Apple remote p!$$!ng me off under Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmadandproud, Aug 24, 2009.

1. macmadandproud macrumors member

So, things were fine before, but under the latest release of SL, my Apple remote insists on launching itunes no matter what app I'm in. Example, I'm in VLC watching a movie, I pause it, and 'boom' I get itunes and a damn song playing.

I have tried 3rd party apps like remote buddy, to no avail... is anyone else having this issue? Is this an SL bug?

Before you all flame me for having it, I am a technology teacher and an apple developer, and got SL form ADC.

I would really appreciate some help with this, it's driving me nuts!

Thanks!

R

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't have SL yet, so I'm guessing ...

Is there any option in System Preferences?

3. macmadandproud thread starter macrumors member

Nope, the only option os to disable the remote all together, which defeats the point! :confused:

4. the2j macrumors member

the2j

I am having the same problems, has anyone came up with a working solution ?

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The play button on the new unibodies launches iTunes if nothing is “playing” (i.e. playing in iTunes).

Apple seems to be blissfully unaware that 3rd party apps (such as Spotify and VLC) have been using the media controllers for a while (both the keyboard and Apple Remote).

6. donbenjy macrumors 6502

ah man, I thought I'd read a thread about a fix for this, but I guess not...Does anyone appear to be getting it kinda sporadically? I'm fairly sure that it didn't happen that often when I was using Spotify, though to be fair, I often have both open anyway!

7. S1XStringMayhem macrumors newbie

This only happens to me when the app I'm using isn't the active window at the time. Make sure yours is and then try it. If it is and your still having this problem try syncing your remote with another mac and then back
    to yours. Good luck guys.

8. tmacdjd macrumors newbie

I cant get my remote to work properly either.
    Plan on sorting it tonight when home from work, when i find a solution i will post it for everyone.

9. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

This is driving me nuts too! When I'm in Plex and hit menu front row pops up, hit play and iTunes starts. I'm really wishing I didn't update to SL:rolleyes:

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It's VLC's fault. They haven't updated their code to accept snow leopard's button string values.

Check your console if you don't believe me. (Spotlight > Console)

11. psxtreme macrumors member

There is a fix for this by installing a driver that someone wrote. You can get more info about it on the plex website.

12. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84