Apple Remote in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Aug 24, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

So I remember hearing earlier that when people tried to use their Apple Remotes in Snow Leopard, the remote would keep calling up Front Row and changing the system volume in addition to navigating Hulu Desktop. So it sounds like there was a bug in SL that prevented the OS from ignoring the remote input when an app was using it.

Can anyone confirm whether this is still true or not? I particularly care in regards to Hulu Desktop.

2. andersonshatch macrumors newbie

Still happens in VLC unfortunately, can't test Hulu as I'm in the UK though.

3. devburke thread starter Guest

Crap. Along with SL I ordered a mini-DVI to video adapter, I was excited to be able to use Hulu Desktop on my TV. ::sigh::

4. Allen Werner macrumors newbie

Hulu desktop, Plex, and Boxee all apparently have this problem with snow leopard. Kind of annoying. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If I'm using the remote with VLC, pressing the play/pause button opens iTunes every time. And since I have those two apps in different Spaces, it drives me insane.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

Yeah, I get this with Spotify and EyeTV all the time! And with the media keys on the keyboard as well, not just the remote

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I've found that I can just turn down iTunes' volume, or pull up the iTunes Store so that it won't play anything, and avoid the problem. I have to remember to do that or use my iTunes remote on my iPod touch to do it though, so it's slightly annoying, but I've been managing.

I'm using Plex, btw, but those solutions should work for anyone.

jW

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Same here, I hope Apple recognizes this is a problem and fixes this, it wasn't doing this in Leopard. I can't pause my EyeTV using the Apple remote and then resume playback without it launching iTunes.

9. jointsmoking macrumors regular

+1 - I've been getting it with EyeTV since I upgraded.

10. devburke thread starter Guest

But how do you prevent the Menu button from invoking Front Row?

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For me, I haven't been having that problem. When I have the remote "Always Running" in Plex, it still overrides launching Front Row, as far as I can tell.

jW