Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Dec 8, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Purchased ARD 3.5.1 from the Mac App Store and am installing them on 4 Mac's (2 iMac's & 2 MBAir's). Any tips, suggestions, things I should do since I am new to this whole ordeal?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are you even asking? Installing Remote Desktop is straight forward.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Setting up a VNC correctly - if needed, proper way of getting remote access from anywhere in the world.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll need to configure your router for port forwarding if you're attempting to access your macs from the internet.

An easier solution is to use Logmein which is free for personal use. You'll need to worry about port forwarding anything with logmein.

5. thankins macrumors 6502

I agree with Maflynn....but if you want to do it

First off you will need a static IP address from your ISP, if you are at home then you probably have a dynamic address and will have to use DYNDNS and set it up on one of your Macs.

You don't have to install ARD on all four machines...only the machine you are using remotely to remote into the other machines.

After you have your static IP or dyndns then you will need to set your macs to have a internal static IP (192.168.x.x or whatever your subnet is)

After this configure port forwarding on your router. And since you want to remote into more than one on the same internal network you must use public and private ports. So the public ports would be 3283, 5900 and the private ports would be XXXX, XXXX and point it to one of your internal macs. The private port numbers would have to be different of course for each mac

Then after this go to your Macs and then click on Sys Pref. and then sharing and turn on Remote Management - selecting all the options.

Then make sure that awake for network access is turned on under Network in sys pref too.

Then when you are away from home open up ARD and connect using your static IP address or the DYNDNS address and the public port number you setup above for each machine.

For example here is how one of my clients look with fake DYNDNS address

sharemypc.dyndns.com:5901 - first mac
    sharemypc.dyndns.com:5902 - second mac
    sharemypc.dyndns.com:5903 - third mac

Did I mention that logmein is simpler and just an install away? This stuff above is pretty advanced and if not configured correctly would not work. ARD is meant more for internal use and for Sys Admins

6. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

We have LogMeIn already - the company want's to switch to ARD. I've been playing with it and I have a good understanding of the App and how it works so I think I'll be fine. My only issue is doing the DYNDNS since they 3 buildings they're in are all Dynamic and not static nor do they want to switch to Static.

If I'm the Admin and I'm traveling and one of the Client machines is traveling as well, if a DYNDNS is setup on that machine can I still connect in or will I have to know the IP address of that location to get into the machine?

Everything else is already setup on all 3 machines.

7. thankins macrumors 6502

As as IT admin I think you would want to sell them on a static IP. I mean the cost would be much cheaper than you dealing with the dyndns. any IT guy will tell you that a small business should have a static IP for it allows a lot more IT mange,ent to take place

And no that client machine wouldn't work cause - they would be on a different router (Starbucks, hotel wifi) and it wouldn't have a local static ip and port forwarding wouldn't be setup

Again - based on theses post your experience doesn't seem that high. I would stay with LogMeIn or Teamviewer