Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
I have a room full of Macs running Lion and would like to control what all of the people using the Macs are doing on their computers? So in other words, I would like to be able to force them to view what I am doing on my Mac, or turn off their screens completely, or monitor what they are doing.

Is Apple Remote Desktop https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-remote-desktop/id409907375?mt=12 the program that does this?

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a room full of Macs running Lion and would like to control what all of the people using the Macs are doing on their computers? So in other words, I would like to be able to force them to view what I am doing on my Mac, or turn off their screens completely, or monitor what they are doing.

Is Apple Remote Desktop https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-remote-desktop/id409907375?mt=12 the program that does this?

Thanks.

You try to do two things at once which can't be done with ARD, if you want to control all of those Mac's you can do so with ARD, what you can't do at the same time is them to look nat your screen with ARD.
If you want them to see your screen you need to use screen sharing from each Mac to your Mac.
I am controlling my Mini with ARD, works well but best way to do so is wired instead of wireless.
You can control the remote Mac(s) with local or without local control, what I mean with this is, you can push a button inside ARD which disables the mouse and keyboard or have them both enabled on both Macs.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for your reply.

Does Apple make another similar program or is this the only one they have to do this type of thing?

I'm just confused because I thought that this program use to cost around $500.

Thanks.

You try to do two things at once which can't be done with ARD, if you want to control all of those Mac's you can do so with ARD, what you can't do at the same time is them to look nat your screen with ARD.
If you want them to see your screen you need to use screen sharing from each Mac to your Mac.
I am controlling my Mini with ARD, works well but best way to do so is wired instead of wireless.
You can control the remote Mac(s) with local or without local control, what I mean with this is, you can push a button inside ARD which disables the mouse and keyboard or have them both enabled on both Macs.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks for your reply.

Does Apple make another similar program or is this the only one they have to do this type of thing?

I'm just confused because I thought that this program use to cost around $500.

Thanks.

$79.99

Apple Remote Desktop - Appstore

Screen sharing is included in OS X, no need to pay for that.

There are also plenty of other VNC's some of them free, like chicken - team viewer amongst others.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If remote control is all that you want, then look for the free versions of LogMein or as mentioned TeamViewer. ARD gives you a more robust remote mangement suite of tools, you need only buy one copy and then use your main Mac to remotely access manage the other Macs. You shouldn't need to buy ARD and install it on all computers, its intended to manage Macs from one computer. You don't need it for the client portions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.