Apple Remote pairing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ViM, Dec 27, 2008.

1. ViM macrumors regular

I've got a g4 mac mini, i bought a usb ir receiver but it doesn't pair with the apple remote from my imac. I press menu/next and nothing happens. Is there a specific spectrum that the apple remote uses?

thanks in advance

2. ViM thread starter macrumors regular

thank you, that was really helpful i never would have thought to use google search. Maybe i just have a dud apple remote as the google search page that came up didn't show any specific reason why it wouldn't work with a generic ir receiver (digitech xc-4889).

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Sorry man, I saw a lot of discussions on exactly what you are looking for. I guess it is much easier to post a thread and wait for answers then to search for them. You also did not specify the usb IR receiver you are using.

Compatibility with older Macs
    Using the third-party remote software mira (from Twisted Melon) or Remote Buddy (from IOSPIRIT GmbH) users of older Macs can use the Apple Remote with a USB-based IR receiver. Most new Mac models come equipped with a built-in infrared receiver, but previous generation products lack any such IR device. Even the Mac Pro desktops released in the summer of 2006 lack built-in IR. Using Remote Buddy or mira, it is possible to connect an external USB receiver such as the Windows Media Center Edition eHome receiver, and use the Apple Remote on older machines with full support for sleep, pairing, low battery detection, and Front Row. In addition, Remote Buddy is able to emulate events of an Apple Remote on these systems, enabling users to use software written for the Apple Remote in exactly the same way as with newer Macs.

4. ViM thread starter macrumors regular

well i realised that i didn't specify the ir receiver but i amended that in the second post. It's branded as a windows media centre remote control, digitech xc-4889. However it doesn't say if it is the ehome 2005 receiver.

I can't pair the apple remote with the ir receiver either under mira's inbuilt pair setting or by pressing the menu/next keys. However in remote buddy if i use the controller that came with it, volume and up/down works but every other button doesn't do anything. So that ir receiver isn't faulty which just leaves the apple remote pairing issue.