Apple Remote+Being in the applestore=too much fun

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by BrettFarve04, Feb 13, 2009.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

it took the apple store employees over 15 minuets to figure out why all the macs were flippin' out. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

3. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

haha nope...my friend and I both had remotes...and the store is pretty big...i'd be on one side...and he was on the other. They had no idea in the world.

4. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

What exactly were you doing? (so I know for the next time I go in :p)

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

All you have to do is take an Apple remote and go at it. I was in the family room with my mom and sister and meant to adjust the volume on my computer only, but ended up adjusting theirs too.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

HOHO totally doing this next time I go to the Apple store. :D

It's the remote that comes with the computer right?

7. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Actually it might not work. I thought of doing this a while back (I posted in the Apple store fun thread) but someone said that they lock the computers to not be able to react to IR remotes.

In Sys Prefs go to Security and you'll see an option to disable a remote IR receiver. Unfortunately all the Macs had these checked = no fun. :(

Funny that yours worked though, I'm sure it must've been hilarious. :D

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well it used to, sold as an accessory now. ;)

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Apple's trying to suck the fun out of the Mac experience... :D

Oh, I got one with my iMac...in September of last year.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Sounds exciting! We should try this with our iPod touch's and iPhones using the Remote app!

EDIT: So you just messed around with iTunes and change the volume? I'm not too sure what all the Apple Remote can do.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I think you have to set the iPhone/iPod Touches up with a certain computer, one at a time, right?

The Apple remote can control a bunch more than the volume, it can play/pause music, control sideshows and presentations, etc. And of course it can open up and control front row by pressing the menu button.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

OH ya! I forgot about front row.

And I also forgot that you do have to pair you device with the computer in iTunes using a confirmation code. There goes my plan. :eek:

EDIT: Didn't someone make an app for iPod touch / iPhone that will allow you to do everything thing the Apple Remote does and it will look like the Apple Remote on your screen?

13. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I believe if you hold down one of the buttons (either play or menu) it will put your computer to sleep. Which was going to be my plan until it failed completely.

Just imagine all of a sudden all the macs going to sleep, haha.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

HAHAHA. Every. Single. One!
    Although, that might cause Apple to loose potential buyers for that day.
    One time, I went around and put all the iPod classics and iPod nano's in diagnostic mode.

15. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Do Apple stores in your area have security guards? One of the ones near me (Northridge) has one of those mustacheiod aviator wearing guys who "keeps an eye on things." However another one near me (Topanga) has no security whatsoever. Hmmmm...

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Just an old man who stands in the corenr

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Ha nice idea. Yup, if you hold the play/pause button, the Mac goes to bed. :p

The Apple store I always go to doesn't have any security. The store is small and always crowded, so it wouldn't be of much use anyway.

18. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

here what I do when I go to the apple store. Get basically any phone with bluetooth (not the iPhone ironically). Connect it any mac and hit the radio with remote control, should get a message on the phone allowing the mac through. Once paired and connected, open up remote control on your phone and take up a tactical position behind an iPod. Now wait for someone to come to the mac and start moving the mouse everywhere with your phone, they have no idea. When the genius comes over, he will try to sought it, but the only real way is to switch off the mac at the wall, which doesn't look good for the apple image. Sorry guys, I am way too cool.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

haha, this does sound like fun. but i bet they turned this off at my local store

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Not %100 correct.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do it enough times and I can pretty much guarantee you that the next image that comes down for the retail machines will have the security feature set so that none of the machines will respond to remotes. :rolleyes:

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I agree, this is down right dumb. It makes Apple look really bad and bad for the customers. The other day some kids messed with our equipment took our plant off line (they thought it was funny). Now our customers are mad at us for being out and they don't know it's not our fault, but the nice part is the kids got caught and are in big trouble. People have no respect for others at all and it's sad.

24. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I think it was funny, other people telling you to grow up and stuff, well, just let them bicker.

Your shenanigans remind me of this guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_0bDzxGIA

He goes around Amsterdam during World Cup while the Netherlands is playing, armed with a universal remote he turns of the TVs in bars and restaurants. Hilarious!