Apple Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nicholas Mosher, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Nicholas Mosher macrumors member

Nicholas Mosher

A few questions...

Using Remote Desktop on my MacBook and a 20" 1920x1200 ACD, can I run GPU intensive applications that are PC only (eg. AutoCad) on a separate PC and view/control them on my MacBook in all their glory over my home network?

2. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

You should be able to do this using just regular VNC. If you're using Leapord, there is a client built in that should work fine over a local network. If not, try Chicken of the VNC (free, basic client that works well). You'll need some type of VNC server running on the Windows machine though.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

VNC works well enough that it is fully usable but it is not nearly are fast and snappy as being a the local console. Even with a gigabit eithernet connection there is a bit of "lag". But it is usable.

Most of the time you will get better performance if you install Windows on the Mac using Fusion.

4. Nicholas Mosher thread starter macrumors member

Nicholas Mosher

Thats exactly what I was worried about...

Thanks for the info.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

FYI you needn't use ARD. You can enable ARD serving on any OS X machine under System Preference-->Sharing. Then you need to install a viewer on the host machine. There are many available, including JollyFast VNC and Chicken of the VNC.

ARD has some benefits. I don't know if it is any faster, but it is certainly more expensive!