Apple Remote Desktop 3.4 issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quinton, Dec 12, 2011.

  1. Quinton macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #1
    Hi there,

    In Apple Remote Desktop 3.4 server I added a client computer by doing a scan by IP. Once the computer was added to a group I was able to take remote control, however after a few minutes I noticed the ARD console was having issues authenticating to it (Even though I authenticated properly to get the machine in ard). The ARD console was reporting that the computer was offline, but I was still able to observe and take control of the machine.

    I then noticed that the MAC address was the incorrect address. It was displaying another computer mac address that is on campus.

    My question: is ARD getting the Ethernet ID/MAC address from DHCP? WINS? DNS? Open Directory? LDAP? or from the client it's self? or do I have corruption in my ARD database?

    I am seeing this on a hand full of computers around campus (out of 500+ computers)

    (If I remove the client - the same thing occurs)
     
  2. Quinton thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    #2
    I've just discovered this morning that the issue appears to be with Apple remote desktop.

    The issue came up again this morning...I ended up shutdown ARD completely then loaded it back up, and guess what! The MAC address was showing up properly. I've discovered this is working for SOME of my issues. For the ones that weren't displaying properly I deleted the computer account out of ARD and manually added the account though a scanner import via single network address. The scanner finds the computer and it displays the correct Ethernet ID.

    So I’m guessing there is a bug with ARD and its mixing up/displaying the wrong Ethernet ID of some machines....

    Q
     
  3. napzero macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago
    #3
    I had a similar issue. One station in my ARD list just stopped working with ARD. I tried re-adding it, but it didn't get the MAC address (00:00:00:00:00:00).

    Eventually I fixed it by adding it manually by IP and skipping the verification. Then when I remoted in, the station was asking to allow ARD through the firewall! Not sure how relevant this is but I'm glad I resolved it (though by accident).
     

Share This Page