Apple reminders app

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by BLOND37, Sep 23, 2012.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

not sure if this will be allowed or where i should have put this but what do we all think of the reminders app?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I love it and use it regularly. It's very nice having Siri integration with it.

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i generally like it.. tho i wish it showed the number of tasks in list in the main list (know what i mean)?

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoops meant MAIN list :/

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I see main now, but I swore it said mail. :) Anyhow, I still don't follow you. Do you mean if you have 3 reminders that you'd like the list to say 3 somewhere?

7. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it did say mail.. i went back and edited my question to say main :)
    hmmm so lets say you are in the app and at the part where U see all your lists.
    like:

reminders
    phone calls
    letters

well i would like it to say

remiders 3
    phone calls 3
    letters 1

cuz as it is now i have to go into each list to see if i have tasks.. i know i could prolly delete the list if i have no tasks but then i would have to recreate the list when i do..

not sure how to explain it better so if ya don't follow its ok haha :)

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Ahh, I understand now. If it helps, add a time for each one and you should get total number icon on the Reminders app so you can just glance at it and know how many are remaining.

9. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha good :) yea i guess that would be a work around.. i currently use wunderlist which has the feature i said and it syncs via cloud my MBP.. i guess if it aint broke don't fix but i wanna use all apple stuff :/

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I can understand that. I only use Reminders, but having a number isn't a deal breaker for me. I can understand why it would be a big deal to some though.

11. mplenhart macrumors newbie

Love the Reminders app. Super-simple, easy to use, and works with Siri.

Question - is it possible to set up a Reminders list that does NOT sync with iCloud? The wife and I like to use it for shopping lists and honey-dos, but I like to make work to dos and she doesn't want to get notifications for them.

I seem to remember when iOS 5 first came out, you had the option to make lists sync or not by moving them around. I can't figure out how to do that any more.

12. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i will say Reminders loads quicker and i like the look.. i guess i can always try it more and see..

----------

hmm i dont have Miss Siri yet.. still got a iPhone 4 :/ getting a 5 in Dec.. i dont think you can do that.. think its either all or nothing but dotn go by me haha

13. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you are both using the same Apple ID then the answer is no. You each need your own Apple ID for iCloud. When iOS 5 came out along with iCloud.com, you could share a Reminder List with another user (share it with their Apple ID).
    That is how I share a shopping list with my wife, and also have my own reminder lists that I don't share and are only visible to me.

HOWEVER, the latest version of the iCloud.com website no longer has the share function. A lot of people have been complaining on the Apple support forum about this. There is no share function in iOS 6. I'm hoping it is added back onto iCloud.com.

If that all sounds confusing or you need some help with moving from a shared Apple ID to separate Apple IDs, send me a Private Message.

14. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Yes, I do that exactly because we had the same issue.

I use Yahoo for my personal email, and after you set up your iPhone for mail, there is an option in Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Yahoo to switch on Yahoo reminders.

That creates a Yahoo reminders list in the Reminders App which is not synced with iCloud (it syncs with Yahoo instead). As a result, in the Reminders App I have a Yahoo list which stays only on my phone, and my iCloud shopping list which sync onto my wife's phone as well.

The above works with Yahoo but bizarrely doesn't with Gmail. My wife is on Gmail and there is no option on her phone to switch on Gmail reminders, so it must be email provider dependant.

If you're not on Yahoo, just create an account, use it for reminders only and it should work.

15. mplenhart macrumors newbie

Thanks, I did something very similar. I forgot that I already have a separate iCloud account that I use for my personal e-mail, so I just turned on reminders for that and use it for my own. Pretty simple solution, I just wasn't thinking.

Thanks again. :)