Apple Remote Desktop vs. Screensharing.app vs "Back to My Mac"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spamdumpster, May 28, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Can someone please explain the differences between these three methods of remotely accessing my iMac (Leopard 10.5.2) ("A") from another Mac (also running 10.5.2) ("B").

Currently, I use screensharing.app, with the extra features enabled per this link: http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/leopards-screen-sharing-app-can-be-expanded/ . Screen sharing is enabled on A, and port 5900 is forwarded on router (netgear).

This works ok, but it's slow, much slower, in fact, than windows remote desktop (between same locations, so it's not an issue with the connections). I'm using the second-lowest setting for image quality (black and white), so that's not too much of a problem either,

What is Apple Remote Desktop? Is it better than ScreenSharing.app? How about "Back to my Mac"? Enlighten me on these two other options.

Thanks!

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Pretty sure all 3 you mention use the same basic VNC technology, none of which are as fast as MS Remote Desktop.