Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hello,

I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I'd like a second opinion. When front row comes out for computers other than the iMac (I refuse to believe it won't; it doesn't make any sense), will it be possible to control it without the use of an iSight camera? I know my computer doesn't have an IR receiver, but the new iPod dock most certainly does. Perhaps it may be able to function as one for a mac when an iPod isn't connected? I'd really like to know more about this, as my remote and dock will be coming soon. If that extra functionality is built-in, I'm quite pleased.

Sorry if this has been talked about before. I've been looking for a thread to discuss this in for a while, but I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks!

-flinch13

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I assume they will make a bluetooth remote if they will bring it to other computers.

tom_s

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
I don't know what Apple is going to do (IR-dongle? probably not), but you can set keys to use FrontRow. This way almost every 3rd-party remote (e.g. Keyspan or even your BT cellphone) can be used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.