it was a gift, I won’t upgrade until my S2 dies completely.

Computers 4 U LLC

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
Kansas City
I know early on the betas were compatible with Series 1, not sure if they kept the compatibility or not, I feel like they said during the keynote that it would be available for Series 3 and forward but I am probably wrong on that.