Apple Remote Desktop Question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdl8422, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a 24" iMac running Leopard. I want to be able to login and retrieve a file remotely. I know that Apple remote desktop will work, but I do not want to spend over 300$. I just can not see what the program changes that my computer cant already do. Any ideas?

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

This one is pretty simple. You're right not to buy Apple Remote Desktop for this - ARD is designed more for remote machine maintenance, control, and monitoring.

File sharing seems a bit more flakey on Leopard than it did on Tiger, but try this out. For the machine you want to get files from, make sure that you've enabled "File Sharing" from the Preferences > Sharing area (in Tiger this was "Personal File Sharing"). By default, Leopard only has your account's public folder shared. Using the + button beneath the "Shared Folders" window, add the directory(ies) that you'd like to be able to access. You could theoretically add your entire home directory for convenience, but for security you should only add the folders that you'll be accessing.

Next, click on the Options button in the lower right. Since you're going from one Mac to another, use sharing with AFP. If you want to be able to use FTP software, enable FTP sharing. If you want to share with Windows systems, enable SMB. AFP is probably fine for your needs. Once everything is enabled, notice that "Others can connect to your computer at (address)" will show on the panel - make note of it and go over to your other system. If you're using a router and want to access your system from the internet, there'll be some extra steps to this.

You're now going to mount the computer with the files you want to your other computer. From the Finder, click on the Go menu and select "Connect to server" (shortcut is command+K). In the server address, enter the information that you saw in the panel. If you're on the same network (corporate network, home network) you should be able to just put the computer's name there and connect (the system would likely also show up in the "Shared" area of the Finder). If you're going through the internet, you'll need to enter the IP address. A screen should come up asking whether you'd want to log in as a guest, or as a user on the system. Use your login credentials, and another screen should come up asking what volumes you want to mount. If you don't have multiple drives or partitions, you'll only see one option. Select the volume(s) you want to mount, and select OK.

Now the drives should mount both on your desktop and on the Finder. Open and use them as though you were using any regular drive.

If your computer is behind a router and you're trying to access it from the internet, you'll need to forward the ports that filesharing utilizes to your computer. A quick Google search turns up port 548 as the default public personal file sharing port, so forward that port in your router to your system and this should work just fine.