Apple Remote - what does it do?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Estel, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Estel macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm a little confused about how the Apple Remote works. It seems to be the same remote for use with any computer, iPod dock or whatever.

Now, I will shortly be getting a MacBook, and also plan to get a dock for my iPod. My worry is that there will be a confliction here.

When I use the remote, how will it know whether it is meant to be talking to the iPod dock, or to the MacBook? Do I need to buy two remotes, one for each? Are they different?

Also, is it possible to buy a dock without the remote? I am a student and so can get a HE discount on a remote alone, but I can't get a discount on the dock, so it would make sense to buy them seperately if possible...

Lots of questions, sorry!

Estel :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can use it to control media (movies, music, pictures) presentations as well as Keynote presentations (probably PowerPoint, as well).

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

On the Mac, the remote will activate and control Front Row. Via the iPod dock, the remote will control the iPod.

You can pair a specific remote to a specific device to prevent one remote from activating multiple devices. You don't need to buy a different remote; you can pair one of your remotes specifically to the Mac so only that one remote will activate your Mac's Front Row.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

like they've said, you can pair a device with a remote so that that device will only respond to that remote.
    (the remote will control the device you pair it with, and any devices that haven't been paired)

pairing the dock

pairing with the macbook

The remote can be used to control presentations in Apple Keynote (on both Intel Macs & PPC Macs), OpenOffice.org Impress presentations, or presentations in Microsoft Powerpoint 2008, picture slide shows in iPhoto and Aperture , QuickTime, DVD Player, and audio in iTunes along with frontrow
    Thanks to Wiki for that.

there is also a program called remote buddy that will let you get more functionality from the remote, such as custom key mapping for different programs, mouse and keyboard functionality, and the ability to browse files and your music library.
    You can also use a Wii-mote to control things with remote buddy. including mouse mode, where you move the mouse by pointing at the screen.