Apple Remote not working with Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scorpio12345, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Scorpio12345 macrumors member

Hi there,

I woke up to quite a strange problem today... My Apple Remote is no longer working with my Mac Mini! I tried all the controls, including launching front row, and the volume controls - but no go...

I even tried it in Windows BootCamp under iTunes, but it still wouldn't work..

I tried pairing it in System preferences, but again, it wouldn't recognise my apple remote when i held down the Menu+fast forward keys for 5 seconds...

The weird thing is, it works fine with my iMac on another floor (out of plain sight from my Mini..), and it isn't paired with the iMac or anything...

Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Have you by any chance turned off the IR sensor in system preferences/security ?

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

Did you install another media center application? They sometimes take control of the remote preventing it from working with front row.

4. Scorpio12345 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys...

The IR Sensor is indeed enabled in preferences.. I tried disabling it and re-enabling it but it didn't make a difference...

I do have Plex installed, but i know that isn't the problem, coz the remote won't work under Windows either, which it should regardless of any app installed on OS X...

Also, Plex controls the remote via a process known as XBOXMediaHelper, and that doesn't run if PLEX is shut..

So yeah, it isn't a media center app... I don't have a clue what it could be! It was working fine only yesterday! And i havent changed any configuration options or anything..

Any other ideas guys? I really do appreciate any help...

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

...but it works with the iMac so if the IR sensor on the Mini is turned on in system preferences then it must be the IR sensor not working on the Mini....