Apple remote desktop question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Aug 11, 2008.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

I am looking into this software. Is there anything that is comparable that is less money? Second is, in one of their diagrams explaining software installs they show that it goes from the administrator computer to the task server.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/softwaredistribution.html

What I am wondering is, do you NEED a task server to distribute software with this application or do you just get the task server so that it will be running all the time where as the admin computer might not?

I wonder because I saw in the fine print that in order to get a task server running it requires another unlimited license purchase. It would make or break the deal if I had to have a task server in order to distribute software.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Cheaper? Not unless all you want is remote control (VNC).
    If you want all the other bells and whistles, then you need ARD.
    The task server just automates the process. You can run installer packages from the ARD admin tool at anytime. I don't know what the limit of the 10-license is, but it may be how many machines you can add to your list of controlled machines. If you have more than 10, then I'd definitely suggest getting unlimited license.