Apple Remote Desktop CD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cozzmokramer, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cozzmokramer macrumors newbie

This is gonna sound crazy, but last weekend I found a Apple Remote Desktop 3 (still in shrink wrap) in a parking lot. I don't really know anything about it. I have not opened it. It is Apple Part #: MC172Z/A, Version 3.3. It has a "unlimited managed systems" sticker on the front. Is this the complete software, or is there more that goes with it? I have done some research and just got more confused about 'administrator and client' software. Just wondering what I have here without opening it. Thanks for any help.

2. cozzmokramer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just bumping... hoping for some help. Thanks again.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that will be the Apple Remote Desktop software that allows you to remote into any computer that has the priveledges enabled. all macs come with the ability to remote share the screen - using "Screen Sharing", but this is more advanced and allows you to install applications/OS etc over the network.

the disc you have will let you install it on any computers you want. you're pretty lucky to find it!! have fun :D

4. cozzmokramer thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are saying I can set up administrator rights with it?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not exactly sure what you mean by administrator rights - can you explain a bit more?

6. cozzmokramer thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know either i guess, sorry. I tried to do some research by googling the software. Much of it speaks about administrator and client rights which confused me. I just wanted to know if this was the complete software package (one cd) or if what I found was part of a bigger package of software. I don't really know how I would use it and was considering selling it on ebay or something. But didn't want to sell something unless I knew what it was.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ah right im with you. its generally used for viewing other peoples computers using a process similar to VNC - but it also has the ability to administer computers for installing software/OSs etc as i said before. there are other abilities such as opening applications from remote locations, sending messages to the client computers, checking the RAM usage/status of each machine and much much more. i guess thats what they mean my Administering the computers.

the CD that you have WILL do all of the above, you will need no other additional software to perform these actions. :)