Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hey everyone. I have our 3 macs in our house upgraded to Lion now. On two of them, the iMac and Mac Air, I have ARD installed and up to date with version 3.5.1.

I am able to use ARD to observe and control my wife's macbook pro from both machine. I can control the Mac air from the iMac but cannot control or observe the iMac from the Mac Air.

Remote sharing/login is set up correctly on all the machines. I can see the iMac in ARD, and even see that it is on and idle, etc. When I try to connect and key in the correct username and password however - I get connection failed. I changed/updated the password on the iMac just in case and tried again - no dice.

Any ideas? This is just over local network. Posted in this forum because everything worked fine prior to the Lion installs.

pickerin

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
Re: Apple Remote Desktop Issue?

I have this exact same problem on a Mac mini.
Upgraded it to Lion, see it in the Console of ARD, can send Unix commands to it, but whenever I try to Control I just get "Connection failed".

The fact that I can send Unix commands to it (just try sending "ls") means I'm authorized to connect and the username and password are correct. However, Controlling won't work.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Something weird is going on. I don't have ARD, only whatever is installed with the OS as part of it, but I am now seeing in Software Update "Apple Remote Desktop Admin Update" version 2.2. According to the 'Net 2.2 was released in 2005, and it fails to install when it tries ... and I haven't seen any other mention of this around the place, which tends to really worry me these days - something that is not being talked about online? OMG :eek:.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
I have this exact same problem on a Mac mini.
Upgraded it to Lion, see it in the Console of ARD, can send Unix commands to it, but whenever I try to Control I just get "Connection failed".

The fact that I can send Unix commands to it (just try sending "ls") means I'm authorized to connect and the username and password are correct. However, Controlling won't work.

Interesting. I tested this today and yes, I can send unix commands fine.

So it isn't entirely a network issue. I can air drop between them and backdoor into them and share screens between the two, file transfer, etc.

michelcl

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Same thing here from a Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Remote Desktop 3.5.1 installed trying to access a Mac with OSX 10.7 Lion.

The other way, from Lion to snow leopard with Remote Desktop 3.5.1 installed on both, no problem.

Need help

pickerin

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
Interesting. I tested this today and yes, I can send unix commands fine.

So it isn't entirely a network issue. I can air drop between them and backdoor into them and share screens between the two, file transfer, etc.

I can SSH in and send UNIX commands via ARD. I cannot Control or "Share Screen" using either ARD or Back to my Mac (which worked fine pre-Lion)

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Can't control or observe my MBP with my MBA, but can observe(not control) with my MBP.

:(

Last edited:

pickerin

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2007
Re: Apple Remote Desktop Issue under Lion

I fixed my issue.

I unchecked and re-checked Remote Management. However, I don't believe that fixed the issue.

I also changed from authenticating using the short name, to using the full User Name.

However, I then went back and changed it back to the short name and now it works. Perhaps it was the unchecking and rechecking of Remote Management.

michelcl

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I can confirm that uncheck and re-check Remote Management in the sharing preferences fixed the issue.

Thanks to pickerin :)

Whopper Jr.

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Un-check/Re-check Remote Management

I can also confirm that this works.
Perhaps by installing Lion, previous changes to System Preferences are not recognized?

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Something weird is going on. I don't have ARD, only whatever is installed with the OS as part of it, but I am now seeing in Software Update "Apple Remote Desktop Admin Update" version 2.2. According to the 'Net 2.2 was released in 2005, and it fails to install when it tries ... and I haven't seen any other mention of this around the place, which tends to really worry me these days - something that is not being talked about online? OMG :eek:.

I have the same issue exactly on my new MacBook Air. Any idea what's going on and how to fix this?

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Yay, company :). For now I have just ignored the update. There's still no sign of it happening elsewhere on the Internet.

Any software we have in common maybe causing this issue?

Last things I installed are:

Canon 560 printer drivers
SplashID
Boom

UPDATE: I tired uninstalling SplashID and Boom and the related cruft but it didn't help the problem. Haven't done anything with the printer but it seems that these apps aren't likely to be the problem. Apple tech support levels 1 and 2, which I spoke with today, had no solution...only to reinstall the OS.

So we'll keep searching...

Last edited:

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
This morning ... it is gone! SU no longer has any ignored updates.

I had done a little messing around with my MS Office install, trying to delete things associated with Outlook only, which I am not using. Seems I managed to break file associations and the identity database, lol, love it :).

I also moved Microsoft Remote Desktop out of /Applications and into the Office folder. And guess what? Moving it back to /Applications shows up the rogue update again! Microsoft Remote Desktop is version 2.1.1, and the update wants to put version 2.2 - coincidence? What do you reckon you have the same situation Mr T :D?

Just in case, I had also renamed it to just Remote Desktop, so that the name wouldn't truncate in Launchpad.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
This morning ... it is gone! SU no longer has any ignored updates.

I had done a little messing around with my MS Office install, trying to delete things associated with Outlook only, which I am not using. Seems I managed to break file associations and the identity database, lol, love it :).

I also moved Microsoft Remote Desktop out of /Applications and into the Office folder. And guess what? Moving it back to /Applications shows up the rogue update again! Microsoft Remote Desktop is version 2.1.1, and the update wants to put version 2.2 - coincidence? What do you reckon you have the same situation Mr T :D?

Just in case, I had also renamed it to just Remote Desktop, so that the name wouldn't truncate in Launchpad.

WOOOHOOOO!!!

That did it! I too had Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Office 2011 install, renamed by me to Remote Desktop, in my applications folder. I renamed it MS Remote Desktop and moved it to my Office 2011 subfolder and the software update is gone...problem resolved!

Needless to say, if I ever make it to New Zealand, the drinks are on me my friend. Thanks for passing this solution along...it makes my day.

--Rob

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
LOL sounds good :D!

Was your reason for renaming the same as mine? Being pedantic and wanting it to not truncate in Launchpad?

What with Mac users being what they are, kind of surprising we're the only two that had done such! Cheers.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Yep, same with me. I didn't like it truncated and thought it should have been called Remote Desktop anyway. Who knew it would cause such a thing. I'm still stoked this is fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.